R1 Chains

chuck172

Equipment
L3200, ford4500tlb, ford8n
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
Whats a good type of chain for R1 Ag tires? I'm thinking snowplowing. Should I also consider chains for the front?

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I would go with something like the 1st two photos on R1's.

Duo-Ladder or Duo-Ladder V bar on photos 1 & 2. You can see the issue with the 3rd photo.

(yes the 1st two photos are on R4's but you get the point). They will be very effective on the R1 tires. Third photo - Not So Much.

I would start off with just rear chains and see how it handles first.

Attachments

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Chuck172, check out www.tirechains.com They are located right there in PA, so you might be able to pick them up and save shipping.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Those prices at tirechain.com look pretty good to me! I'd go for the front tires as well - you'll be looking at a bit over $400 before shipping for the whole works.

I pull a Rhino blade behind my L3200. I have a 6', wish it was a 7'. It has swing, rotate and tilt, so you can swing it over and really push the snow over to the side. I built a gauge wheel for it to keep the blade just a bit over the gravel.

I also built a 7' fixed plow for the FEL. I have gauge wheels on it, that allow the blade to stay an inch or two above the gravel.

Pulling the rear blade does a terrific job. Pushing snow straight ahead does quite well. Pushing and steering - the equivalent of an angled plow blade - does not work so well.

The problem is mostly that the geometry of the FEL is all wrong for plowing snow. The push force is transmitted through the FEL arms high up in the center of the tractor. It tries to pick up the front wheels, so you lose your traction in front, but still have plenty in the rear. When you try to steer you have no traction to do it with. If you pick up the plow blade just a bit you put the weight back on the front tires and do much better, but the push force is still trying to lift the front end. It becomes tolerable until you are really pushing hard.

What you are suggesting, using the curl valve to angle the plow blade, will probably not work well at all. The weight of the blade will always be on the ground, never on the front wheels. The push force will always be trying to pick up the front end, so your steering traction goes out the window.

If you keep the curl function or somehow fix the blade vertically to the FEL arms, and add a 3rd valve for angling the plow you will be able to pick the blade just a bit and get the weight on the front wheels, and you should have pretty good traction.

Attachments

chuck172

Equipment
L3200, ford4500tlb, ford8n
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
One of the main reasons I bought the L3200 is to plow my driveway. I'm now using a rusted out f250. I'm hoping that upgrading to a 4wd tractor would do the job for me. I'm planning on setting up a skid steer qa plow, angling with the curl loader cylinders. R1 chained and loaded tires, about 900 lbs. concrete filled 55 gallon drum for rear counterweight.

tenfive67

Equipment
2009 3240 Grand L GST, 2012 M7040 HDC, JD Z445 Zero Turn
Apr 6, 2014
Blue Ridge, VA
Chuck, can you post a pic of the 55 gal drum you are using for rear weight? Im interested to see how you did it. Thanks David

Stan Wetmore

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, and loader and front snowblower
Jan 17, 2013
Saint John, NB Canada
My son built his weight square as he had wood and not a barrel. He put a pipe through so he could later put a bar through for the 3 pt hitch. He said it was easier to hook it on by having the bar loose. The top has anchor bolts that he will bolt a plate on to attach the top link. He put a lifting loop in the concrete to be able to move it around easily without having it on the 3PT hitch. He has a L4150DT

Stan

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Is that a Dodge M37 in the back ground? I have a couple of old Dodge Power Wagons. They are one tough truck.