Best way to tie down a tractor?

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
Nice!!! Just make sure you use the highest rated ratchet straps you can get! The Weight Master around here wouldnt let that fly. Only certified chains and ratchet binders for me!

They have weld on D rings that are higher rated than those bolt on ones:

The ones you used look to be :
Breaking strength: 12000 lbs
Safe working load: 4000 lbs

grimace

Equipment
L3800 and 12 implements. City boy country toy!
Apr 20, 2011
Thief River Falls, MN USA
These are rated at 11000 pounds and are welded on.
And the straps I use are 10000 rated and I dont let them rub on anything.
I dont see how chains and binders are that much better?
The tractor with an implement is about 4200 LB.
If Iam doing this wrong please let know!!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The laws in each state are different but more than likely chains and binders are required by law, they are in Ga. One chain and binder on each corner are required here and if you have a implement is hooked up it has to be chained also. Most of the time THE MAN won't mess with farm equipment as long as it looks secure and safe. I personally use 2" straps on mine instead of chains.

Tip:
After years of being a heavy equipment operator I have learned this. A dirty truck will get stopped over a clean truck every time. If your truck/trailer is nasty and looks like rolling scrap metal you are giving them a excuse to pull you over. Correct lighting and being clean will make a difference.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
+1

"Tip:
After years of being a heavy equipment operator I have learned this. A dirty truck will get stopped over a clean truck every time. If your truck/trailer is nasty and looks like rolling scrap metal you are giving them a excuse to pull you over. Correct lighting and being clean will make a difference."

Kytim

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
As an observation, not criticism: the third picture shows the ratchet strap running laterally at a pretty steep angle. It might be more convenient to reach, but that strap isn't going to do as much to hold the tractor forward and back as it will left to right. You would do better to move it so it is more in line with the long axis of the tractor.

Bulldog made a great point about presentation being important. If you look like you know what you're doing and run a tight operation, you can get away with a safe but not technically legal setup while others doing the same thing but with messy, untidy or disreputable looking rigs will get stopped. 4 10,000 pound ratchet straps properly secured to good fastening points on that rig is not unsafe, whether or not it's legal. I don't see anything wrong with working around the legal requirements while remaining thoroughly safe with things like this.

I really like the idea of permanent D-rings to quickly and easily secure the tractor. Good job!

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
While looking at your pic's again, I noticed something. I may just be me but, I really don't think you should have welded the rings onto a certified ROPS. The heat could cause a failure in a roll. Look, I'm not wanting to start an argument just stating the observation about an engineered piece of safety equipment with a stated stress factor.

I really like the idea of permanent locations for tie-downs on both a tractor and its trailer.

Kytim

Rev. Timothy S. Midkiff

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
WOW I never even thaught of that the warranty!
Would welding onto the ROPS really weaken it?
Yes it can or even make it stonger so in both case you have altered it from its original tested design .I wouldn't mind betting your insurance company would jump on this in the unfortunate event of you having a serious accident as an excuse not to pay out!
Well spotted Kytim!

Dave

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
unfortunate world we live in today!

kytim

mike sacc

Equipment
L 2850 tiller rough cut mower chipper/shredder home made weight box forks
Apr 30, 2011
coventry ri usa
usually if there is an area that shouldnt be welded it is posted from the factory.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I agree with Bulldog 110%. I've been a professional truck driver and equipment hauler for 10 years and yeah 9 times out of 10 the fugly beaters get the fine tooth comb treatment over a shiny clean looking rig. But then again if the DOT inspector gets a burr up his ass he can and will pull over ANY AND ALL trucks at random and check them over. Up here in Virginia is much like Bulldog stated in his home state of Georgia. Four chains and four binders are required and a fifth is to be used if its on a backhoe or excavator.

Even though the straps your using are rated for a 10,000 WLL. They will not fly in most cases because they are to easily cut, nicked or broken and will break.

Here's a link to a good read on cargo securement. Its a long read and meant for the big rigs on the highways. But me personally I chain down my landscape equipemt and tractors the same way I tie them down on my big rig.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Actually what I do with my own tractor is I hook a clevis on my drawbar on the back of the tractor and run a chain threw there. Then on the front end I run a chain threw the bracket where the suit case's hang or sometimes I'll wrap the front axle. Ideally you want to either cross the chains in an X pattern or a V pattern to get equal tension front to rear.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
I am in the Rental industry, with a very large company. The Federal and State regulations have changed significantly in the last two years. For instance ALL vehicles that have a trailer with a #10,000 capacity or more (regardless of what you are hauling) the drivers must have a DOT medial card, and are subject to a dot inspection. If you have a small business you will also need a DOT# and state registered in displayed on the both sides of the truck, inspection decals for truck and trailer, and now the are looking for daily inspection log books too. In most states straps will only fly on implements or units under 2,000 lbs in total weight. Also 4 points on contact only fly with nothing attached, if you have a loader and/or backhoe attached they must be secured with a minimum of two points of contact and in most states (if not all now) they must be chains and binders, they don't care if you are scratching your paint. They are cracking down on many who are hauling unsafe loads on unsafe equipment, I have seen it so many times it is unreal. I have stories that last 100 posts or more just from the last year.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am in the Rental industry, with a very large company. The Federal and State regulations have changed significantly in the last two years. For instance ALL vehicles that have a trailer with a #10,000 capacity or more (regardless of what you are hauling) the drivers must have a DOT medial card, and are subject to a dot inspection. If you have a small business you will also need a DOT# and state registered in displayed on the both sides of the truck, inspection decals for truck and trailer, and now the are looking for daily inspection log books too. In most states straps will only fly on implements or units under 2,000 lbs in total weight. Also 4 points on contact only fly with nothing attached, if you have a loader and/or backhoe attached they must be secured with a minimum of two points of contact and in most states (if not all now) they must be chains and binders, they don't care if you are scratching your paint. They are cracking down on many who are hauling unsafe loads on unsafe equipment, I have seen it so many times it is unreal. I have stories that last 100 posts or more just from the last year.
Same thing here in Canada in regards to the weight and 4 point attaching. Transport chain and binders must be used on something as heavy as even a compact tractor. And they are even specifying ratcheting binders.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

3GoatHill

Equipment
L4400
Sep 8, 2014
Bath, PA
I want to weld (or have welded) D-rings on a L4400. I will put the ones on the front like the original photos at the start of this thread. But I am at a loss as to where to put them on the back. Any suggestions?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What about using a shackle on the draw bar? I've seen that done with one chain going side to side and one binder.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I've seen that but don't like it. The tractor can still move sideways.

Bruce