BX hazard lights coming on automatically

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
Hello all,

I just had a new issue crop up on my new BX25D. I came home from work this evening to find that the hazard lights were on. I checked the switch and found that the switch was off. Tried to manipulate all of the switches and start it to get it to go off to no avail. While I was inside the house getting a wrench to disconnect the battery the lights went off.

All is well I thought, but then my neighbor calls me an hour later to let me know that the lights are blinking again...now the battery is disconnected.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm not sure if there is a short in the system or if it is a bad switch. I did read one of the old posts about the switch not working and that it could possibly be water or dust getting into the switch. I'm not sure if that will cause the switch to come on as well, but if that's the case I need to get a cover PDQ for the rig. I just want to find out what can be done to keep this from happening again.

Unfortunately I don't have a spot in the garage to park the tractor as of yet, so it does sit outside in the elements if that helps to diagnose the issue.

Thanks for the help.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Mine sits out in the rain and that switch is garbage. I have the opposite issue...mine won't turn on if you flip the switch the whole way...I have a small wood shim I jam under the switch to keep it at the 7/8 mark. Maybe this winter I will pull the whole thing out, install a blank piece of black plastic and install a series of waterproof toggle switches.

-Mac

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Most likely the switch, if it is new, or newer get the dealer to R&R it, if not, it's pretty simple stuff. On my older BX each switch is separate. Thet come apart by releasing tabs on the side of the switch body. You can pull the switch apart from underneath, slowly, don't tip any parts out when you pull the bottom half out. The remainder of the switch body can be pulled up out of the dash. Disassemble the rocker and contacts, clean everything and reassemble.
BIG FYI .. the point that slides back and fwd on the rocker is pushed on and will fall off at some time during the R&R, it simply pushes on and off .. DONT LOOSE IT!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Those switches are a definite problem if they get wet. I've had the same thing as you experienced. Look out in the barn and lights are flashing.

Finally, I popped out the switches and disconnected them from the harness. Simple.

Since the BX doesn't leave the property and is not used at night, the switches aren't needed. If they every were, it is easy to pop out the bank of switches and plug them back in temporarily.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Finally, I popped out the switches and disconnected them from the harness. Simple.

Since the BX doesn't leave the property and is not used at night, the switches aren't needed.
+1

Also there is a "flasher unit/relay" that could be acting up - but I would put my money on a bad switch.

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did call the dealer and they said they had a few others with the same problem. They have one on order and will send someone out when it gets in. Guess I will have to either do as GWD says or get a cover to keep the rain off it.

Vtdigger

Equipment
Bx25d,backhoe,York rake,box scraper
Oct 21, 2016
Milton,VT,
Yep, the rain gets into the switch. I have a canvas tarp over the seat and steering and that keeps the rain off the dash. I have ordered a portable garage to keep the tractor in.

tdubya

Equipment
bx25d
Dec 11, 2017
laporte indiana
My hazards stopped working, left in rain more than usual, sprayed switch with wd40 and blew out with air. Problem solved. Switch is easy to pop out of dash