B7100 Rear Axle - Help Needed

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
B7100 Rear Axle - Help Needed **Photos and details added**

Hi All,
I'm a new member, but have been lurking in the shadows for some time. The site is great, full of excellent info. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

I bought an early B7100 HST-D as a project, and future piece of equipment.

I was replacing the rear axle oil seal on the tractor yesterday, only to find that it was actually the axle that that had caused the failure.

The axle has been worn rough in the area where the oil seal rests, I assume dirt got in there.

I'm now in a position where I have to replace the axle, or live with chewed up oil seals and leaks. I will replace the axle.

My question is, can the axle be removed from the exterior, by removing the cir clip and bearing behind the oil seal? Or is there something else that retains the axle internally?

Do I have to remove the final drive / diff assembly?

Any wisdom you could offer, or direction on the best price for a new axle would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

James.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
You need to remove the final drive case to get the axle out. The rough surface on the axle can probably be fixed with what is called a speedi sleeve. It is a very thin collar-like piece that slips over the sealing surface on the axle and gives a new surface for the seal to run on.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You need to remove the final drive case to get the axle out. The rough surface on the axle can probably be fixed with what is called a speedi sleeve. It is a very thin collar-like piece that slips over the sealing surface on the axle and gives a new surface for the seal to run on.
Yes,its repairable with a sleeve,speedi sleeve or redi sleeve. For sleeves that need to go a ways down a shaft, an appropriate size of pipe is used to drive it on. If pitting is severe, build up shaft with epoxy to support sleeve.

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
OldeEnglish, Thank you for the link to the books, that's excellent.

Kubotasam, Thank you for the wisdom on disassembly and the seal repair. I'll call the dealer tomorrow for the replacement shaft price, I'm assuming it's outrageous. The price may steer the selected repair option. (COST - PART # 66611-17114 $$581.51 + tax CDN)

Tooljunkie,Thank you for the confirmation. Have you used the product?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just a note on the speedi sleeve. I've had good luck filling the grooves with jb weld and then installing the sleeve while the jb weld is still wet. Wipe off excess with a rag, or paper towel. Then let sit over night to cure. Use a sharp chisel and a pair of nippers to remove the lip that sticks up on the speedi sleeve. And a piece if sand paper or emory cloth to remove excess jb weld and to smooth any burrs left when removing the lip on the speedi sleeve. Then install your lip seal using assembly lube or grease on the lip portion of the seal to cut down on friction.

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks Daren. I was going to use a sealant or filler, JB is a good idea.

For the lip removal, the product website seems to say that it can remain on if it doesn't interrupt oil flow. As the final drive is full of oil, I was hoping to leave it in place, assuming it doesn't prevent oil seal installation.

I'll get a photo of the shaft and get it into this post.

I measured the shaft, it looks to be 50.00mm, (measured at 49.99 / 49.98 / 50.00)
With that info, I'm looking at SKF Speedi-Sleeve # 99052 or 99196, depending on the depth I need. (I welcome confirmation from anyone)

I like the idea of getting it patched up without tearing the final drive apart. I'd just hate to go through the trouble to have the sleeve option fail.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I had a rear undercarriage roller go on my ASV RC30, coupla years ago. Bearing(s) froze up and roller got crooked, grooving the seal area. Filled the majority of the grove with JB weld, and filed and sanded it flat again. Then I used wet JB weld, and let it set up, to just tacky. Had the speedy-sleeve in the toaster oven, set to 275 degrees, ran it over to the machine, and slipped it most of the way home. Took a pipe and hammer and tapped it the rest of the way on.

The SS I used came with a driving ring, built in. When you are done driving it, you peel the driving ring away, like a beer can tab. Let it cool down and put a new wheel with new bearings right on. Been running at least 2 years on it, now. Cheap repair, considering I would have had to take the track off, and cut the old axle out, and weld in new... Would've taken the dealer weeks, to get that done...:D:D

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I like the idea of getting it patched up without tearing the final drive apart. I'd just hate to go through the trouble to have the sleeve option fail.
I have used speedi sleeves on many other applications- not the B7100 axle we are discussing here. However I am not sure trying to repair without removing the axle from the final drive would be the best idea.

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
I have used speedi sleeves on many other applications- not the B7100 axle we are discussing here. However I am not sure trying to repair without removing the axle from the final drive would be the best idea.
What do you suppose the issue would be? I could be missing something.

I really owe photos to this post. I've been taking them, photobucket just aggravates me.

I can tap the sleeve into place as it sits, removing the axle would serve no further benefit, other than being able to work on the shaft in a vertical position instead of horizontal.

As an update I have sleeve # 99196 in hand. I'll have to use a length of pipe to set it, instead of the setting tool, due to the length of axle prior to the seating area. 2'' pvc vent pipe looks to be a close match.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
What do you suppose the issue would be? I could be missing something.

I really owe photos to this post. I've been taking them, photobucket just aggravates me.

I can tap the sleeve into place as it sits, removing the axle would serve no further benefit, other than being able to work on the shaft in a vertical position instead of horizontal.
I thought you would have issues with getting the epoxy cleaned up around the speedi sleeve. Also possible problems getting it in the correct location. Perhaps I was just being to cautious. Good luck.

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
I thought you would have issues with getting the epoxy cleaned up around the speedi sleeve. Also possible problems getting it in the correct location. Perhaps I was just being to cautious. Good luck.
Well, the sleeve is on. That said, I think your thoughts of caution were accurate.

The location was ok, I marked the shaft and measured the depth in advance.

Cleaning the epoxy pushed behind the sleeve with the collar still in place would be next to impossible. As the set time of the JB was 6 min. I used a very sparing amount, and used it on the leading edge.

The sleeve I selected also leaves a small gap between its flange (which I'll leave on) and the bearing assembly, which I felt left a buffer for stray epoxy.
I really don't know if there is a bit back there, I was just sure to rotate the assembly a few times over the course of 15 min.

The difficulty came in trying to confirm a reasonably uniform seating depth, as there is only the Cir-clip and bearing to use as a trusted point to measure from. The JB also added a short timeline for finesse.

The factory shaft spec was supposed to be 50.00mm, with the sleeve installed it sits at 50.48mm +/-. The oil seal appears to support this.

I'll let it sit overnight, then see if I can put together in the next day or 2.

It sounds odd, but the speedi sleeve was almost too easy to earn my trust?

Side note - 2'' 636 PVC vent pipe actually has a better fit as an installation tool than the tool that comes with the sleeve that I used.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
Photos and some details have been added.

I'd like to thank everyone that has shared their thoughts and insight with me to this point.

Thank you.
James.

ON 7100

Equipment
B7100 HST-D
Aug 2, 2015
Ontario Canada
I got the new axle seal installed. Filter replaced and screens cleaned. It's been filled with oil and had a preliminary run, although it has yet to move.

I'm replacing the hubs at the same time, so I hope to take it for a spin over the weekend.

[/IMG