Bx1850 transmission filter blowing gasket

Mkfan20

Equipment
BX18
Jan 5, 2014
Burnham, Me USA
I recently serviced my BX and now for some reason I'm blowing out the transmission filter gasket when I start it. I can release the filter and push the gasket back in place but the next time I start it when cold it blows out again. I'm using a Napa brand filter with aftermarket fluid. Previously when I have serviced the tractor I haven't had an issue.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You probably got a bum filter. Especially if it wasn't doing it before the filter change. If it was doing it before the filter change, then there is an issue with the hydraulics.

I've had a couple brands i used to use and the vendor switched who was manufacturing them. Worked great until they switched, then they would start oozing and blowing gaskets. I would take it back. Have them switch it out with another. If it still does it, then try another brand

Mkfan20

Equipment
BX18
Jan 5, 2014
Burnham, Me USA
Thanks. I have always had good faith in Napa brand. I will have to talk to them about it. It was working fine before the service. I thought I had it stopped just after servicing. I moved one from one garage to the other last weekend. When I went to use it today it started all over again.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Make sure the old gasket did't stick to the base. Having 2 gaskets in there will cause that issue as well

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
I've heard of this type of thing before...
maybe the 'aftermarket' fluid is too thick when cold, causing excessive pressure and blowing the filter gasket. I would check the fluid when cold and make sure it's not thick like syrup. Some hydraulic fluid is not intended for cold climates. Maybe also a risk of blowing seals elsewhere on the machine.

Pete

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Make sure the old gasket did't stick to the base. Having 2 gaskets in there will cause that issue as well

I second Daren's thoughts! Double gasket will screw the pooch !!!!!!!!!

Also - all those aftermarket thingys..........mmmmmm......

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I work in an auto repair shop that uses napa parts. Just on Friday I had two oil filters that the seals stayed on the car. We've also seen new filters plain ole leak. And, Napa filters are made by Wix. :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Installed filter clean, oiled or greased gasket.?i never use grease. Double gasket is the curse of any oil change. I find i difficult to believe a gasket could blow out. If its tight enough it isnt going anywhere, filter would split first from over pressure. Or something else woild let go.

The most frequent stuck gasket and difficult to remove filter is fram. Have had to take an air chisel to remove the occasional filter. Didnt like to but had to be done.
Remove filter, check for two gaskets. Clean surface, wipe gasket with clean oil. Replace filter and tighten 3/4 turn after seal contacts. If you feel the need to use a wrench, dont get carried away with it.

Last edited:

Mkfan20

Equipment
BX18
Jan 5, 2014
Burnham, Me USA
took another look at it yesterday. No there aren't two gaskets. I don't like the way it threads on though. The base was clean as I always check this when I do any oil change on any of my vehicles. Seems like the makeup of the filter base may be the issue. I think I'm going back to the Kubota filter. Does anyone have any thoughts on the fluid I'm using? it is Master 303 tractor fluid. This has been quite costly as all of you know. From here on in I guess it is stick to Kubota products.

Reactions: 1 user

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Poor threads, that could be the source of the problem. You cant beat the quality of any oem filter.
My choice would be oem, but availibility is an issue for me.

Mkfan20

Equipment
BX18
Jan 5, 2014
Burnham, Me USA
So I found the culprit of the problem. The flange on the inside wasn't pressed all the way in like it should have been. I talked to my napa dealer and he's going to see what he can do. In the mean time I went and bought the kubota filter and udt. Lesson learned but as the napa dealer said we all know that kubota doesn't make their filters. I will post a picture when I can to show you.

Mkfan20

Equipment
BX18
Jan 5, 2014
Burnham, Me USA
I wish I had taken a picture of the new one which I purchased at my local kubota dealer. The inner ridge near the gasket is supposed to be completely rounded over. Mine actually was almost straight out prior to my last time I tried installing. Something others should look out for I guess.

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
I think you'll sleep better with the Kubota UDT in your tractor.
303 fluids are classed as UTF (universal tractor fluid), and I believe the spec says it's approved only for temperatures above 32deg F.

Pete