Pulling a seal...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a 730 Case that has been leaking fluid at the right rock shaft arm seal. I stuck my camera back in the area to get a close up of what held it all on. A snap ring. So I got the ring out, and removed the rock shaft arm with the linkage.

There is 8" between the housing where the seal is and the fender. I was determined to get this done without removing the right tire and fender.

I didn't have an angle drill (that I could find) so I had to come up with another method to get the seal out. Finally found one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-Cam-a...o&sd=301944991616&_trksid=p5713.c100284.m3505

Paid about $20 at Oreilly, but they had it in the store by the afternoon. Worked real good. It got in behind the seal and actually bent the metal instead of just pulling the entire seal. But I eventually got a vice grip on the bent pulled out piece and got it removed.

Now, how to get the new seal in? I rigged up a cutoff piece of PVC from a 4" Wye and tapered the small end to fit into the opening on the tractor housing and catch the seal surface real good. Then I found one of those old car jacks that use the extension rod and modified to top to hold the PVC in place. Only thing I could find that would collapse to less then 5". Then used a piece of light chain like goes in a porch swing to go around the jack, up through an opening in the deck and anchor to something above.

Took some practice getting it all in alignment, but finally it all worked.

This tool by Lisle is pretty hand for pulling seals. I drilled a hole in the handle so I can hang it with my gear pullers. That way I might be able to fine it next time!

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
So the inner seal surface didn't touch the splines on the way in? Can't quite picture what you did with PVC.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I took the shiny front page of a magazine and cut it to cover the splines (shiny side out). About 1/2" longer, and wrapped it around the splines also. Put some grease from the grease gun on the splines to hold the shiny paper. Used some grease on the seal lip. Got the paper started inside the lip, and just slid it home.

Most of folks would probably use some shim stock to protect the seal. I used what I had handy!!

The PVC was just an extension of the seal face to get out past the shaft so I could put pressure on the seal. I needed something that matched the dia. of the metal on the seal, and extended out past the end of the splines so I could push the seal in place.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I took the shiny front page of a magazine and cut it to cover the splines (shiny side out). About 1/2" longer, and wrapped it around the splines also.
Great, I thought the PVC was probably used as now described, was just noting about the splines for others so when they read this they remember to tape the splines or similar whenever they replace seals. Glad it worked out for you, ingenuity at it's best!