New to the forum have a question about rtv900

litenyaup

Oct 17, 2016
Florida
I recently purchased a 2004 rtv900 diesel and when I let off the throttle it stops very fast. Feels like an engine break but engages too hard. Want to make sure this is how it's supposed to operate? Just not sure if there is an adjustment for it or if that's how it is. Any help with this would be amazing! Other than that it runs really well.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
CVT drive?

From reading a few places online... what you describe is normal. Apparently, some have no issue getting use to decelerating differently than typical via slow foot lift while others have gone to an aftermarket Coast Valve. Some generic search of the internet will find you more on this topic.

Last edited:

Hondahead

Mar 31, 2015
Does it do it in forward and reverse? Reverse I can understand. Forward would be annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Yes, I have one and I am used to it. It is actually handy that way especially when driving through the woods.

litenyaup

Oct 17, 2016
Florida
I did some more research and found there is a "coast relief valve" to replace the valve that comes installed to eliminate that harsh deceleration. From what I read these machines had this installed from the factory to help on hills and steep terrain but for me it is just a nuisance. The replacement valve is $130 and is a very quick install. I have ordered it and will post up when I get it in and installed.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Yes cvt drive. The guy said its normal just wanted to make sure.

Yes both forward and reverse.
Incorrect! CVT is belt drive, you have hydrostatic. Now that's been said the early units always had more of a harsh dynamic braking which when a hydro is operating properly, than you would like. Like traveling at a good rate and let off the accelerator and the back tires will skid!

Here is something for you!
http://www.orangeaftermarket.com/Co...-Kubota-RTV900-RTV1100-and-RTV1140_p_635.html

Pat

litenyaup

Oct 17, 2016
Florida
Yes, sorry not cvt I do have the hydrostatic transmission. And yes it it that drastic that the rear tires will skid. Hope this coast valve does the trick.

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
It is counter intuitive at first, but I love it, after just a couple days you no longer just let off the throttle. Instead you gently back off, just like any other HST. I can idle down very steep terrain and never touch the brake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

litenyaup

Oct 17, 2016
Florida
I have zero hills or anything like that where I'm at so I have absolutely no need for it. It actually makes it more of a hindrance than anything. It is going to be used for right of way work.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I believe the magic letters are 'IVT', as in Infinitely Variable Transmission.

We have a 2009 RVT1100 and it can be a real neck snapper. If you are with the kids and letting them learn how to drive, be sure and keep one hand on the dash! :D

I would really like to try the coaster valve. Just too cheap to order one.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Make sure you identify in plain language on the unit that braking/Coasting system is modified so the next owner/user .... who might live in hills..... knows it. Can't assume you will outlive the RTV.

litenyaup

Oct 17, 2016
Florida
Well super fast shipping. Arrived yesterday and put it in today. Works flawless. Took me all of 5 minutes to install. I can be at full throttle and completely take my foot off the accelerator and it's a very smooth easy slow almost coast to stop. No more getting thrown threw the windshield.

Highly recommended for anyone who had no use for breaking assist.