BX won't start

james.n

Equipment
BX1850D
Aug 16, 2014
Alto Texas
For someone more familiar with these tractors..wouldn't start today. 12.65 volt battery, all systems appear fine. turned on key, checked voltage between solenoid wire and starter .79 volts. jumped from starter connector to battery, engine started. What am I looking at (1) bad switch (2) bad solenoid?? key still turns engine off. :(

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engaged or bad safety switch.
Check seat, PTO and Clutch.

james.n

Equipment
BX1850D
Aug 16, 2014
Alto Texas
hello Wolfman and thanks. I have eliminated, as I can find them, the switches listed. they appear open when checked with a meter.

From reading other sites most want to blame the ignition switch although that doesn't always remedy their problem. As stated, there is less than 4 volts when checked at the solenoid connection from the ignition when engaged. I can't find any reference on the voltage that is needed at that point; the obvious answer would be 12 volts but.....any other thoughts?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Sitting on "run" at the switch, what is the voltage at the DC outlet? That's a start.

As I look at my BX, with screen off, the removable ignition switch connection is visible, as are the wires. I'd think you can, with pointed probe, check both the R and the BW wire for voltage, in the "start" position. Low voltage there may be bad connection at battery or in the switch. Switch resistance then can be checked between red and BW, but I'd remove power first at battery. If OK, it is resistance in the two switches that should be checked next. You also can check resistance of those switches from the BW at the switch to the solenoid. The resistance also may be in connections at the switches.

james.n

Equipment
BX1850D
Aug 16, 2014
Alto Texas
hello CERLAWSON.

arrived home from Sunday services and went to the shop and the tractor. All available relays, safety switches, such were checked again.. I did remove and clean all junctions with electric point cleaner before reassembling.

Still nothing; I was missing a switch somewhere. I found it inside the HST housing. meaning, there is a sweet spot in neutral where the circuit completes. I remember ready a post from another site where a lady had the same issue.

Thanks to all who read and post problems and possible solutions. And of course thanks to Al for his contribution to establishing the internet.

THANKS FOLKS jn

usahale

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 3, 2019
Bridgeville, DE
Thank you for this marvelous site with all of this great info. I have a BX2380 and have used your insights several times. You made me look good today. My 95 yo neighbor has a 2010 BX2670 that wouldn’t start and I checked the seat and PTO switches. I didn’t know about the HST pedal neutral switch. We were running short on time and towed the tractor into his barn before the wild weather passed through. I called and met him about an hour about an hour after the storm passed and tapped the HST pedal, instant start. He was so pleased because the BX is his ‘go cart’ and he uses it every, and I mean every, day. Thanks again for the wonderful site.