Kubota 3901cranks but wont start

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
Winter and 3901 cranks but wont start .I checked fuses and 190hrs on it.I cleand the fuel screen and did the bled the air out of the fuel filter.

Last edited:

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
If you said you bled air out of the filter - did you run dry before this started?
If so - you probably need to bleed the injectors too...

If not - some history as to what happened prior to it not starting would be helpful!
You said winter... are you running a winter fuel and/or any additive? What is the temp?

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
It ran fine 3 weeks ago . I didnt run the engine til fuel shut it down . I dont use additives but i will now .The temt today is in the 60s.

Last edited:

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
The fuel pump is working and there was a little water in the seperator.When i bled the air out of the fuel filter i turned on the key and fuel came out of the vent.
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

moot

Equipment
L3010GST, Bush Hog 2045 Loader
Jan 21, 2018
GA, USA
When that happened to me, it was a crack in the bowl... easy fix but expensive for a piece of plastic...:eek:

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
I wish it was the bowl .
When the pump is running, there are no leaks .
I dont see any smoke out of exhaust while cranking the engine.
Still stumped.
Thanks for the help

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Do you have any yellow lights flashing on the dash?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I wish it was the bowl .
When the pump is running, there are no leaks .
I dont see any smoke out of exhaust while cranking the engine.
Still stumped.
Thanks for the help
You will not see smoke from a DPF equipped engine! (that is the purpose of the DPF)

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
There's no flashing lights ,the battery is charged and the motor turns over quick. No water in the seperator now but there was a little but not up to the line.the air filter is clean . I even tried to start it without it .There are no codes flashing either.
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
There's no flashing lights ,the battery is charged and the motor turns over quick. No water in the seperator now but there was a little but not up to the line.the air filter is clean . I even tried to start it without it .There are no codes flashing either.
Thanks for the help
if you're getting fuel during starting, there should be some white-ish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
You say the temperatures in the 60's so we can rule out waxing or ice.

Since you say you don't see any, make sure you have adequate fuel delivery. Start at the tank outlet. there's a strainer in there and it could be partially clogged, allowing just enough fuel to eventually fill the filter. If you pull the fuel supply line at that point, and open the fuel valve, the fuel should come out like a cow peein' on a flat rock! If it just dribbles the strainer is blocked.

If the fuel does gush out, go on to the fuel filter and check the fuel flow at the filter outlet. Again t should gush out. If it doesn't check the filter, the passages in the filter head, etc for blockage. Make sure your filter and any O-rings are installed properly.

If you have good fuel flow at the filter discharge and you have a lift pump, the best way to check that is with a low pressure gauge and a "T" fitting at the pump discharge. You should have 2-4 psi at the pump discharge when you are cranking. f you can't get a gauge on it, there should be a lot fuel coming out as you crank the engine. Some of these lift pumps have a screen on the inlet side. Check that if you have that configuration.

Finally, if there is a bleeder on the injector pump, open that up and crank the engine. lot of fuel should squirt out of there. Finally check to make sure the "return to tank" fuel line flows some fuel when you crank.

these are general trouble shooting methods for diesel engine fuel delivery problems. Kubota's have a few different types of fuel delivery systems and I certainly am not familiar with them but the same general methods apply to them. You can not start a diesel without fuel and air so you trouble shoot fuel delivery and ninety nine times out of hundred you will find crud or a extra o-ring in the filter, etc that interfering with fuel delivery. DON"T MESS WITH THE INJECTOR PUMP UNTILL YOU CHECK THE SIMPLE STUFF AND DON"T USE STARTING FLUID!

Poophead

Equipment
Kubota 3901hst
Mar 6, 2016
weleetka,oklahoma,usa
Ive checked all that .Today I did check the top high pressure line that goes to the injector pump . I cranked the engine and no fuel to the top .I know its a high pressure line .Where am i missing this at ? They have so many hoses and stuff on
both sides of the egine its hard to see in there.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The days of the home mechanic being able to diagnose and repair their own equipment are nearly over. there are probably dozens of reasons why a L3901 might not start. it is a common rail engine with electronic control of the injectors through a ECU. there are a multitude of sensors that have to be satisfied to allow the injectors to inject fuel. The only proper way to repair this is to have a Kubota tech connect Diagmaster to it to determine what is and what is not working.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Ive checked all that .Today I did check the top high pressure line that goes to the injector pump . I cranked the engine and no fuel to the top .I know its a high pressure line .Where am i missing this at ? They have so many hoses and stuff on
both sides of the egine its hard to see in there.
Specifically, what did you check and what did you find? Did you have fuel coming out of the tank to the filter, out of the filter to the lift pump, out of the lift pump to the injector pump....

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Specifically, what did you check and what did you find? Did you have fuel coming out of the tank to the filter, out of the filter to the lift pump, out of the lift pump to the injector pump....
You do realize this is a common rail injection system?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The engine parts associated with emissions system have a 5 yr warranty, so seems like it would be worth taking it in for diagnosis. Check your pamphlet that came with the tractor, but probably includes fuel delivery/common rail items.