occasionally oil coming out of tranny vent B1750 hst on shutdown

GrandKubota

Equipment
B1750Hst
Jan 12, 2018
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Hello: This is my first post, hope it is done correctly. My tractor is a b1750 HST. Occasionally the transmission pushes oil out of the tranny vent behind the drivers seat when the tractor is shut off. I have made sure the fluids level is correct and not overfilled. Hope I get help from all of you and thank you for reading this.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Also, how much fluid are we talking about?
My question also.

Those are vented for a reason, and the vents are notorious for getting gummed up with dirt, oil, mud dobbers, etc.

If it were restricted enough, is it possible it's just flinging out a spit every now and then?

I'm just guessing, and I honestly can't say it's an educated one, either....:p:p

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When was the last fluid change done on it?
Water in the fluid will cause it to foam and push some out, and yes it's normally on shutdown.
One other thing that can cause it to foam is air being added to the system via a leak on any of the suction side hoses.

GrandKubota

Equipment
B1750Hst
Jan 12, 2018
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Hi:This happens more in the severe cold weather, but will happen very rarely in the summer. The filter and oil was changed this summer. I did not notice if the oil was milky but the next time it happens I certainly will. the amount of oil is about one or two measuring cups in volume, it does vary. In the cold weather it does take considerable time for the oil to come up to a normal viscosity for efficient use of the tractor. I have a magnetic heater that usually goes on the block. I think I might try putting this on the tranny and see if the problems is mitigated. Thanking all of you again in advance.

GrandKubota

Equipment
B1750Hst
Jan 12, 2018
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Hello North Idaho wolf man:

As an added note to the above. When the fund was changed I did not flush out the gearbox. I have never done this and was hesitant. Would you suggest diesel or kerosene and would you recommend running the unit or not. I am worried about devarnishing the seals and having leaks. This tractor is old and I do not know the last time the gear box was cleaned or new seals put in. Thanks Grandkubota.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do not use anything but Hydraulic fluid to flush it, kerosene or diesel can destroy the pump and various seals. ;)

I think there might also be an issue with the vent that they installed on several of these models.
Try removing the cover and vent and see if the issue goes away. ;)

GrandKubota

Equipment
B1750Hst
Jan 12, 2018
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Thank you< I will run it with the vent out and the cover off for a few runs. Looking at the cover very carefully it appears the cover has 100 % contact with the block it sits on. There also appears to be a light coating, like maybe a few thousands thick of gasket( IE permatex) on the block. Maybe the previous owner did not understand the the function of this area and it has taken two years for the problem to re-surface. But then again maybe he thought sealing it was the easiest option to make the leak go away without fixing the root problem, if there is a root problem or just a poor initial design.
Thanks Grandkubota

RobCJ7

Dec 5, 2017
NM
When I bought my B1750 it did the same thing, trying to get a good reading on the dip stick was hard.

I use a pipe cleaner to measure the fluid and cross reference it with the dip stick, I found that my oil was overfilled, cant remember how much.

Once I drained some fluid out all was good.

GrandKubota

Equipment
B1750Hst
Jan 12, 2018
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Problem(s) solved. Several little things were a miss here 1) Both suction screens were not clean. The transmission one more so than the Hydraulic one. 2) Drained the oil and found it to be very thin and well used. Therefore not optimum for power and probably had no antifoaming agent left in it.3) several of the clamps on the suction side of the hydraulic pump, including the ones to the cooler were very slightly loose, maybe a full turn of the clamp screw. 4) did a settle test on the oil that came out of the mid PTO well after all oil drained through the Screen ports and found it to be contaminated with some water but not a lot. 5) the lift arms when they came up to the top position would hit a home made lever connected to the forward/reverse pedal. This would cause the machine to be constantly, all though very slightly, pushing the oil through the hydraulic motor causing undoubtedly excessive heat and oil degradation.

I corrected all of the above and then flushed the system twice with new TDH oil. It runs very well now on the hydraulic and transmission side.

Next is a rework of the glow plugs and the injectors.

Thanks for your info,
Grand Kubota