B6100 front PTO shaft stops under minor load

EnoreeG

Equipment
Kubota B6100E 2wd, Woods 348 belly mower
Aug 19, 2014
Travelers Rest, SC
I have a B6100E, 2wd which runs fine. I just re-attached the Woods 348 belly mower which used to work on this tractor. No belt or connection changes. Only change to the tractor is I now have a new, strong battery. Hadn't used the mower for about 9 months. Previously, I had a poor battery and the PTO clutch would slip when well warmed up, but the mower worked fine to that point. But now, when I flip the electric PTO switch to "on", and the clutch engages, it stops the PTO shaft dead in it's tracks and a growling noise come from the engine (a coupling?). But I can turn the belt that runs over the clutch pulley by hand with the tractor stopped with about 20 lb. force -- about normal resistance. What's the problem?

Tried so far: I removed the belt to the Woods mower from the PTO pulley, and when I flip the front PTO switch on, the clutch engages and the unloaded pulley turns. If I apply about 10 pounds pressure by pushing my foot against the turning pulley though, it will halt the whole shaft, with no slip in the clutch. The growling then again comes from the hidden end of the shaft, in the engine.

What's the problem? I appreciate any help I can get on this!

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Since I have the same set-up except with a Kubota deck, I would say the bearing in the clutch is bad, since you can stall out your tractor with your foot, I would take the pto off the front and investigate, its on a taper shaft, easy to get to.

Big Kahuna

EnoreeG

Equipment
Aug 19, 2014
Travelers Rest, SC
... since you can stall out your tractor with your foot, I would take the pto off the front and investigate, its on a taper shaft, easy to get to. Big Kahuna
Actually, the engine keeps running, but it stalls the PTO shaft, and that ugly noise commences and will persist as long as the engine runs and the shaft is stopped.

I'm not saying this proves the bearing is OK. It could well be bad. Just giving you more precise information on exactly what I'm able to stop when I put my foot on it, in case it changes your idea.

I will say that the shaft turns smoothly and quietly in the clutch housing when there's no load, both with the clutch engaged and not engaged. However, if I have the engine off and just turn the disengaged shaft by pulling the belt, there does seem to be a bit of bearing noise. Could be I can just hear better with no engine noise.

Let me know if it still seems to be a bearing problem. I won't doubt it, but it's a strange time for it to show up. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Even with more info I'll second the bad bearing. ;)

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The front pto shaft has female splines and the end of the engine crankshaft has male splines where they connect. My guess is the female splines on the inside of the pto shaft have stripped out and the noise you are hearing is the splines slipping.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with the previous post about bearing failure and spline wear.

You mention, "Previously, I had a poor battery and the PTO clutch would slip when well warmed up, but the mower worked fine to that point." This problem is not related to a poor battery, they just occurred at the same time.

If the shaft splines a wore to point of not engaging a new shaft will be required.

I had the exact same problem with a B6100 I owned many moons ago!

EnoreeG

Equipment
Aug 19, 2014
Travelers Rest, SC
The front pto shaft has female splines and the end of the engine crankshaft has male splines where they connect. My guess is the female splines on the inside of the pto shaft have stripped out and the noise you are hearing is the splines slipping.
This proved to be the case. So far, just by sound, the clutch bearings seem fine but the splines are shot.

I'm guessing the way this came about so suddenly is I was jump-starting the tractor on the last mowings, the clutch engaged slowly due to the low amps, and no stress was put on the splines. Once I got the new battery, the little rusty steel holding things tight just wasn't enough and I got an immediate strip of the remaining spline.

Now I'm looking for the fix. There were 2 washers used as spacers between the clutch housing and the frame which I've removed to get more penetration. This may hold until I get a permanent fix. It definitely stops the slippage under moderate load. We'll see what happens when I engage the clutch with the mower belt attached.

Thanks for the help.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Well since I have the owners manual with parts break down, I ran the number..........guess what.........its GOOD....B-9320 clutch, Front PTO
70080-00346 shaft, assembly w/18mm X 22T splines $61.20 at Messicks 3-5 days delivery, might as well get ya one and get back in mowing.

Big Kahuna