M8540 transmission will not pull up a hill after backing down

Airdriver

Equipment
M8540 L3650
Feb 4, 2013
Flint Hill Virginia USA
Actually two things. Most hours on the tractor are with 8 foot Bushog.

1. Back down a hill and stop and try to go uphill, no movement. Shuttle forward, release clutch, nothing.

2. Clutch pedal will not return to full UP position. Will go down only 2 to 3 inches and return.

Tractor is sometimes used in the woods, but nothing is obviously wrong under the tractor where clutch, shuttle, etc are attached.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you tell me exactly which model you have, there are quite a few models (21 to be exact) and several different clutch setups.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No need to Apologize, it's just that I know this model have many variations.

Well you do not have a mechanical clutch disk, you only have a hydraulic clutch.
With these it's really common for the cable that controls the hydraulic clutch to get caught by debris and either get damaged, stretched or knocked out of whack.
Look at these parts real close for any damage.

Attachments

Airdriver

Equipment
M8540 L3650
Feb 4, 2013
Flint Hill Virginia USA
Thanks for the suggestion and the diagram!

Odds are very good that this is the problem, as the drive train seems to have enough to move on flatish surfaces. I will look at it this a.m.

Can not see the upper portion of the clutch on quick examination, so it looks like some sheet metal will have to come off.

I am guessing it is not normal for the shuttle not to fully engage when on hills. To some extent it did this previously when I was working a big manure pile on the side of gentle hill.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
It wouldn't hurt to check hyd pressure if there's a test port. How long since hyd filters were changed?

Airdriver

Equipment
M8540 L3650
Feb 4, 2013
Flint Hill Virginia USA
The spring marked 100 on the diagram seems to be missing, although I do not yet have the orange plastic cowl over the clutch assembly (and instrument cluster) totally off.

With 4 obvious fasteners off, the cowl is loose except at the center top where it is tight.

Is there another fastener at the center top, or is there simply a friction hold clip that will pop right off. I do not want to break anything by forcing off what I think may be a friction hold if in fact there is another fastener to remove.

Tx Jim: Thank you for the suggestion. Both hyd filters were changed about 210 hrs ago and fluid on dipstick looks like new.

Last edited:

Airdriver

Equipment
M8540 L3650
Feb 4, 2013
Flint Hill Virginia USA
I ordered a spring which should be here soon. BTW, Messicks said they had sold only 5 in the last two years and Winchester Equipment said the same. Lucky me!

The last bolt, #70 on the diagram, is behind a piece of tape and is exactly at the level of the arc of the hood (bonnet). Whether up, down, or in between, I do not have a tool short enough to take that bolt out without removing the hood, which I have not yet done.

My wife with her tiny hands thinks she can get the spring into place.

We will try the trick of putting the spring in a vice and extending it, inserting washers to keep it extended. It might even work!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm curious to see if that one spring fixes the problem. Looks like if that's all that was wrong the clutch pedal could have been held up by foot, put the shuttle in forward and drove it out.

Of course it wouldn't be the first time a $2 part shut down the entire operation.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I cut a notch into a long flat screwdriver to aid in placing a spring. Also have a t handle with a tiny hook to pull the spring if needed.

Hope that solves it.
Lifting on a pedal to engage clutch may not work- the cable may just flex.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's so easy to get sticks jammed into places they shouldn't be while bushhogging. I bet you're going to find something is bent or at least out of adjustment before this is over. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's something simple that does break your wallet.