m125x a/c fan problem

bodock

Equipment
m125x, rtv900,6800
Sep 23, 2017
toomsuba,ms
my a/c fans are acting strange. one has quit working and the second seams to be running backwards, anyway very little air is coming out of vents. fuses are ok. motor tests ok. any ideas.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
You'll need a workshop manual with wiring diagram to diagnose efficiently. With "most" a/c fans, they are usually permanent magnet motors, to test them, unplug them, power the 2 wires with 12 volts, when connected they should spin rapidly and produce lots of air, when hooked up backwards (positive/negative reversed), they'll spin faster, but produce less air, less load due to the design of the cage of the centrifugal fan.
Generally a/c fans are speed controlled by inserting some resistance into the circuit to limit the current, these open resistors require cooling and are normally located in the air duct to keep them cool.
Late models may be electronically controlled, I am unaware of what actual configuration is in your machine.
If your motors test correctly at 12 volts and are slow or don't work when hooked up, you'll need to do some additional testing.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Also if you have two fans supplying the one plenum chamber, if one is not working the air from one will flow back out the other through the cage and severely reduce any air flowing down your ducts.

bodock

Equipment
m125x, rtv900,6800
Sep 23, 2017
toomsuba,ms
My motor checks fine on bench, i am looking at replacing the resistors ( there are two) and maybe the switch. just wondered if any one had seen this.

Really the fan that runs is turning backwards ?????? pushing air into the air box, not duct.

bodock

Equipment
m125x, rtv900,6800
Sep 23, 2017
toomsuba,ms
I found the problem was a bad relay (fan relay) fixed the motor that was out.
Also the working fan motor was running backwards. I switched the wires to the motor it blows great now. it was wired wrong from factory.