Glow plugs

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
All of a sudden my glow plugs have seemed to quit working. Light on dash lights up, but it just cranks away until it starts. Prior to this, I'd warm the plugs for a 7 count and bang, it would start almost immediately. It lives in a heated garage so the cold is not an issue.

I've not had time to look it over real good, but does this sound like a blown fuse maybe? Just looking for a starting point.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
All of a sudden my glow plugs have seemed to quit working. Light on dash lights up, but it just cranks away until it starts. Prior to this, I'd warm the plugs for a 7 count and bang, it would start almost immediately. It lives in a heated garage so the cold is not an issue.

I've not had time to look it over real good, but does this sound like a blown fuse maybe? Just looking for a starting point.
Toyboy,

Do you have a V.O.M. (volt / ohm meter) ?? If so, disconnect the main wire from the strap that runs between the glow plugs. Clip the red VOM wire to it, and clip the black wire to a good engine ground. Turn the key to the glow plug position and see if the volt meter shows about 12 vdc. If not, you may have a blown fuse or a relay that is blown. If it shows about 12 vdc, then check ALL the connections at the glow plugs, making sure they are clean and tight. Check for 12vdc at glow plugs again. If not, you may have a loose or dirty connection at the ignition switch (that was the problem I had). Again, check and clean connections at ignition switch. Should take care of problem.

Good luck.

Dave

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I had a similar issue with my BX2230 the last couple of weeks. I found that the power wire terminal at the glow plug buss bar had broken off. A five minute fix, and it was as good as new. :)

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I had a similar issue with my BX2230 the last couple of weeks. I found that the power wire terminal at the glow plug buss bar had broken off. A five minute fix, and it was as good as new. :)
Where would I find that?

If that's good, I'll go down the checklist that Pepsiboy listed. Being Thanksgiving and having guests I'll not get a chance to look at it today.
Thanks and have a Great Thanksgiving.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
On the left side of the engine next to the valve cover, there is a metal strip that connects across the top of the three glow plugs. On mine,it is painted gray but the paint is coming off exposing the copper color. On the back edge, there is a power wire with a spade terminal that is held onto the buss bar by a stud and nut. If that wire is not solidly connected to the buss bar, the glow plugs will not work.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Update:
I did what you guys suggested, except the continuity test (no meter). Started at the buss bar and worked my way back the the ignition switch. Shined up all I could w/steel wool added some dielectric grease to all wiring quick connects & fuses. Even took the ignition switch out and flushed it out and re-lubed.

Give it a try and BANG.... started right up. I'm not sure which thing I did to correct the problem, but thanks for giving me a map to look for it.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Update:
I did what you guys suggested, except the continuity test (no meter). Started at the buss bar and worked my way back the the ignition switch. Shined up all I could w/steel wool added some dielectric grease to all wiring quick connects & fuses. Even took the ignition switch out and flushed it out and re-lubed.

Give it a try and BANG.... started right up. I'm not sure which thing I did to correct the problem, but thanks for giving me a map to look for it.
Toyboy,

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. :D Sounds like you did a good job of preventive maintenance, also. :cool: Keep up the good work and ENJOY what you can get done with the BX.

Dave