Tire slow leak fix

plowman12

Equipment
L245DT,FEL 1200,Woods rotary mower
Aug 9, 2014
colville,wa
Hi guys,
Just bought a L245DT and found that my right rear tire has a slow leak. Tires were never ballasted and I think are still tubeless. What is the best easy fix for this condition.

I also expect to have many other questions for members as this is my first tractor.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Tire slime is what he meant.it will seal a puncture, not a sidewall or rim leak. It works very well, had a demo tire at the parts store where i worked.
That thing had hundreds of holes poked in it.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tire slime is what he meant.it will seal a puncture, not a sidewall or rim leak. It works very well, had a demo tire at the parts store where i worked.
That thing had hundreds of holes poked in it.

Also called GREEN slime - really good stuff, does not hurt tire, rim and will not hurt the guy taking tire off rim. Get it almost anywhere.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally think slime is great for certain conditions, a rear tire on a tractor is not one of them! ;)
If the tread is good just get a tube for them, it will save you a ton of abuse down the line, especially over the winter!

Oh a greetings from just east of you! :D

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
WHERE is the slow leak?
If its a valve stem or core, just change it.
If its a rim, tire slime won't do any good anyway and if you're gonna pull it- might as well tube it.
If its a minor tread puncture the slimy goop will probably fix it for at least for awhile.

plowman12

Equipment
Aug 9, 2014
colville,wa
Thanks to all for your advice! I have in the past used green slime in ATV and cart tires with good success but nothing the size of these rears.

The treads not great on these, but I'm not eager to buy new just yet so will check into getting this one tubed.

Are tractor tires coded like car and truck tires so that you can tell the age by reading the sidewall? These are Bridgestones made in Japan and may be the originals. Some cracking on the sidewalls on the rears.

Wolfman - thanks for the special greeting! I almost bought a tractor in Sandpoint, but picked this one up in Spokane.

Chuck M.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd put tubes in both rears, and have them filled with either rimguard or cacl. You will want the weight. I had filled rears, then made dualies, and had up to 210 lbs/side wheel weights, on my L185DT. Mostly I was trying for the stability and traction of the 245... Great tractor!
Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

plowman12

Equipment
Aug 9, 2014
colville,wa
Thanks again guys,
I may have dodged a bullet (at least for a while!) Found a slow leak in the valve stem. Disassembled, cleaned up and reinstalled. Currently no more leak there - will continue to check pressure to make sure that was the only leak.

Tubes may come later but at least for now I can move on to other issues.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
a spray bottle full of water and good shot of Dawn dish washing detergent along with a little time will almost always find a slow leak.