Piranha Tooth Bar vs. Industrial Tooth Bar

eezymoney

Equipment
MX5800, FEL, BB, Disc, Rock Bucket, 3-PT Sprayer
Sep 23, 2017
Milam County, Texas
:confused:Thoughts on what's best....a Pirahna bar or a Tooth bar for my FEL? It will be used in pretty rocky ground probably 75% of the time. Thanks!

Last edited:

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Don't have any experience with the Industrial bar you mentioned but..... the Prinaha Bar is the business.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
:confused:Thoughts on what's best....a Pirahna bar or a Tooth bar for my FEL? It will be used in pretty rocky ground probably 75% of the time. Thanks!
I am assuming that you are referring to a toothbar that has long teeth on it as an industrial tooth bar? Much like a backhoe "tooth"?

something like this:

https://www.everythingattachments.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/tb description.jpg

If the rocks are everywhere, that ^^^^^^^ might be the better answer.

That type will get down under a rock easier than the PTB, simply because the pressure per tip will be higher on something like that.

The PTB will have the advantage when trying to remove small saplings, dig soil, move a little more dirt per scoop. The ind type will be great for breaking a large chunk of soil or a large root - if you ever need to backdrag gravel or dirt , the PTB will win hands down.

The ITB will set you back about $535 or more

The PTB will set you back about $340 or more

I love my PTB, it never comes off, BUT if rocks are the game, the other might be the better choice.;)

eezymoney

Equipment
Sep 23, 2017
Milam County, Texas
85Hokie....Yes, I'm referring to a backhoe type tooth bar. That's what I was thinking too as far as the rocky ground, but I have no experience with the PB. I was also thinking the PB would get dull after working a while in the rocky ground.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie....Yes, I'm referring to a backhoe type tooth bar. That's what I was thinking too as far as the rocky ground, but I have no experience with the PB. I was also thinking the PB would get dull after working a while in the rocky ground.
Dull is a relative word - when new my PTB was "sharp" - not anything like a razor edge, but you didnt want to leave your bucket raised at all!:eek: After 4 years, you still dont want to run into it with a shin, but at a 1/2" thick, it is not going to dull too bad - I will still run across a small tree and show it that not so dull edge!

I did think about getting a grinder on it, but after a closer observation - I think I would only make it less sharp!:p:)

Rocks would dull the edge for sure over time - however - looking at my backhoe teeth, they too have dulled quite a bit - and dirt has done most of that.;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Couple of years ago I was at the scrapper looking for some bent gates/panels to use for a watergap. Found a toothbar. It had been welded on to a bucket then someone cut it off with a torch.

I modified it to fit on a 5' bucket on my L305. Needed to weld some on the back side to be sure it would catch on the loader.

It works excellent for moving piles of material or breaking into new ground. I've also got a 6' on my L4240.

I've never owned or operated a Piranha fitted loader, so I have no intelligent information on them.

If you're not in a hurry I believe you can find a bargain on a toothbar because they get put on a loader and the operator doesn't understand how to really use it, esp. for backdragging...then remove it and it doesn't get put back on.

Here's some pictures of the one I paid $25 for.

Attachments

eezymoney

Equipment
Sep 23, 2017
Milam County, Texas
Well, I do have a 60" rock bucket that has pretty close spacing. I'm hoping this will help get rid of some of the cedar / juniper ashe I have so I don't have to buy more equipment. Maybe the PB is tougher than I'm thinking and it may serve me better for my needs. For the price, it can't take long to get my $$$$ worth out of it.