Speaking about hot...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's wicked here and has been for a few days. Right now it's 95 with 80% humidity. Doing nothing is the name of the game.

95 isn't bad but the humidity makes it really bad.

In 4 months will be snowing....:eek:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Perfect weather for baling hay!
We go to 94 earlier with a heat index of 106, but it has "cooled off" to 91 now.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Perfect weather for baling hay!
We go to 94 earlier with a heat index of 106, but it has "cooled off" to 91 now.
With air conditioned tractors... I'm done until September anyway.

One thing I don't like doing when it's this hot is round baling dry hay. Too much of a chance of a baler fire. Never lost one myself but know of 2 other operators who have. One JD and one Klaas. Once they start, best thing to do is unhitch and move the tractor away.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Been hot here too in Upstate New York, and we've gotten a few rains on and off.

Can almost hear the corn growing.

While most went in very late, I swear the field corn has doubled in height in a week.

I noticed today a nearby sweet corn patch was tasseled out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The heat is driving it hard coupled with the nitrogen everyone applied and there is still quite a bit of ground moisture from the spring rains.

With field corn it will come down to if there is an early frost or not. Field corn is usually 85 day (to maturity) so that first frost is everything.

Beans, not so much.

What took a hit here are the produce farmers. Cabbage is fine but melons, peppers and eating tomatoes because of the late rains weren't even planted.

We are supposed to cool down tomorrow with PM rain. Fine with me.

My dog is living in the bedroom, it has ac. he's not stupid. Eats, goes out and does his business and right back to the bedroom.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Still 82 here with 81% stupidity
Had a dry thunderhead blow over about an hour ago and it cooled it off about 10 degrees but no rain. All the rain is going north of us so far. Maybe tonight. I have my rain gauge on the ready.... Left the tiller out too in hopes it gets washed. NWS says 90% chance tomorrow. With our luck we will be in the 10% window.

Should have got whole house air when we got the farmhouse restored 20 years ago but didn't. I kick myself for that every summer.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Was quite hot in Maine today, we jacked up the barn. Couldn't figure out how to use the 3 pt. hitch to do it, kidding. Jacks used to be lighter and worked easier. The two ice creams helped.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Was quite hot in Maine today, we jacked up the barn. Couldn't figure out how to use the 3 pt. hitch to do it, kidding. Jacks used to be lighter and worked easier. The two ice creams helped.
Have a handle on that. My wife and I have a very close friend and he and his wife live in Stockton Springs and he sent me an e-mail earlier that it was 95 there and the black flies were out in droves. He was headed for a cool shower. Said he bought some kind of sticky stuff at the local hardware and put it on an inverted Dixie cup which he attached to his baseball cap and went out to the mailbox and collected at least 20 black flies just walking to the roadside mailbox and back. Glad we don't have them here, ticks are bad enough.

That kind of heat is unusual in Maine or so I'm told (by him).

Going up there next summer for a couple weeks. My wife wants to go to Bar Harbor and I want to do a tour of Bath Iron Works. I have a thing for ships.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It's wicked here and has been for a few days. Right now it's 95 with 80% humidity. Doing nothing is the name of the game.

95 isn't bad but the humidity makes it really bad.

In 4 months will be snowing....:eek:
Sounds like a normal summer day here in Louisiana;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Waaaaa crybabies....LOL.

In Arkansas (and many other southern states) it's 95/75 and the humidity 80% or better on a daily basis for 3 1/2-4 months straight with a very occasional break. It's been nasty lately with heat index in the 110 range. I had to work yesterday out in it, highest I saw was 113. No breeze (I mean ZERO) either. Dead still. Got sun burnt in under 5 minutes.

