Losing instruments on L5030 - still safe to use?

Raydiant

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Sep 23, 2017
Nosara Costa Rica
I have an L5030 which has slowly been losing it's instrument cluster, and yesterday it finally lost even the LCD gas gauge, temp, and the analog tach went out, all at once. The digital multi-display stopped working some time ago, probably due to the ants I found living in it.

The tractor is still running well mechanically, but I want to know if it is OK for me to run it. I live in a remote part of Costa Rica and it is very tough to find anyone competent to help troubleshoot electrical issues. This is the time of year when I need the tractor to help with mudslides, road maintenance, etc., so I don't want to have to haul it off to the 'big city' where someone can probably diagnose the problem, as it always takes a looong time...

Is it possible that not having the electronics / instruments working could cause any damage to the tractor itself? I don't mind running it 'by ear' and sensing the temp, but I don't want to risk any major mechanical damage.

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance.

Thanks!

Raydiant

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 thing that comes to mind is what happens if it has an issue with the oil pressure or the temp?
If the gauges and such are not working there isn't enough time to "sense" things are not working properly, and to safely shut it down on time to save the unit major damage.

Go here and download the WSM (aka service manual) and it will help with things to check for why the dash is failing. ;)

http://www.golftechs.net/jtest/index.php/links?task=weblink.go&id=248

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I had a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix that only had a speedometer gauge, all other indicators were idiot lights. When the speedometer broke at 200,000, I never replaced it, just kept going to 370,000 when the frame rusted through, and it bent like a noodle, just behind the drivers seat. Drove it to the junkyard middle scraping the ground....

I would check the electrical grounds, clean with an old fashioned typewriter pencil, or use a hole puncher, pop some 600 grit holes, glue onto the eraser end of a pencil...

You should be able to rig an idiot light to the oil pressure sensor, the contacts close when pressure is low/lost. Switched power, then across oil sensor, then to light (use a junk auto bulb and socket), then to ground. Light should turn on before starting, then once started, go out...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I realize you are not in USA but you might see if anywhere in your country has a service to repair the electronics on the dash.

See http://www.instrumentclusters.com for example

I had a truck dash die off instrument by instrument and it was easily fixed by replacing a diode or two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk