Kubota M4500 Flywheel

Sambo

Jul 23, 2016
Queensland, Australia
Hi All,

I am re-assembling a 6 cylinder S2600 engine someone else had dismantled. Looking for the flywheel alignment procedure to make sure the timing marks are in the correct position. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop manual.

Anyone have the required info? Cheers

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The flywheel and crank bolt holes should only line up one way, one is off from the rest, hand thread the bolts into the crank. ;)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sambo, that would make you wonder, "I was lucky enough to get the holes aligned on fitting it up first go and figured it couldn't be that easy!"

And if you didn't take the time to ask and wait for an answer, you could spend a lot of time removing and trying the other positions, before discovering you were right the first time.

All Kubota Flywheel to Crankcase bolt holes only line up in one position, as North Idaho Wolfman said...but I bet there have been some folks who think they have the bolt started, then use an air wrench to end up cross threading.

I put a punch mark on the outer edge of the flywheel and then a punch mark to match it on the engine before removing. Helps to eliminate guessing.

Sambo

Jul 23, 2016
Queensland, Australia
Haha, well to be honest after receiving wolf mans reply, I pulled it off again just to be sure it doesn't line up with any other holes.

He was definitely right and I spent a bit of time getting it back to the original spot!

This engine has probably sat outside for ten years, gave it a crank and a couple frogs popped out the exhaust pipe. Zero compression at first but after about ten cranks it started to show signs of life. I suspect stuck rings. Got it to fire and running on a couple cylinders. Hopefully the rest will free up with use!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you don't need it right away, a soak in kerosene and ATF mix for a few weeks prior to any more running might help free up the rings.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I use it sparingly on a diesel. I don't know if it's possible, but I worry about it running away on you if it warms up before all the solvents burn off/blow by the rings.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used 50/50 of ATF and acetone. But I eventually removed the head and cleaned the piston top and cylinder walls so there was no chance of a run away.

I had an engine with the exhaust facing up, with no cap, setting outside. I just poured the solution down the exhaust pipe. I figured that's how the water got in... so this can to! I had fluid on all the connection around the lower exhaust and manifold. It does flow freely.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Everyone seems to have their own mix and most of them seem to work. My dad and grandpa just used straight kerosene. If the engine is stuck, I pour in kerosene and let it sit until I can get it free, then add about the same amount of ATF and let it sit a few more weeks before I start it.