Keeping find air in fuel filter in M9540

mrkip

Equipment
M8540 2009 + LA 1353 Loader
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Hello,

My M9540 had clocked up enough hours to warrant changing the fuel filters. So I decided to change the filters and drop the diesel tank fuel at the same time.

I replaced the filters, emptied the tank, and bled the fuel lines. I thought everything was fine, but i was wrong.

I left the tractor overnight and then couldn't get in started the other morning. So, I checked everything and found that the new fuel filter was half full. I filled it back up again, re-bled the fuel lines, and got the tractor running again. The tractor ran fine too, no drop in power when it was working. I even took the tractor for ride up some hills with the throttle wide open and still had no loss of power or stuttering.

Anyway, I come to start it again this morning and the same bloody problem. Fuel missing from filter. It was around 50% full again.

I've just tried another fuel filter on it and the same problem.

I've also inspected the lines best I can and cannot find a leak anywhere.

Any ideas on how i go about diagnosing the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How do the fuel lines attach?

If they are clamped on, see if you can twist the fuel lines. If you can twist them on the hose barb, then they are loose, and can cause a pin hole leak. Something the fuel pump can over come while it's running, but causes it to lose prime after being shut down for a length of time.

mrkip

Equipment
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Most of the clamps are the thin wire type.

I'll check them in the morning and see if they move.

I think I might order some fresh fuel pipe and start replacing them. The tractors is a 2009 model and I don't think they've ever been replaced.

I got a funny feeling that this is going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for the help

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Make sure all of your fuel filters are tight. Mine did the same thing and the nut on the water separator was just slightly loose. Tightened up and haven't had any more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrkip

Equipment
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Solved it. Turns out it was just a pipe with a slight tear. Didn't find the damage till i took that particular pipe off.

I thought it was going to be something more complex due to the air seeping into the system and no fuel leak. I assumed that if anything was punctured in the fuel line it would just leak. Yet there was no trace of fuel anywhere. :confused:

You learn something new every day.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. It's always appreciated.

vvbigbb

Equipment
ZD25, Quick Attach ,Befco rototiller, TI Quick Attach, 84" Woods Rotary Cutter,
Mar 2, 2015
Bantam, CT
How do the fuel lines attach?

If they are clamped on, see if you can twist the fuel lines. If you can twist them on the hose barb, then they are loose, and can cause a pin hole leak. Something the fuel pump can over come while it's running, but causes it to lose prime after being shut down for a length of time.
Right on Daren! The same thing happened to me on my ZD25 and all I could find was a fuel line with a 1/4" split on one end after I replaced the filter. Changed the line and the problem was solved.

Ktech101

Sep 15, 2017
Ny
Did you remove the two lines at the tank? The lines are the same size but are different in the tank. The return line is restricted down while the suction line is full flow. It's hard to tell which is which by looking at the tank but the flow out from each will tell you. If not you ether have a restriction in the line to the water seperator or an air leak between the tank and fuel pump