Kubota BX fuel sending unit issue?

Baalz

Equipment
Kubota BX2670
Jan 19, 2014
Havre de Grace, MD
After my fuel filter had clogged twice in a few months. I did some research and found that the fuel sending units can rust inside the fuel tank. Sure enough mine was rusted and is most likely my culprit.
Now here is the big problem. Kubota discontinued the part # K2771-61370. You can't find a single one within the US. I have called around to a few dealers.
Messisk's tells me the part was replaced by part " K2581-54720, which is the fuel tank assembly. The parts guy online said it is integrated now. But looking at the diagram for that part. It just looks like the tank I have with the hole for the sending unit.
What can I do? Seal the hole where Sending unit goes and have no gas gauge anymore?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Bob

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Somethings not right as they are still using the sending units in the new and current production B23S. :confused:

Baalz

Equipment
Kubota BX2670
Jan 19, 2014
Havre de Grace, MD
No idea what I can do. My tractor is torn down to replace the unit.
So the best I can do at this point. Is take out old unit, remove all the rust. It is not a total mess. Then apply Red-Kote? to the unit and replace.

Has anyone used another unit in a BX?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try calling Coleman's (yes to get a second answer) and see what they say, there has to be something available, as like I said the current production BX23S is using the same sending unit, so something has to be available! ;)

https://www.colemanequip.com/

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I have an unreliable level transmitter on the Bx, but I just make sure to refuel every time I use the tractor. I don't think the repair is worth the effort, and I'm just not going to do it.

A full tank will run the tractor for well over 4 hours, and most owners don't go that long with it. I sure don't.

Baalz

Equipment
Kubota BX2670
Jan 19, 2014
Havre de Grace, MD
Update!
I called Colemans and they did not have one. They emailed me a list of the dealers in the country that do have them. Four dealers listed 1 available.
I called all four and they did not have the part.
This part is discontinued and nobody in this country has it.

How is this even possible?

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
Are we to assume that if we have a rusted out fuel sending unit the whole tank needs to be replaced each time? Something is definitely wrong with this picture! I wonder if the other brands use the same or similar sending unit?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Update!
I called Colemans and they did not have one. They emailed me a list of the dealers in the country that do have them. Four dealers listed 1 available.
I called all four and they did not have the part.
This part is discontinued and nobody in this country has it.

How is this even possible?
That says that it has been a huge problem!!!! This and the HST fan are two things that are "wrong" with the BX series!!!

NOT having any replacement available says something!:(

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My apologies for not researching first.... the sending unit is solely for the fuel gauge, or does it compromise/interfere/plug the tank outlet?
I know it’s been an issue for a while as Hokie said.
I’m thinking I would just forego the fuel gauge, not very accurate on my BX anyway....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Someone on here had the same problem. He cleaned all the rust off and used something to coat it with that was fuel proof. Maybe someone remembers or can find the thread.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
No idea what I can do. My tractor is torn down to replace the unit.
So the best I can do at this point. Is take out old unit, remove all the rust. It is not a total mess. Then apply Red-Kote? to the unit and replace.

Has anyone used another unit in a BX?
Looking it up ....there are several places to "get one" - yet they are ALL saying discontinued with NO new part listed......must be the new ones are still bad too.

Having the choice of no replacement - or coming up with a universal fit might work to.

I replaced one on my boat - it was simple, not sure it would work in the tight confines of the BX tank - but for the cost, it might be worth a shot - Like D2Cat said .....try something else!

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marine-Electric-Universal-Sending/dp/B000MTCRAA

Last edited:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Fuel gauge on my BX25 has been a problem as well (only issue, so far, touch wood). I just fill her up any time I put any hours on it. I guess if the rust starts creating issues it will be on to plan B.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Cost of the fuel tank assembly is $205.54. (K2581-54720) (Coleman Equipment's price)

K2581-54720 is the tank used on BX1880, BX2380 and BX23S

It also is the replacement for K2581-54709 which is the latest fuel tank assembly referenced for the OP's BX2670.

While the same sending unit may be used in newer models (BX2380 and BX23S), neither of these tractors shows the sending unit as a separate item.

It appears the only option from Kubota is a fuel tank assembly. If this is not suitable for the OP, other options include foregoing the sending unit or find a suitable aftermarket sending unit with matching electrical output for full and empty.

Added in edit:

I didn't know there are places that repair sending units. Perhaps you want to investigate if it is possible to repair and cost. Example: http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

The old sending unit was $97.54 (referenced Messick's) and now Kubota requires an owner to shell out $200+ for the same repair, but no guarantee the new sending unit is better than the old. Sounds like a winner for Kubota Corp.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Polaris did the same thing with their Rangers. My fuel pump gave up and the fix was a new tank with the pump mounted inside. Cost was over $600.

I went to Oreilly automotive to get a pump. They needed to order it in, so I just ordered it off the internet. Cost less than $30. I had to replace the end connection....that's all. Been working for over 4 years now!

Sometimes you just have to get creative, even if you don't have an inventive mind.