BX2200 steering freewheeling

sgsebe

Equipment
BX2200
May 11, 2012
Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
My BX2200 occasionally seems like it gets an air lock in the steering and I can spin the steering wheel freely. It's most likely to do this when trying to go straight. If I constantly turn back and forth, it seems to prevent it.
This acts to me like air is getting into the control unit. Once when it was free wheeling like this, I pushed on one of the front wheels and it turned easily like the steering cylinder was also full of air.
I've seen some old posts that this could be due to the o-rings in the cylinder, but I'm skeptical. Even with bad o-rings, I wouldn't expect the wheels to move that freely that fast, and to work OK when being turned back and forth.
Anyway, has anybody gotten to the bottom of this?

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I don't have an answer but getting the right one would be more likely if you provided the number of hours on the machine.

The first thing I would do would be to check fluid levels.

Good luck!

sgsebe

Equipment
BX2200
May 11, 2012
Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
It has 1500 hours on it. I did check the fluid level and it is OK.
Can you answer my question about the hydraulic system having negative pressure at any point such that it would suck air and entrain it into the fluid stream?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I don't think it's air but mine does it also. It has 390 hrs and it usually does it after it's hot and I've shut it off and restarted.

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
I don't think it's air but mine does it also. It has 390 hrs and it usually does it after it's hot and I've shut it off and restarted.
I'm presently having the same problem. It seems to be a common problem. I believe my problem is the steering cylinder "O" rings. There is a kit available for repair. I have not repaired the problem as yet. I'm looking for some diagrams of the steering gear. Good Luck

sgsebe

Equipment
BX2200
May 11, 2012
Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
I haven't checked the O-rings in the cylinder, but I have a hard time accepting that an o-ring could go from working fine to bypassing all the oil the steering pump can put out, with no apparent force at all. If I turn the wheel back and forth constantly, I can keep the steering working. If I stop moving it, something appears to fill with air and the wheel can be spun like it wasn't connected to anything... like there's no oil in the steering unit.

I saw a post that mentioned a pickup filter on the hydraulic pump...if that was getting plugged, and the seal on the shaft of the pump was allowing air in, that could be my problem. I haven't looked to see if I can find the pickup filter. I already changed the spin-on hydraulic filter to no avail.

Thanks for your post. It's good to know I have company in my misery.

mehig

Equipment
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
When not running I can VERY SLOWLY turn my steering wheel in several complete circles... when I jerk the wheel, you feel resistance of the steering engaging. When you jerk/turn the steering wheel quickly the amount of hydro fluid being moved is enough to over whelm the leaking of the "O" ring as opposed to moving the steering wheel slowly and allowing fluid to bypass the seal....it's apparently a common problem

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
When not running I can VERY SLOWLY turn my steering wheel in several complete circles... when I jerk the wheel, you feel resistance of the steering engaging. When you jerk/turn the steering wheel quickly the amount of hydro fluid being moved is enough to over whelm the leaking "O" ring as opposed to moving the steering wheel slowly and allowing fluid to bypass the seal....it's apparently a common problem
The steering wheel turning free is almost always the steering cyclinder orings. The cyclinder is very simple to remove, disassemble, install new seals, reassemble and reinstall. Some higher hour machines have a worn cyclinder tube.

mehig

Equipment
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
The steering wheel turning free is almost always the steering cyclinder orings. The cyclinder is very simple to remove, disassemble, install new seals, reassemble and reinstall. Some higher hour machines have a worn cyclinder tube.
IT WAS THE STEERING CYL. I took cylinder off and took it to the dealer They rebuilt my cylinder and replaced the rubber booted end joints(2) account mine were torn and charged an hour of labor. $65=labor, $91.62=2 rubber booted end joints and $36.18 for the cylinder reseal kit, total $200.40. I probably didn't loose a cup of hydraulic fluid. Easy fix....Good Luck.....400 hours total time

Last edited:

mitch

Apr 15, 2012
Plymouth, NY
Hi,
I too had the same issue of the steering freewheeling sometimes.
I eventually found hydraulic fluid leaking onto my belly mowing deck. After removing the deck and checking things out, I found that the 2 lines(sleeved) from the steering cylinder that go back to the transmission had a leak.

I removed both lines and found one line that had a slice or hole in it. I am in the process of replacing both lines with new ones.

