What brand of Hydraulic Fluid do you use?

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
Anyone know if Kubota Replacement hydro filters were once sold in the all gray color, like the original filters?
They were the same color as the replacements but were painted gray with the rest of the tractor after assembly at the factory.

If you have gray ones they were on it from the beginning like mine, 600 hours. NO, I bought it that way, I would never not change them when needed. In fact I can't believe anyone would fail to do so. I'd like to give the original owner a swift kick in the ass...and me for not noticing it before I bought it.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Sorry Kurtee, but that's a negative, Bobcat's run on a thicker oil than Kubota HST's, in fact bobcat recommends using 10w 40 motor oil in the system and not Hydraulic fluid. ;)
Perhaps you can explain why the Bobcat dealer service department should not recommend this product for use in Bobcats. Bobcat has gone away from the motor oil thing for hydraulic fluid. Most likely this is because of the reduction/removal of the zinc in motor oil. Have you bothered to look at the specs of this product to see if it is close to Kubota specs?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Perhaps you can explain why the Bobcat dealer service department should not recommend this product for use in Bobcats. Bobcat has gone away from the motor oil thing for hydraulic fluid. Most likely this is because of the reduction/removal of the zinc in motor oil. Have you bothered to look at the specs of this product to see if it is close to Kubota specs?
Well there isn't a Bobcat dealer within 250 mile from me, so no I can't explain what a dealer would or wouldn't recommend.
But I do know how to read a Owners manual and there is no mention of zink just a mention of using 10w 40 motor oil to run in it when Bobcat fluid is not available, but I will look into it.

As far as Kubota UDT and Super UDT2 fluid goes.

Properties listed for UDT are:
Gravity, degree API 29.5
Viscosity @ -30°C, cP 18,300
Viscosity @100°C, cSt 9.5
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 60.0
Viscosity Index 140
Pour Point, C° max -35
Zinc, % wt. 0.12

For Super UDT:
Specific Gravity @-15.6° .0877
Viscosity @ 25°C, cSt 84
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 9.00
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 45
Pour Point, C° max -46
Zinc % wt. 0.17

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
They were the same color as the replacements but were painted gray with the rest of the tractor after assembly at the factory.

If you have gray ones they were on it from the beginning like mine, 600 hours. NO, I bought it that way, I would never not change them when needed. In fact I can't believe anyone would fail to do so. I'd like to give the original owner a swift kick in the ass...and me for not noticing it before I bought it.
He's probably hiding now!

After that many years and hours, were the hydro filters difficult to remove?
Also, was the suction filter clogged and difficult to remove, as well?

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D

I just inherited an '83 B5100D from my father-in-law. About 1000 hrs. I just performed the first hydro/trans fluid, front differential/hub fluid, and steering box fluid changes since this machine was purchased new by my FIL in 1983. The fluid that came out looked like melted chocolate ice cream, but amazingly everything worked fine. The suction filter was a little gunked up, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Cleaned and re-installed. I asked him why he never changed it and he said "It just got to be so long and got the point I was afraid to touch it." Definitely a testament to the durability of these machines. Runs great! I hope to pass it on to my son in 20 years.

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA

Not hard to remove, I used a large pair of channel locks.

I expected a large amount of crap in the filters. I cut them apart looking for it but there really wasn't much. I watched a video on youtube showing a Kubota with the magnet on the filter and all the metal stuck to it. Mine doesn't have the magnet. It also doesn't have a strainer (screen) that I could find.

But with new filters and new fluid the tractor is so much better, the whine sound went away and the hydraulics are smooth. Before I did this service I drove the tractor on the road about a mile in H and as fast as it would go because everyone is in a huge hurry around here and didn't want run over. The further I went the louder the whine got, not sure if it could have gone another mile. It's good now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it takes UDT it will take Mystik JT-5.
I know of several that have changed and they are all happy with the results, and their wives are even happier because it's less money spent! ;)
And yes even HST's!

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
If it takes UDT it will take Mystik JT-5.
I know of several that have changed and they are all happy with the results, and their wives are even happier because it's less money spent! ;)
And yes even HST's!
mine calls for super udt

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Anyone know if Kubota Replacement hydro filters were once sold in the all gray color, like the original filters?
My dealer sells both. The gray are marked made in Japan just like the oem. One version of white filters come from Mexico and the other white one are USA made.

Just to answer your original question, I use Amsoil.

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
You may want to contact a couple of dealers in your area and get quotes on Super UDT. Ask for discounts, you may be pleasantly surprised.

When I called Valvoline (who makes Super UDT for Kubota) they told me that Super UDT is only sold with the Kubota brand label. They make competive products for the other Kubota lubricants, but cannot make Super UDT without
the Kubota label.

Cheap insurance to use what is called for, IMHO.

Over 300 hours, it may pay off in many ways.

mine calls for super udt

MizzouTiger

Equipment
L3200HST w/LA524 FEL, Rhino BX66 & RX5, Land Pride FDR1672
Sep 19, 2015
West Central Missouri
Well the L3200 called for UDT2 and I called up Coleman Equipment since they're local to me and the wife said do it. They sold it to me at 10% less. Bought 2 2.5 gal jugs and 2 1 gal jugs it has 106hrs currently. Buy once cry once, but will say the tractor is ALOT quieter when mowing and is all around more responsive with the UDT2 now. NO idea what the Tulsa dealer put in it when they did the first change at 29 hours(possibly the prior owner cheaped out and just put UDT in there).

65specialk

Equipment
B21 BX25D
Aug 9, 2011
Gasburg, Va.
Need to change the hydraulic fluid in my 2004 B7800.

Should I stay with Kubota brand fluid?

Or, are there other brands offering high quality

and performance at a lower cost?

UDT Super 2 . Any noises will also go away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk