Grandfather Thread

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
ShaunRH and I have all but hijacked the chuckle thread with memories of of our Case tractor driving Grandads.

Thought it to be the right thing to do so I am starting a thread about Granddads.

I had a real character that made me what I am today. He farmed about 3 sections of land with livestock and grain in Saskatchewan. Was of German decent and his family immigrated to Canada before WW1 because they wanted a better life.

I was fortunate enough to spend all my summers and holidays on that farm hanging around with him and his perspective on life.

He passed on at 83 a few years back and he was just about going to retire the next year?

Share your stories about your Grandads !

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We're blessed with one grandfather still kicking. :D actually visiting with him today.

Both of mine were hard workers and good providers.
Grandpa G was a shade tree mechanic, and jack of all trades. Could build anything out of scrap parts. I try, and have succeeded on a couple projects. But not any where close to his skill level. :rolleyes: was always the prankster in the group. We lost him to throat cancer in '95.

Grandpa T turned 90 back in April. Spent all my summers on his small hobby farm on the mountain in Vermont. He always had some crazy story about a life experience and could keep you entertained for hours. Like the time he stood his dump truck up on end while dumping a load of gravel. Or the time they caught and threw an armadillo into a guy's tent while waiting to get shipped off to Germany during WWII. He always tries to find the humor out of life :) i got that trait from him.

Now I got my own grandkids :D keep trying every day to instill the same values that mine taught me. And have some fun with them along the way ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Unfortunately, lost both of my Grandfathers before I was 7. Only vague (but fond) memories of either of them.

My younger daughter lives just around the corner from me and I've had both of her boys around since they were in diapers. Older one is now married and a Corporal in the USMC.

Younger one will graduate high school this year and is waiting right now for me to come out and "help" him put a tailgate net on the pickup his Dad gave him.

All sorts of projects with both boys over the years, motorcycles, ATV's, tree houses, all the usual boy stuff. I try to maintain a balance between having fun, teaching them skills and instilling a solid work ethic and sense of personal honor.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how they're turning out. I hope they'll have fond memories of me as well.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Yeah..... me too. Never really knew my Grandfathers. Dad's side went before I was born, Mom's side I had some visits with blood dad and few with 2cnd dad.

Via appreciation am closest though to Dad side grandfather. Maybe cause he was solid part of family. He built many TVA dams. Yup he was just a plan old Dam Engineer.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Never got to meet my grandfathers.
I have had the priveledge of knowing some great men that were grandfathers.all hard workers, farmers ,carpenters and heavy equipment operators. Between feeding and building the wonderful community i live in they were all well respected.
The stories are endless, one gentleman was bent on tormenting a few select people for his own entertainment. He found a black bear hit by a car and put it in a friends truck cab, shifter up the rear so it would sit up. Scared the beejesus out of his friend. Another time he put a live rabbit in another guys vehicle. It came out from under the seat when he was on the highway. Pulled over and let it out. A long time passed before he found out who did it.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I was very lucky to live right next door to my grandparents. I would go next door everyday to "play" with Grandpa. I was Grandpa's "little handicap".
It was a few years before I knew what that meant! :D

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Both of my Grands have passed but I remember every time I went to "granddaddy's" house it was tractor ride time and I learned to drive on an old John Deere at Granddads and today I had the pleasure to give my grandson a tractor ride looking to do lots more in the future.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
My grandfather died when I was in college, back in the 80's. He, too was German, from a little town in Bavaria, Stetton. We still have relatives there, that we see occasionally and keep in touch with. My dumb German GF taught me a lot more about living, than the educated American. Loved them both, but him more...:D

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Nice to see you fellas paying forward that time and experience to your grandkids.

My Bride and I are so ready to be grandparents, our sons are just not ready to be parents!

We respect that about our boys so we live vicariously through any children we can. We believe every child deserves a positive adult role model and someone they can trust and learn from.

My grandad told me you have two ears and one mouth so you can listen twice as much, so that is what I try to do.