L245DT Hydraulic Questions

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
What does the Priority Valve look like on my tractor and where is it located? Is it the rectangular aluminum block centered under the seat on top of the rear axle? How can I know if it is working properly? Also what does the diverter valve look like and where is it located? Or doe this tractor even have one?

I bought this tractor from a mechanic who installed a FEL and never could get it to work properly. I suspect the added on FEL control valve was fed from the wrong source which blocked the return to the tank and over pressured the pump which split the side out. I want to be careful not to break the new pump and FEL control valve.

I have asked my local Kubota dealer for information on this this tractor but they will not help me over the phone.

They want me to bring it in to them, or for an arm and a leg (probably more than the tractor is worth) they will come from Mesa to St. Johns (a 5-6 hr. drive one way) to pick it up.

I am in hopes that someone here might be able to shed some light. Many thanks for any help on this forum, Kubota Knerd
//

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pictures of the setup now would really help.

The priority valve should be on the left side next to the three point lift.
Just follow the 2 lines from the steering box back, they will end at the priority valve.
There will not be a diverter valve.

If you have the rectangle block right in the middle under the seat (which is not standard to that model and was an option.
There should be a second rectangle block bolted to it with 2 lines coming off of it, that will be pressure out and power beyond (power return), and if the fel valve is equipped with a third line off of it that will be tank/return that will go directly to the reservoir on the tractor.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Your tractor doesn't have a priority valve . The front port on the aluminum block is pressure to the loader valve. The rear is power beyond from the valve if you have three lines.If you only have two lines from the loader valve , install the tank line to the rear port. If you have three lines the tank line will return to the plug in the top of the transmission in front of the seat.
Good luck . Lance

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Lots of 245DT info on here. Simple little tractor which you should be able to fix. Figure how to post pictures and you will be far ahead of me. I have had my used 245DT for thirty-five years. I hope you get yours fixed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello
Your tractor doesn't have a priority valve . The front port on the aluminum block is pressure to the loader valve. The rear is power beyond from the valve if you have three lines.If you only have two lines from the loader valve , install the tank line to the rear port. If you have three lines the tank line will return to the plug in the top of the transmission in front of the seat.
Good luck . Lance
UMMMM...HELLO...Nope!
And and Lance check your PM's for the rest of my reply to your HELLO.

It does have a priority valve.

There is no front on the location of that block, only right and left.
On some models the right is the pressure line and on some models the left is the pressure line, so a test is required.

And just for and FYI:
On that model it's also possible to tap into the hydraulics in another location.

Attachments

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thank you for all your good help to better understand how to properly connect my new FEL control valve (NIMCO 11817-2S, a 2 spool single lever w/2000 psi PRV). I will try to post some picts. if I can find out how to do it. The more I look into this tractor (circa 1975??) the more I find that the FEL hydraulics is not properly plumed.
OK, so I'm finding out that there is no diverter valve (I think?), and that the small rectangular block (front center under seat on top of rear axle) is the priority valve (I think?). And originally (from the factory, before the FEL) the priority valve had a solid cover plate (part no.99473-95230 now obsolete and hard to find). This rectangular block has only two lines (one line on each end of the block); the left end of the block has a steel line connecting to the rear axle case; and the right end of the block has a steel line going to the hyd. pump. The block itself (about 2"x4"x1"thick) is not attached to the tractor anywhere and is held in place by the two steel lines. I will have to double check to be sure and get back to the forum, but I don't think this tractor has power steering.
So now the addition of a FEL will need a source for hyd. pressure and a return line. By removing the solid cover plate and installing an after market cover with two additional ports the FEL control valve can be connected to the tractor's existing hyd. system.
Sound right so far? I will try to post some picts. later today, Kubota Knerd
//

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Here are some picts. of the existing hydraulic lines on my L245DT. I suspect the FEL control valve is not properly connected. It never has worked right. And when I used it to lift the empty bucket to full height it instantly cracked the pump when the cylinders fully extended.
I am trying to understand proper add-on hydraulics for this FEL, Kubota Knerd
//

Attachments

Last edited:

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
N.ID Wolfman.
Thank you for the reply. I see the priority valve (item 1 in the parts diagram) on left side under seat. This valve (in the diagram) is on this tractor, and it is sandwiched between the rear axle housing and the pressure relief valve. The diagram shows lines connected to the valve, however this tractor has no lines connected there.
Also shown in that same diagram is the steel high press. line from the hyd. pump. It is shown straight across the top of the rear axle housing (no rectangular block) connected to the housing near the top left. I suspect this line provides hyd. pressure to the 3ph cylinder. The 3ph works fine and causes no problems. It is the FEL that when the bucket is raised full up the hyd. press. instantly spikes and crakes the pump or the FEL CV before I can lower it.
In my last post to this thread there is a pict. #2147 of the FEL CV showing a hose from the back to the right side. I wish I knew how this CV should be connected. Thanks again, KK

//

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So I take it you have no power steering?
Is there caps on the fittings on the priority valve?

And I can tell you what I think is wrong with the loader valve.
They have looped 2 lines together big No,No with Kubota systems.
They have either looped PB to tank, or PB to power, or power in to tank.
You also need to find out if they have installed (and it looks like they have) the closed center fitting into the side of the valve.

