Stripped Oil Drain Plugs

MikeWW

Equipment
willison@magma.ca
Sep 8, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am working on a friend's Kubota L3430. The previous owner has stripped the 2 oil drain plugs. Has anyone done this repair before? I was thinking that a time-sert repair kit might be the answer here. Any opinions? Any recommendations on where to buy these kits? Not sure what the thread size is. Anyone?

thanks
Mike

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I am working on a friend's Kubota L3430. The previous owner has stripped the 2 oil drain plugs. Has anyone done this repair before? I was thinking that a time-sert repair kit might be the answer here. Any opinions? Any recommendations on where to buy these kits? Not sure what the thread size is. Anyone?

thanks
Mike
Is it the oil pan threads that are ruined or the plugs? If the plugs are the worst I would run a tap in the pan holes to clean up the threads then get new drain plugs. If the pan holes are completely gone you can maybe go next size bigger.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would have to agree with Kuboman. If its the plug holes themselves then I would attempt the tap for that size hole and then "slowly" start running the plugs back in. Say like 3 turns forward one turn back to make sure you're not re-striping them. Try that before a time-sert kit. Easier for the first try. Might be a good idea to get new drain plugs too if the current ones look at all damaged.

Also, if you haven't tapped a hole before, I know that sounds funny, you need to do it in the same manner. But, use half turns. Thread it in just a little and then back. Then a bit more and back again. If there is no residual oil in the pan then maybe put some on the hole threads first or continue to spray some WD40 on there to keep the tap lubed in the hole. Couldn't resist that last one. Good luck.

MikeWW

Equipment
willison@magma.ca
Sep 8, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Yes the threads in the aluminum pan are stripped. The actual threads on the plug are ok. I will run a tap through just to see if it will clean up. I know what you mean about the tapping process. 1/2 turn then reverse. I remember learning that in grade 10 machine shop. About 45 years ago. Yikes. It might be possible to tap a slightly larger hole &then put in a bigger plug.

thanks for the replies.
Mike
:)

drewscruis

Equipment
B7100D with FEL and tiller
Sep 9, 2011
Eden, NY. usa
make sure to coat the flutes if the tap with some grease to catch the shavings from rethreading the hole, it'll keep the metal chips out of the engine

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yes the threads in the aluminum pan are stripped. The actual threads on the plug are ok. I will run a tap through just to see if it will clean up. I know what you mean about the tapping process. 1/2 turn then reverse. I remember learning that in grade 10 machine shop. About 45 years ago. Yikes. It might be possible to tap a slightly larger hole &then put in a bigger plug.

thanks for the replies.
Mike
:)
Lol! I hope you understand that no insult was intended. There's a lot of us on here who are learning as we go. I never took take grade 10 shop. Hind sight is a bit of a b%@$h at times.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk