Are you happy with the hydraulic lift capacity of your Kubota?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
By that picture, I have the same forks. You think it's bad on that big L, they are almost completely useless on my piddly little B2150. The only practical use I've found is putting a pallet on them and then loading with my scaffolding and paint gear to take it to/from where it needs to be. I've also managed to use it for hauling brush scraps from a tree I took down. But those nice super heavy duty forks (as opposed to the common tubular fork like objects) are truly wasted on me.

That said, have you considered a rear fork mount? With that L, you have a lot more power in your 3 point for lifting. Combined with hydraulic top link, I think it could work well for some things (that don't need a lot of height), like maybe your rock project. I had considered doing something like that to make my forks usable, then found my B2150 has only 1000 lb capacity on the rear, so not enough improvement to make it worth wile, and I don't have a top hydraulic link, so couldn't tip/tilt.

I'm really wishing I had gone for a small L when I got this tractor. It's more than I need most of the time, but there are times it falls abysmally short...

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I have a L 3301 and mine came with the 42 inch forks. So far I have had no problem with what I have done with it. I have a rear mount Kubota 5 foot blower and I picked that up with most of the weight sitting on the tips. No problem picking it up but I would not want to go very high with it as the back of the tractor felt light. I have R 4 tires and are loaded. I have picked up logs that were 12 foot long and appox 14 inch dia and stacked them about 5 foot high with no problems. On my old tractor it was about the same size as the Kubota I added bucket forks. When I traded it in my bucket was all bent up from them and I swore zI would never use them again

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I am happy, AFTER adjusting my hydraulics...

Here is a picture of +1477.91lbs being lifted with a set of 42" titan forks. The rear of the machine was very light, I could have lifted more with the proper counter weight.

I dove into the double stack on the back of my truck that weighted about 3500lbs and the back of the tractor went right up in the air like nothing.

This is with a L3710 with a LA682 loader (1500lbs at pin). The titan forks weigh 320lbs alone. The rear tires are loaded with Rimguard and I had a ~500lb box blade hanging off the back as well.

This means I'm lifting about 1800lbs in this pic, and I know I can do 2000 without much issue. Keep in mind much of this load is at least 30+" from the pivot so I would imagine its equal to closer to 2500+ at the pivot...

Attachments

Last edited:

KBinCT

Nov 16, 2014
Ledyard, CT USA
Using my L3901 I lifted a 1960 Chevy straight 6 engine with the 3 speed tranny attached and set it on the back of a pickup with no problem. The scrap yard said the engine/tranny combo weighed close to 900 pounds. I have a set of pallet forks from Everything Attachment that have a 2200 pound capacity and they weigh in at 238 pounds. They have 42 inch forks.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My KingKutter tiller weighs in a shade over 900 lbs. I can lift it with the bucket using loading straps off the top of the bucket. Trying to pick it up with the forks and it will curl but the lift cannot pick it up because its a couple feet further out on the moment arm.

If you are looking to turn your tractor into a fork lift, be advised you'll have to crank up your hydraulics to get much use out of them. For light stuff, like my shop cabinets that came on pallets and weighed about 300 lbs, you are OK. Anything north of 5-600 lbs and you are maxing out your L 3800. But, cranking up your hydraulics doesn't make your bucket lip any stronger... YOU MAY BEND IT.

In other words, don't bother buying heavy duty 2000 lb capacity forks. You'll never get the use out of them and their weight will kill your lift capacity further. Mine are rated at 1600 lbs and my bucket would be severely damaged if I actually picked up 1600 lbs.

Ray

cn2redjeep

Equipment
L3901, tiller, finish mower, pallet forks, rear blade
Mar 27, 2015
Illinois
Well I guess I'll jump into this conversation. Very dissatisfied with my L3901 loader capacity. Been back to dealer 3 times.
1st time response, well maybe your overloading the bucket!
2nd time to dealer same complaint, ok well maybe we need to check the hydraulic pressures. Findings= well not quite up to specs maybe we need to order some shims for the relief valve.
I won't bore you about the next two trips back to the shop.
But this trip the service manager reluctantly agreed it didn't seem quite right. Bottom line the HST has a problem while crowding into a pile of rock the hydro stat takes pressure away from the other hydraulics. = loss of lifting capabilities.
Next problem is while trying to crowd into the rock pile and curl the bucket then the hoisting cylinders are robbed and lifting stops until you stop the curling of the bucket.
This is 1950s technologies when loaders were 1st offered for farm tractors, you could not hoist and curl the bucket at the same time.
I swear if not cured in the next trip, when I load it to bring it home I'm going to the closest John Deer dealer I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcbailey

Equipment
B2920
Jun 17, 2013
southern wv
I wasn't impressed with the lifting capacity of my L3901 either. My pressure relief valve was set right at 2000 psi, so after measuring I bumped it up to 2700 psi..quite a difference! You need to move you load toward the tractor away from the tips of the forks for max lift. Now I had to build a 1000 lb ballast box to counter the logs I'm picking up.
Is this something that is easy to do? I have a B2920 and have the same feelings of loving everything but FEL performance.

bryanduke

May 4, 2016
US
I had a L3901 but ended up getting rid of it and getting an MX4800 for the extra lift capacity. I use pallet forks quite a bit. I even use some 8ft pallet fork extensions that I fabricated. That is an 8x12 prefabricated storage shed kit in the photo.