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thats right, no power steering. The two ports on the front end of the priority valve (parts diagram item 1) have plugs.
I suspect the rectangular block under the seat is an after market (or a Kubota factory optional) priority valve? What do you think about the rectangular block?
I have a new FEL CV to install and I dont know how to plumb it. I suspect the existing CV is either plumbed wrong (as in the T port does not go to the Tank?) or defective.
Im not sure about the closed center plug on the old valve. I will check w/NIMCO tech support about 'closed center plug' on the new valve. Is closed center necessary for this application?
//

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thats right, no power steering. The two ports on the front end of the priority valve (parts diagram item 1) have plugs.
I suspect the rectangular block under the seat is an after market (or a Kubota factory optional) priority valve? What do you think about the rectangular block?
I have a new FEL CV to install and I dont know how to plumb it. I suspect the existing CV is either plumbed wrong (as in the T port does not go to the Tank?) or defective.
Im not sure about the closed center plug on the old valve. I will check w/NIMCO tech support about 'closed center plug' on the new valve. Is closed center necessary for this application?
//
The rectangular block is just a tap, not a priority valve.
Nothing fancy about it, it just directs flow out and then back in to the system.

You do not want a closed center valve, that will blow the pump/ lines every time.
You must have an open center valve for it to work.

One line off the block (most likely right side of tractor) will be the power in to the FEL valve, then the left side fitting will be the return of fluid to the three point and pressure relief valve.

If the valve you get has In/ Power and OUT / Return and no PB (2 line valve) then you would hook the In line of the valve to the right side of the block and you would hook the return line to the left side of the block.

If it's a three line valve, In/Power, PB (power beyond), and tank/ return.
Then you would hook the In line of the valve to the right side of the block and you would hook the PB line to the left side of the block.
If it's not already equipped you will need to find a port, usually a plug in the side of the transmission or rear end housing to hook a hose to for the tank/return line.

Either set up will work just as well.

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I looked up the tractor specs for this L245DT on tractordata.com (the local Kubota dealer wouldn't help me) to find the hydraulic type is 'open center'. I suspect this is referring to the FEL control valve?
//

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I checked the specs. for this L245DT on tractordata.com to find 'Hydraulic Type: Open Center'. What does that mean? Is it referring to the FEL control valve? What does that mean for the 3ph controls?
//

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Wolfman,
Wow, I just now found out that there is a 2nd page to this thread and found your reply to my last two questions about the open center hyd. system (even before I asked them).
OK, so I will need the FEL CV to be open center. I will check with tech-support on the new FEL control valve to see if it is open center. Don't know for sure but I think it is.
I think it has a port called HPCO (meaning High Pressure Carry-Over) which might be the same as PB in some shops. The FEL CV is the only other valve besides the 3ph controls. If I do not need the HPCO (or PB) do I still need to connect it to something?
If possible I will try to attach a copy of the valve specs showing its port configuration. It seems to me to be a good quality valve, but I'm new at this so I wouldn't really know for sure. What I do know is that it is not from China (I think:).
//

Last edited:

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Here is a cut sheet of the valve, and two more sheets showing the valve ports as I think they should be plumed. I pretty much have the valve ports down as to which port goes where except for where to connect the HPCO port and the T port.
If I understand you correctly, the P port connects to the right side of the block, the HPCO (aka Power Beyond) port connects to the left side of block, and the T port connects to the rear axle case?
So I guess the main problem to begin with was there was that the T port was NOT connected to the tank (rear axle housing)? And that caused sudden high pressure which split the pump and then the FEL CV?
//

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I understand you correctly, the P port connects to the right side of the block, the HPCO (aka Power Beyond) port connects to the left side of block, and the T port connects to the rear axle case?
Yes that is exactly right.

The tank port not being plumbed properly might cause an issue, but it's main purpose it to allow fast bleed off of the FEL, like for fast dump. ;)

P.S: I can't make out the details of the pictures that you posted, they are way too small. Try making them 4 times larger and post them again.

Last edited:

Kubota Knerd

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 2, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thanks for your help with this hyd. issue. It has been quite a learning curve for me and I am very thankful for all the good help along the way. I wish Kubota would have had this info. somewhere in their WSM (of which I have two different WSMs for this tractor). The WSM I got from the local Kubota dealer (for $125) is way too thick, almost useless, and very confusing (due to the other languages). The WSM I got from this forum (for free) is about half the size and much better.
I don't know how the valve diagrams turned out to be so small. I uploaded them as photos but they came out as thumbnails and won't open to full size. I'll try again.
I just got called to work out of town for two weeks. Will get back to this as soon as I can when I return.
Thanks again, KK
//

Last edited:

Jim Dandy

Equipment
L245DT W/Loader M8030DT L275DT
I have a L245 with a loader. I only have 2 lines going to the control valve on the loader. If I had 3 would it dump faster ? I don't have a PB ,only p & T . It is a little slow to dump.
Thanks James

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a L245 with a loader. I only have 2 lines going to the control valve on the loader. If I had 3 would it dump faster ? I don't have a PB ,only p & T . It is a little slow to dump.
Thanks James
You would probably need to change the loader valve to get P PB and T and to get fast dump. ;)