hydraulics

woodboys

Equipment
l245,grader blade,box blade bush hog ,disk ,double plow, row hipper
Nov 18, 2014
cookeville tenn 38501
does any one no how to tell when your common resivor on a l245 is full no its a little low but dont know whenits full.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Left side of the transmission housing, just rear of the clutch pedal, you should see a red painted hex head . That is the fluid full level.

Remove it, if oil flows out , your overfilled. If not, add oil through the top filler plug until it just starts to come out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Left side of the transmission housing, just rear of the clutch pedal, you should see a red painted hex head . That is the fluid full level.

Remove it, if oil flows out , your overfilled. If not, add oil through the top filler plug until it just starts to come out.

Make sure you are on dead balls level ground!!!!!!!!:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How do you get dead balls level??? :confused:
Very carefully, and don't ever try live balls! :D

Origin of terminology "dead nuts" accurate or "dead balls" accurate?

What is the origin of this term? I have heard it might originate in analog scales, where the zero was set by turning nuts, so dead nuts level was completely accurate; I have heard that might originate as a measurement term, when there is no movement on a scale or in a leveling bubble, so it was dead zero (a.k.a dead naught) and then misspelled.

I have also hear dead balls as a term meaning the same thing. Also dead balls on accurate or similar.

I know that balls out or balls to the wall originated in steam engines when the throttle was on full, and the earliest form of speedometer was a whirling indicator at the top of the machine with weighted balls that would fly outward more as the rate of spin increased, so balls out or balls to the wall would mean full throttle. I don't quite see a connection from that to dead balls though, unless it meant full stop.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Very carefully, and don't ever try live balls! :D

Origin of terminology "dead nuts" accurate or "dead balls" accurate?

What is the origin of this term? I have heard it might originate in analog scales, where the zero was set by turning nuts, so dead nuts level was completely accurate; I have heard that might originate as a measurement term, when there is no movement on a scale or in a leveling bubble, so it was dead zero (a.k.a dead naught) and then misspelled.

I have also hear dead balls as a term meaning the same thing. Also dead balls on accurate or similar.

I know that balls out or balls to the wall originated in steam engines when the throttle was on full, and the earliest form of speedometer was a whirling indicator at the top of the machine with weighted balls that would fly outward more as the rate of spin increased, so balls out or balls to the wall would mean full throttle. I don't quite see a connection from that to dead balls though, unless it meant full stop.
I've heard the term was used in reference to the balls on the throttles of WWII planes. When they were pushed all the way forward it was "balls to the walls".

Take your choice.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Gee did you guys live a sheltered life or what? Any one else ever see a pool table being leveled?

Robert
Yup, wrecking ball through the center of it.
Dead nuts center of the table, accurate. It killed them all, dead balls.:rolleyes::cool::D

Dead Balls. You place the cue ball any place on the table and it will not move if the table is level.

Dead nuts accurate = vasectomy, just shooting blanks -no baby.:eek:
Dead nuts accurate = castrating a calf at 100 yards with a 22.

Balls to the wall. An episode of Cops where they slam a man face first into a wall then cuff them.
Commonly thought to originate with fighter pilots pushing the throttle full forward. Term also used by steam engine operators - pushing the throttle full forward.

Balls out = arrested for public indecency.
Balls out = governor on a steam engine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ste...hism_of_the_Steam_Engine%2C_1904).jpg;362;481

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yes, the 'whirling balls' is a steam engines governor, not speedometer. It is also used on older static internal combustion engines such as hit-and-miss, line driving, power generation, etc. Simple and effective governor.

As to the other terms, I'm sure there's more sources of the colloquialisms than we know. Terms like "The Full Nine Yards", oddly, have more than one applicable source as well. So call it the beauty of the English Language.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes, the 'whirling balls' is a steam engines governor, not speedometer. It is also used on older static internal combustion engines such as hit-and-miss, line driving, power generation, etc. Simple and effective governor.

As to the other terms, I'm sure there's more sources of the colloquialisms than we know. Terms like "The Full Nine Yards", oddly, have more than one applicable source as well. So call it the beauty of the English Language.

how about "slicker than eel shyte" :D

or ( i use in the classroom )

Dumb as a box of rocks .........
(one time i made a small box and had different colored rocks in it - when a kid said something completely stupid - which color rock are you?):eek:

or

how bout "dead as five o'clock"

ok - too damn late for me to think.....

ugly as a split rail fence????:eek:

dayum thats ugly .............:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Never hear of this one. "ugly as a split rail fence????". I never thought a split rail fence was ugly.

How about ugly enough to make a freight train take a gravel road?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Boy,OP must think you guys is nuts.....
Good entertainment regardless.
If i had a picture of oil level plug i would post it. I mean as it sits on the level tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Boy,OP must think you guys is nuts.....
Good entertainment regardless.
If i had a picture of oil level plug i would post it. I mean as it sits on the level tractor.

nuts......like dead nuts???? ok - i had to - it was there!

funny what one will do for a laugh! even at one's self:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Was going to beat you with an ugly stick but it ran away.

When you were born did the doctor slap your parents?