What brand of Hydraulic Fluid do you use?

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
Need to change the hydraulic fluid in my 2004 B7800.

Should I stay with Kubota brand fluid?

Or, are there other brands offering high quality
and performance at a lower cost?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would imagine that you have UDT in yours - if so, there are several other oils that will fit the bill.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I am a cheap SOB so have tried many hydraulic oils. New Holland Ambra, Case, Sam's Club, Tractor Supply (premium), are a few that come immediately to mind.

You know what, every single time I have drained the oil out and put in Kubota UDT or SUDT within 50 hours due to poor performance, grinding, hesitation, and weird noises. Especially in the HST machines but also the hydraulic clutch in the M7040.

Not only am I cheap, but also plain stupid. I ended up spending way more than if I just used Kubota oils from the start. And two of my tractors take 15 gallons each!

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Learn from my mistakes.

Now, I did put Amsoil 10w-30 in the backhoe because of the heat here and the chattering hydraulics when the machine gets super hot.

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
Thanks for the follow up. Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting that I use Kubota fluid in my b7800 with FEL, or Amsoil?

I am a cheap SOB so have tried many hydraulic oils. New Holland Ambra, Case, Sam's Club, Tractor Supply (premium), are a few that come immediately to mind.

You know what, every single time I have drained the oil out and put in Kubota UDT or SUDT within 50 hours due to poor performance, grinding, hesitation, and weird noises. Especially in the HST machines but also the hydraulic clutch in the M7040.

Not only am I cheap, but also plain stupid. I ended up spending way more than if I just used Kubota oils from the start. And two of my tractors take 15 gallons each!

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Learn from my mistakes.

Now, I did put Amsoil 10w-30 in the backhoe because of the heat here and the chattering hydraulics when the machine gets super hot.

jplumb

Equipment
bx25d
Dec 9, 2013
rimer,pa,usa
I tried another brand of universal fluid from Tractor Supply that said it was good for Kubota in my BX25D. The backhoe and the front loader worked fine but when I tried going up a grade the transmission would chatter and I had to use low range and 4 wheel drive to travel. I changed back to the Kubota fluid and things returned to normal. Whatever additive they use in their Kubota Super UDT2 Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid it does make a difference.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thanks for the follow up. Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting that I use Kubota fluid in my b7800 with FEL, or Amsoil?
Not necessarily. Amsoil is fine fluid but would likely be way overkill for your application. And it is WAY expensive.

I was merely pointing out that, although I endorse Kubota fluids, I do use Amsoil for a special application. You don't have that need, IMO.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
UFC of Lafayette, MN recommended Indol iso46 for my old Bobcat 642. (Coop that is also a Bobcat dealer/service center.) Works perfectly. I believe it would work in the Kubota also. Iffen you are seeking low cost this is not it tho. Just might be easier to get for some people.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
UFC of Lafayette, MN recommended Indol iso46 for my old Bobcat 642. (Coop that is also a Bobcat dealer/service center.) Works perfectly. I believe it would work in the Kubota also. Iffen you are seeking low cost this is not it tho. Just might be easier to get for some people.
Sorry Kurtee, but that's a negative, Bobcat's run on a thicker oil than Kubota HST's, in fact bobcat recommends using 10w 40 motor oil in the system and not Hydraulic fluid. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use what Service Dpt. Vic recommends in the video - TDH hydraulic oil from Walmart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeaolHWdslg
Mike,

while that is true what Vic is using, on the "newer" machines the newer oils will make all the difference in the world. Vic's video was uploaded in '09, not to say the world has changed much since then, but I dont think the S-udt2 was out then.

Many of us have old tractors and lawn mowers that are 30+ years old, and most all of them said use straight 30w oil..... and that was that - it was the best you could buy then! YET some STILL run the same 30w in there.....cause that is what it said....back then!

Riddle me this Batman, why would someone pay 20k or more on a new tractor, and then save $100 bucks on an "oil" that is NOT recommended?

Again I use the analogy, if good blood was $10 a quart but a much, much better blood was $100, which one you gonna buy........FOR you DAUGHTER that needs blood?????? ;)

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Mike, while that is true what Vic is using, on the "newer" machines the newer oils will make all the difference in the world. Vic's video was uploaded in '09, not to say the world has changed much since then, but I dont think the S-udt2 was out then.
Right - mine is an '89 and the OP's is an '04 - the Wally TDH is UDT compatible. I read on here that Valvoline makes hydraulic oil for Kubota as well as Wally's brand. I'm all about learning something new, but how many here use TDH hydraulic fluid in their older tractors with no issues?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I bought JT-5 for my 70's? L1500DT. I'm sure that any of the hy-tran fluids would have worked just fine, but synthetics oils just work better in cold weather.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Can't speak to newer machines but I purhased Tractor Supply "303 equivalent" for an old Yanmar and I bought their UDT for my 1989 L2050. No problems and in fact notice a distinct improvement in the Kubota straight away. Personally if any oil sold under any label meets the device manufacturer's spec's then it ought to be good to go. If it doesn't it isn't. Nor do I believe putting an oil or grease better than anything available at the time something was manufactured will necessarily improve the service life of the machine. I've seen a couple things flat advise against it because it can be detrimental to the function of a clutch or brake that shares the same fluid.

My 3 cents.

Last edited:

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
A few days ago I changed the Hydraulic Fluid and filters, I used Kubota Super UDT2 and it was well worth it. No more whine, no more jerking of the backhoe and it sounds better too.