L275 D1302 cylinder head

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have an L-275 with a D1302 that has a cracked cylinder head. The crack is between the intake and exhaust values on #2 cylinder. I have had troubles finding a replacement head. Does another model use the same cylinder head?

These prices sure look attractive :
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/d1302-kubota-engine-head.html
One thing to note with the Alibaba sourced heads, they will be rough machined. You will need to get them fine machined, ported, have the valve guides and seats installed and have the valves seats ground and install the springs and seals.
The cost of doing all of this with parts can set that "I got a heck of a deal" of a head right into "Why the heck did this cost me so dang much"!
One other not is there will be Zero warranty on the head, yea they will tell you there is a warranty, but that warranty will become worthless as soon as you do any machine work to it. ;)

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
I contacted a couple shops that specialize in repairing cracked cast iron diesel heads, the 3 cylinder Kubota would cost about $850 with new valves, guides and seats - plus shipping. I am not aware of any local shops that will weld cast iron heads, but there will be a shop somewhere in Texas that can do this.

Some have had success with the aftermarket Asian heads. I've seen quotes as low as $80 each for a minimum lot of five ( plus shipping). I don't doubt that some finish machine work is required at that cost! If the other 4 bare heads were sold at $300 each the cost would work out, but it would take a while to sell them.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a couple of heads that needed welded if they were ever going to be put back on an engine. The machine shops I talked to in Kansas City declined to weld a head for a diesel engine. Said it might work, but they didn't want to.

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
Call Grainfarmer, http://www.grainfarmer.com/kubota-engines.html and if he doesn't have one let him know your needing one. He has things not listed on the net.
I contacted GrainFarmer. He sells an aftermarket head with valves for $695 shipping included. That's a good deal. He claims to have tested the castings, do they sonic test heads for thickness ? Whatever, he is confident that the quality is good. This option could save many engines, as there are many more good blocks than heads.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tim, I do not know how they test the heads. As far as I know he has a good reputation. Might ask here on this forum if others have an opinion from dealing with him, if you want more feedback.

As you mentioned, you soon run out of choices!!