8560 50hr service

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I had heard of these 'fancy' exhaust systems and didn't know garbage about them. I didn't even know the acronym... DPF. So, reading this thread, curious about what they were (if anyone else is too... follow) I looked them up on the ol' Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Now, seems to me that if all you need to do it run it at a higher RPM (1500+), I'd just do it while working, I never run lower than that anyway while running it. If that article is right, it just needs to burn the soot to ash, so no biggie.

That cost at 3000 hours looks to be the equivalent of a catalytic converter on a car, so they are just replacing the catalyst.

I don't think my L3200 has a DPF system on it, in fact I think the salesman said they weren't putting such a system on it until this model year, so I may have 'lucked' out, but in the end, it's just a aesthetic choice... soot or gasses.

I could see road and in city industrial vehicles needing a system like this but on farms the soot doesn't go all that far, with far worse lung pollutants than diesel soot being ever present on a farm, the regulations for this stuff seem... unwise and lacking common sense consideration. Of course, that would expect a government to have common sense, which is not always the case in our reality.

Dirt Mover

Jan 9, 2014
Delaware
Tractor Man 2,
Thanks for your post's on this subject. I find it very interesting. My tractor is a B3350 (smaller than yours I know) it has the DPF system on it. Your information is very pertinent and informing for me.
DM

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Regen #19 @172hrs.

Regen# 20 @ 180.7hrs.

Shuttling dirt into back yards. (Dirt had to be dumped in front. No access to back with dump tuck) Then leveling dirt. A little more idle time on these 2 regen cycles. Not a big load put on the tractor while working.

Junior390

Equipment
M8560, L3400
Aug 16, 2013
East Texas
After a regen at 167.1 the next was 189.3. Sitting at 203.7 hrs now. 95 % of those hrs were spent mowing with the rpms around 2000. The weather has been much hotter and less humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Regen #21: 190.2hrs.

Regen #22: 198.2hrs.

Tractor is running great. Did have one minor issue. I had to take the tractor back to the dealer because my loader stick had become so stiff that I could not feather the controls at all. sometimes the loader control would hang up and not return on its own to the neutral position. It turned out to be the cables going from the control to the valve. They changed them under warranty and everything is as smooth as butter again. Other than that everything has been fine. This tractor seems to want to regen between 8-10 hrs. no matter what.

BB Farm

Equipment
M59, M8560, ZD331
Aug 18, 2014
Linn, Mo
I bought a 8560 used and thety can't find the manual yet. Is there a place to load in online for free PDF?

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Yes sir there is. I downloaded it but cant recall just how I got to it. If you give me your e-mail address I will send you a copy. By the way did you chek the storage compartment built in to the back of the seat? Might be there.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Checking the seat back would have saved me $22.... I learned about it in the manual. Ooh the irony.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Had a buddy that worked in a refinery. The red dye is just that and it's put in all diesel. Just different levels between on road and off road.
Back in the day diesel used to have higher sulfur levels in off road diesel, but I think it may all be the same sulfur level now...

Similar to dye in aviation fuel, to make it simple to tell the difference. Taxes are different on on road diesel fuel.

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I have a 4060hstc. First regen at 28 hours. Have 18 hours on it since regen and particle screen us showing 65%. Will most likely regen again in mid 20 hour range again.
Will be interesting to see what happens in winter with colder temps, live in MI.
I "think" how many hours your tractor regens the first time is a fair indicator if future regens.....
I use Shell road diesel fuel only & no clue if this makes any difference on regen times.....
Warm the engine up at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes and try to keep rpms above 1800. Don't let it idle, will shut it off instead.
Great tractor and love the cab.
Just wish there was a 4 wheel drive light on the dash when engaged, lights for everything else!

