B20 Power Steering and Loader simultaneously fail...

ichibanz

Equipment
Kubota B20, Landpride Chipper, Landpride Grader, Backhoe, Woods Tiller
Jul 19, 2016
Washington
Hi Gang,

Was out this evening with our B20 and the loader and power steering both failed at the same time. My 3 point works fine lifting my tiller... have checked the loader valve on the side right side of the frame, and the flow control is in the correct (fully open, clockwise) position. Have also checked the trans / hyd fluid level...

Any thought or past experiences will be greatly appreciated!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I had a B-20 that did that. There is a hydro pump on the front of the engine. It has fiber flex discs that attach it to the engine. On mine, those discs failed. If that's the problem, it's an easy repair. I remember that repair because I was stunned when I got the price for the discs. They were $126.00 in the early 90s.

Mike

ichibanz

Equipment
Jul 19, 2016
Washington
Hi Mike!

Thanks for the insight... it was late last night, so I didn't get real investigative ;) Was dreading the thought of a priority valve or failed pump. I'm surprised the power steering is run off an auxiliary pump and not the tractor hydraulics. Three point operates like a champ... will post further on what I do (or don't) find.

Greg

ichibanz

Equipment
Jul 19, 2016
Washington
Well Mike... discs are intact, changed suction filter (figuring that wouldn't make a difference anyway...) ~ nope. Nada. Zip.

Gear pumps don't 'typically fail' just like that... they usually start their life out strong and slowly die away. I'm beginning to wonder if the splined end of the shaft took a dump...

So, next step is to remove pump, inspect splines and go from there. I cracked the fitting from the pump to the priority valve and had 'oil' ~ but at 2600 rpm, I would have expected a gusher...

Oh, and by the way... I should have just gone out and done this afterwards... but, it was getting late and the Missus was coming home ;)

Attachments

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I'll have to refer this back to the other guys here. Pumps can give up the ghost instantly by blowing seals. That usually results in an oily mess though. If the splines are stripped, I don't know of anything but a seized pump that would cause that. Maybe someone else can let us know if we are even dealing with the right pump.

ichibanz

Equipment
Jul 19, 2016
Washington
Bingo! Input shaft to front pump and coupler splines are shot. Rusty mess after all these years. Have seen this happen quite often on direct drive splined motors for mobile sweepers. Parts on the way ~ should be back up and operating by next week! :)

Attachments