But you boys up north get to endure snowmageddon every year. I hate snow. I hate cold. Y'all ain't really prepared for the heat and humidity much the same as we aren't prepared for the snow. If it snows an inch here, they roll up the sidewalks and close all the schools--sometimes in the middle of the day. Reminds me of some of my high school days when they closed school at 1:00 and the parents all had to take off work early to pick the kids up. Talk about mass chaos. I rode the bus, when the bus ran. Had to walk home that one day, about a 2 hour walk, but it wasn't too bad. Heck back then they even closed school for the first week of deer season. Nobody showed up for school on the second week either but school was open--and they didn't count it against anyone's attendance. Needless to say, it was a "day off" for two weeks for most everybody. Ain't that way now, though. But they do allow a day off for MLK day, optional of course. Schools open but they don't count it against you if you skip.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Waaaaa crybabies....LOL.

In Arkansas (and many other southern states) it's 95/75 and the humidity 80% or better on a daily basis for 3 1/2-4 months straight with a very occasional break. It's been nasty lately with heat index in the 110 range. I had to work yesterday out in it, highest I saw was 113. No breeze (I mean ZERO) either. Dead still. Got sun burnt in under 5 minutes.

But you boys up north get to endure snowmageddon every year. I hate snow. I hate cold. Y'all ain't really prepared for the heat and humidity much the same as we aren't prepared for the snow. If it snows an inch here, they roll up the sidewalks and close all the schools--sometimes in the middle of the day. Reminds me of some of my high school days when they closed school at 1:00 and the parents all had to take off work early to pick the kids up. Talk about mass chaos. I rode the bus, when the bus ran. Had to walk home that one day, about a 2 hour walk, but it wasn't too bad. Heck back then they even closed school for the first week of deer season. Nobody showed up for school on the second week either but school was open--and they didn't count it against anyone's attendance. Needless to say, it was a "day off" for two weeks for most everybody. Ain't that way now, though. But they do allow a day off for MLK day, optional of course. Schools open but they don't count it against you if you skip.
Our schools close if there is even a chance of a dusting of snow. Most I have seen in the 8 years I have been here is about an inch and a half. Only 2 or 3 dustings in that time, too.

Some of the rural schools around here close for opening day of squirrel season.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't mind snow other than the cold. Give me a chance to use my big snowplow and do the road. Right now it's sitting in the weeds, doing nothing.

I've always maintained the change of seasons allow the land to rest to produce a bountiful crop the next year.

Besides, we don't have fire ants and Kudzu either.:eek:

Pleasant here today, mid 70's with a breeze and the humidity has dropped off. Might get some gardening done today.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Temps dropped to 70 here, but rain and still sticky.

Rain we'll take. The heat is OK... The moisture in the air can go....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Waaaaa crybabies....LOL.

Yeah, but you guys don’t have a 120-130 degrees Fahrenheit temperature swing throughout the year. 25-30 below in the winter to 90-100 in the summer is a huge adjustment for the body, then through in the humidity for added stress. I will take the snow and cold any day over the three H’s, hazy hot and humid.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've lived where the coldest the winter got was 45 deg. Summer hot and extremely humid. Roaches were common, the size of a mans thumb, found them everywhere. Lizards would be on the curtain rods, making funny noises all night.

I prefer the change of seasons. The winter helps get rid of the bugs, breaks up the soil, gives the mind a break from boredom, forces folks to plan, keeps the brain working, even if it's complaining!

It's easy to think we have it BAD.

I met a young family who's baby was born an insulin dependent diabetic. Can't imagine how those parents feel in their quiet time. Having to prick the babies heal before feeding him, and do it for a life time.

Make weather insignificant.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Snow has other good points as well like when we have a blizzard we get to stay inside by the fire and think about how nice summer would be....:)

A good friend's wife has to have injections too and he has to do it because she's partially paralyized.

I had to give myself injections after my surgery. Not fun even though the needles are pretty fine. Only for a month though, once a day in my belly. Didn't hurt, was the putting it in that bothered me.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Temps dropped to 70 here, but rain and still sticky.

Rain we'll take. The heat is OK... The moisture in the air can go....
All been running north of us. Like to see some come our way, would be good for my hay. Maybe today according to NWS.

Still mild here, in the mid 70's instead of 95 plus.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
As us Old Timers say up this way " We have two season's, Shoveling and Swatting."
I'll take the winter over summer heat on any day.