ZD 28 Broken Axle

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I have a buddy that had a axle break on his ZD28 the other day while mowing his yard. It broke between the housing and wheel flange with no damage to the housing. I did a search and a post turned up on another forum about this problem with several ZD28s, and Kubota paid for the parts to repair them out of warranty. My questions: has anybody heard of this type of failure with the ZD28? Does anybody have a e-mail or snail mail address for Kubota customer service? I told my friend to send his repair invoice from our Kubota dealer and request reimbursement for the axle shaft if there was a history of some being defective.

Steve

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think I would go to the dealer first. Be more likely to get something done before any repairs are made to the mower. After it's fixed they don't have a reason to get in a hurry but if you're standing there wanting results they are more likely to build a fire under somebodies butt.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
If the dealer says they can't fix it without the Kubota rep authorizing an out of warranty repair it can sit forever. The dealer can only do it and hope they get their money back from Kubota. If you have the repairs made and request a reasonable reimbursement from Kubota you might have a 10% chance of getting something. Doesn't hurt to ask. Make them say no

Steve

Smitty52

Equipment
ZD28
Jul 2, 2014
Greensburg,Indiana,USA
Both axels broke on my ZD28 about a month apart. 2nd one was today. Havent gotten bill for first one yet. 630 hours. Looks just like others described, crack looked old the snapped. Anyone heard of Kubota helping out.

Lucky1

Aug 19, 2014
Grain Valley, MO
My dads ZD28 had an axle break last night, 550 hours, disassembled it and took it to the dealer today for them to look at. I have to get the parts and fix it so I don't have time to wait for a warranty answer. Granted the mower is 10 years old but this is clearly a workmanship issue of the material. This mower has been babied for it life. I can see where a crack developed on mine prior to breaking. I will request to speak directly with a kubota representative. Since I own a couple manufacturing companies I will have a metallurgical analysis of the axle if they are resistant to at least replace the parts. It is interesting to see that this failure has already happened to others. Rex