Petegoud

Equipment
L3200HST
Oct 8, 2012
Chehalis,WA
I have 42" forks on my L3200HST and have been disappointed in the lifting capacity. I can't even lift 4 railroad ties, and I do know that the weight should be closet to the tractor. I've checked my hydraulic pressures, and they are all within specs. I hesitate to bump up the relief valve because of the increased strain on lines, etc. The only solution I can think of is larger cylinders. Any other ideas?

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
I have a set of the 1500# titan clamp on forks on my L3901 and can lift anything that the hydraulics will lift with no damage or bending of the bucket. 1st if you will notice the forks are notched for chains to hold them to the bucket. If you use chains and binders when lifting heavy loads it won't bend the bucket at all, forks are solid. I have picked up several logs 16 to 18 ft long about 16" to 18" in diameter. I may check my hyd pressure and turn it up to the factory max if it's not but these forks will do anything the tractor can handle if chained to the bucket. So far I'm happy. Picks up 5' round bales and haul they around the pasture and unload them from a trailer. I've also got a 1000# ballast on the rear for counterweight.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have 42" forks on my L3200HST and have been disappointed in the lifting capacity. I can't even lift 4 railroad ties, and I do know that the weight should be closet to the tractor. I've checked my hydraulic pressures, and they are all within specs. I hesitate to bump up the relief valve because of the increased strain on lines, etc. The only solution I can think of is larger cylinders. Any other ideas?
these ties - are they stacked up or stacked out?

How far from the pin are they?

here is data:

Lift to full height (at pin): 1,131 lbs
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 855 lbs (this is out 20")

4 ties will come in right under 800 pounds, DEPENDING on the placement on the forks, I could see it NOT picking it up.

If you place a point away from the pivot point a good ways, it will not pick up a 200 pound man.

Personally - I WOULD bump up the hydraulics, turn it up 8-10% and you'll see a large difference, and no damage to any plumbing.:)

cn2redjeep

Equipment
L3901, tiller, finish mower, pallet forks, rear blade
Mar 27, 2015
Illinois
Good luck, my new 3901 was in the shop 5 times for the same problem. They never did get it correct. Sooo there is yet another brand new L 3901 setting in my shed. Total replacement plus full warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm glad I bought my L3800 before the L3901 three tier crap. The more junk the government makes manufactures add, the worse the machine gets.
BUT I too am disappointed with the lift capacity. I order steel for my business and its weighed before delivered. The sales staff knows max per pallet/skid is 950 lbs. At that weight I can just barely pick up/curl and unload with RPM's revved.
If you want to lift 2000 lbs. You better get a forklift or 'big' tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
For the size of the machine yes I am very happy with what it will do

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Its just like hot rods: capability is measured in dollars.
Speed cost money, how fast can you afford to go?
People never question this in cars. They don't complain that "my (insert car here) wont break a 10 second quarter mile, there must be something wrong with it." When you hit design capability, that's it. You either live with it or spend money to increase capability.

Lift capacity costs money, how heavy can you afford to lift?
Lift less or spend more, thems your options.

And yes, Im happy with the lift capacity of my Kubota

Last edited:

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Not too happy with mine, either.

I bought some good CAT forks, and I think they're too heavy duty and really take away from the lifting capacity. Sometimes with the loader bucket on it has a hard time lifting dirt if it's heaped up too high.

Definitely a spot I wish I could improve, but I suspect there are reasons why it is the way it is. Overall, I find ways to get around it.

The only cost so far to me has been having to rent a forklift to remove a steel building from a truck because I didn't think my L3400 would have the balls to do it.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
This is the forks that the dealer sold me for pallet forks. They work great , quick connect, adjustable.Not sure the weight-possibly 250-300 lbs. Made in china of course.

Attachments

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
LA352 could use a little more grunt, but for the small size of my machine, it is what it is.

I can drive right into a pile of topsoil, gravel, sand and it will curl and lift a heaping bucket without trouble. Moved 8' Norway Spruces in burlap to there new homes. Drove over 4 tons of wood pellets to basement door. Drove 480# gun safe to basement door. Lifted porch roof trusses so I didnt have to. Moved my 300# toolbox from one service van to another. Makes putting my mmm on soo much easier.

More fun to use than a bottle jack too...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is the forks that the dealer sold me for pallet forks. They work great , quick connect, adjustable.Not sure the weight-possibly 250-300 lbs. Made in china of course.
Those are 2000lbs cap. forks. ;)