I am hoping once I get everything back together that I will no longer have an issue with the steering.

I will keep you posted. :)

Mitch

sgsebe

Equipment
BX2200
May 11, 2012
Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
Well, it did turn out to be the O-ring on the shaft (piston) of the steering cylinder. I bought the kit through Kubota, which was about $48 after I paid shipping to my local dealer. The seals on the ends of my cylinder looked fine and weren't leaking fluid so I didn't change them. All I did was disassemble one end of the cylinder and pull the shaft out that end and replace the one O-ring on the piston, and put it all back together...and the problem is gone. Of course I'll keep all those parts I didn't use in case my cyl does develop a leak, but next time (after another 1000 hours use) my steering starts freewheeling, I'm going to be looking for a single O-ring.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well, it did turn out to be the O-ring on the shaft (piston) of the steering cylinder. I bought the kit through Kubota, which was about $48 after I paid shipping to my local dealer. The seals on the ends of my cylinder looked fine and weren't leaking fluid so I didn't change them. All I did was disassemble one end of the cylinder and pull the shaft out that end and replace the one O-ring on the piston, and put it all back together...and the problem is gone. Of course I'll keep all those parts I didn't use in case my cyl does develop a leak, but next time (after another 1000 hours use) my steering starts freewheeling, I'm going to be looking for a single O-ring.
Piston o-ring part number is K2561-16590

4x4Ernie

Equipment
BX2200
Mar 15, 2015
Western New York
I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is looking at it to get steering answers, here are my results. I called my parts guy at the dealer, and he talked to the service guys, and they said,.... you can put the rebuild kit in for $37, but it is not going to last, as it's not the o rings causing the problem, it's the bad cylinder, so it's just going to happen again, and again. They also said that Kubota won't cover the cost either. I bit the bullet, and changed the whole cylinder, and it seems to be working just fine. It's alot of money, but it sure beats crashing into something because you can't steer.:eek:

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I have the same problem rebuilt the cylinder 3 summers ago about $50 for the kit that was about 500 hours now it is doing it again about 680 hours. I think Kubota should issue a recall for this as I have read in other forums that a tsb and a revised cylinder are available.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BobBrennan

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 14, 2015
NH
I have a BX2200 with just over 900 hours on it. It has always been a bit loose in the front end. Driving a straight line and the front wheels would follow the contour of the ground slightly. Up until now, I have lived with this.

This past weekend, I went from loose to free wheeling. The steering wheel can spin and spin in either direction. If I spin it really fast then sometimes the wheels will turn a bit.

Spoke to my local service department today. They indicated that at a minimum the steering cylinder would need to be replaced. He also stated that there is a chance the hydraulic control may also be bad given debris from the cylinder floated free. When asked for a ball park quote he thought $1500 to $2000 was a likely range if I needed both the controller and cylinder. Less if the control is ok.

Based on my looking here and on other forums, it seems that rebuilding the cylinder is a temporary fix. Looking for some advice is that is accurate. Also looking for thoughts on the control. I have not seen anyone else speak of the control but for the service guy today. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks,

BB

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Steering is kinda important. Probably the most important thing, even ahead of stopping.

Now, I am no attorney but, seems to me if there is a problem with this critical function on a series of machines, there oughta be a recall or at least more willingness on the part of the manufacturer to resolve these problems when they come up.

I guess the attorneys have advised them its cheaper to wait until someone gets seriously injured or killed first. There should be no single point of failure that eliminates your ability to steer your vehicle.

Just sayin'.

:confused:

BobBrennan

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 14, 2015
NH
My BX2200 sat for a couple days in the yard while I tried to source a new steering cylinder. I went to move it inside to work on it and the steering worked like a champ. There is no way that the steering cylinder could auto correct so I am now looking into the steering control.

First order of business will be new fluid and filter. I am guessing that some of the internal valve assembly is gummed up or sticking. Got to figure out what is inside and if there is a way to purge/clean the unit.

More as this develops,

BB

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
When mine started acting up I took the steering controller out and nothing was wrong with it. It was the steering cylinder. It would work fine until it got warmed up real good then it would act up. Got a kit and rebuilt it and worked fine for about three years then started acting up again. I guess I will talk to the dealer and see if there is a permanent fix.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
My dealer didn't even offer me that choice about 3 years ago when I bought the rebuild kit.