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Sorry that I have not been on here for a while. My 8560 has been regenerating at the same interval (8-10 Hrs.) since the last time that I visited the forum so I have not wanted to bore anyone with that info. Recently though I have had another issue arise that may shed some light on my regen times being so close together. I was on a job a few weeks ago and the customer came out to chat so I cut the tractor off. When I restarted the tractor it cranked up fine as usual but when I raised the throttle to continue working the tractor went back to idle on its own and an exclamation point came on in the dash panel. I shut the tractor off and checked all of the fluids and looked for anything that had come loose or disconnected. Everything looked fine so I started the tractor again and raised the throttle, this time the tractor worked fine. I used the tractor for a week after that watching everything closely. Things seemed to be fine again until one day it did the same thing again, this time I had to shut it off 2 times to get it to work correctly and clear the code. I have since taken the tractor to the dealer and they placed it on their diagnostic computer. The computer was showing a loose connection code but the mechanics could not find anything loose. They have since uncovered some things during the diagnostic sessions that pointed to a bad ECU (engine control unit I am guessing) They are replacing the ECU now and I hope that this will solve the problem for good. I am also curious to see if it makes a difference as to how often the tractor goes into the regen mode. I will keep you all informed.
By the way, this ECU module is similar to the computer that controls modern car and truck engines and it is not cheap. Over $1000.00 my warranty was going to expire soon so I am glad that this was found now.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Changing the ECU has not made a difference in the regeneration times. Still between 8-10 Hrs. Everything seems to be working fine now though. No further issues so far.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
My M8560 started to do the same thing again (Going to idle while working and exclamation mark showing on dash) I can shut the tractor down and re-start and it usually works fine after that. You never know when it is going to happen. I called the dealership and they are going to get me back in there after the first of the year. They replaced the ECU last time (for the same issue). The dealership said that there was going to be a Kubota factory man down and we would schedule the appointment while he was there. I hope that they get this taken care of this time. They are going to do the right thing and warranty the work though.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Junior and Tractorman, thanks for these very informative posts. I have put a link to this thread in the the tier IV thread under Tractor Operating. I have an L3560 that is a year old, and I have the impression that the regen interval is getting a little shorter, but haven't been keeping a log.

BTW the warranty on everything to do with the tier IV components is good for 5 years, and I think this includes the cpu as well. The details should be somewhere in your manuals and paperwork.

Please let us know how the latest issue with the ! in the engine warning icon comes out. Seems like someone else wrote in about that, but never came back to say what it was. It requires being attached to a dealer laptop, but the question is what triggers it?

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Actually the CPU is only under a 2 year Warranty. If they replace it like they did mine then the replacement CPU is warranted for 90 days. (Information that the dealer gave me when they replaced my CPU). That being said Kubota is going to do the work on my replacement CPU even though it has been longer than 90 days since the original was replaced. I have not been in yet for them to look at the tractor so I can not say that it is a problem with the CPU. I will update when I take it in and get a report from them as to what they find.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Actually the CPU is only under a 2 year Warranty. If they replace it like they did mine then the replacement CPU is warranted for 90 days. (Information that the dealer gave me when they replaced my CPU). That being said Kubota is going to do the work on my replacement CPU even though it has been longer than 90 days since the original was replaced. I have not been in yet for them to look at the tractor so I can not say that it is a problem with the CPU. I will update when I take it in and get a report from them as to what they find.
Hmm? Got me worried so I dug out my paperwork, and the ECU etc is listed to be covered except in constant speed engines (generators). One of my pieces of kubota paperwork on the warranty is dated 2013 and one 2014 and tney both seem to include it if under 5 years or 3000 hrs. Is the 8560 tier 4 final or one of the other categories? Hard to figure what the difference might be or if I've missed some important detail. Either way I hope your dealer takes good care of you.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You never know what the fine print says until you need the coverage.

While getting the engine (3408) replaced in our D8 we found this little brain twister. $150K for a reman or $175K for a crate engine.

The reman was considered a repair and was covered with a 1yr/1000hr warranty.

Crate engine was considered a part and had a 30 day warranty. Go figure that one.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Excessive regen can happen for a lot of reasons.

excessive idle time.
low operating temperature.
never letting the tractor get to operating temperature. Frequent cold operation.
too much engine oil
poor quality fuel
plugged or restricted air filter
exhaust leaks
intake tract leaks
engine wear (oil usage)
improper engine oil

That's just a start........do I like the DPF? Not one bit. But there ain't nothing we can do about it besides learning to live with it.

One thing worth mentioning. If for some reason the DPF muffler gets oil in it, say, a rolled over tractor, excessive crankcase fill, poor oil quality, or whatever, it may never be "normal" until the DPF is removed and cleaned and/or replaced. The trucking industry has been fighting this as well.