D950 Injection Pump

backyardmachanic

Equipment
kubota D950 3 cyl.
Oct 18, 2016
virginia beach virginia
I have a 3 cyl.D950 kubuto motor..it has sat for over a year..It ran great prior to it setting...It would not start so i started with the basics .. I pulled the injectors and they were bound and dirty ..so i sent them off to a rebuild shop to insure injectors are good...I took the injector lines off the injection pump and removed the 3 bolts that the injector line screw to on top of the pump ...under the bolts there is a spring a washer and what looks like a pin with grooves in it...nothing was dirty or froze up so i put it back together...got injectors back ..put it back together and it would not start...so i took a injector out and hooked it up to the injector line and turned the motor over and no spray came out of injector ..i took off injector line to pump and crack the bolt to the pump and turned motor over and some fuel came squirting out so i opened bolt more and fuel came out about 6 in. hooked injector back up turned motor over and no fuel came out of injector... Can someone tell me are those bolts that control the fuel flow .have a certain setting and if so what would the setting be or is something inside the top of the pump not making enough pressure to pop the injectors ..Thanks for any input..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you hooks up the injectors, did you bleed the air out of the lines?
If not then there is your problem! ;)

Don't mess with the 2 bolts as they are set at the factory and you can very easily damage a motor adjusting those wrong.

Is the Injection pump getting fuel to it?

Last edited:

backyardmachanic

Equipment
kubota D950 3 cyl.
Oct 18, 2016
virginia beach virginia
wolfman...i did bleed injector lines ..but i also took the bolts off to see if any thing was stuck nothing was...so i put it back together...did not know at the time those controlled the amount of fuel ...motor has not run yet..my question is what are the proper settings for these bolts..or where do i find what the factory settings are ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will have to find the exact set up procedure for both:

The front screw is maximum fuel level screw, it will need to be adjusted when it's running to set it, it should be set for light to no smoke on max rpm.

The rear screw is low idle.

Neither screw will stop it from putting fuel out.

With the injector lines off, throttle set to max, fuel stop not engaged, crank engine and fuel should fountain out of each Injection pump outlet.

backyardmachanic

Equipment
kubota D950 3 cyl.
Oct 18, 2016
virginia beach virginia
wolfman the engine is a 3 cyl. with all 3 of the bolts closed no fuel comes out of any of the bolts ..if you crack each one then fuel will start to come out ..the more you open them the more fuel comes out...facing the water pump fan the pump is on my left ..is the front bolt no# 1..if so hat would be max . fuel bolt and the back one would be no#3 the idle bolt ..what is no#2 bolt ..for example do i open no#1 a 1/3 a turn for max. fuel ( i understand engine will have to be running to set this one proper)...and no#2 a 1/2 a turn (not sure what this one is for )...and no#3 a 1/8 of a turn for idle..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
wolfman the engine is a 3 cyl. with all 3 of the bolts closed no fuel comes out of any of the bolts ..if you crack each one then fuel will start to come out ..the more you open them the more fuel comes out...facing the water pump fan the pump is on my left ..is the front bolt no# 1..if so hat would be max . fuel bolt and the back one would be no#3 the idle bolt ..what is no#2 bolt ..for example do i open no#1 a 1/3 a turn for max. fuel ( i understand engine will have to be running to set this one proper)...and no#2 a 1/2 a turn (not sure what this one is for )...and no#3 a 1/8 of a turn for idle..
I've very familiar with the D950's, I've rebuilt enough of them.
OK, what you are calling the "bolts" are not bolts they are delivery valves holders, and they are not "adjustable" they are just tight.
When you removed the Delivery valve holders did you make 100% sure that you put all the parts back in right?
You have something going wrong with either the pump or the linkage going on that not engaging the rack, was the pump or any linkage removed at any point?
How far did you pull the pump apart? Name #'s.

Attachments

backyardmachanic

Equipment
kubota D950 3 cyl.
Oct 18, 2016
virginia beach virginia
wolfman sorry for so many posts ..i am not very good with computers ..i have never taken the pump apart..i only unscrewed the fuel outlets ..i saw a spring a copper washer and a tip ..did not go any farther then that..nothing was stuck so i put it back just the way it came apart..when i screwed the fuel outlet back into the top of the pump i only snugged it tight ...then i turned the motor over and no fuel would come out ..none of the three ..but when i backed the fuel outlet off just a hair ..fuel would come out.. the more i backed the outlet screw off the more fuel would pump out..up to 8 in high..maybe the inside of pump went bad from sitting so long ..maybe pump can`t build up pressure any more..the motor ran fine before it sat..One thing i did notice ..when the fuel was pumping out ..i would put my thumb over the outlet and was able to stop the fuel ..were do i go from here ??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't mind the posts, that's why I'm on here.

Ok let me see if I can explain whats going on.
When you loosen the valve holders on the top you are essentially doing the same thing as when the rack moves, so the more you loosen the more fuel comes out.
Now what happen when you put your finger over the port and block it, (Please don't EVER do that again as it can kill you if the pump works right) is that you are forcing the fuel to go down and around the inside of the pump and into the oil, so no it won't build pressure.

Now tighten the delivery valves closed (good snug tight is fine), then pull the cover off the side of the block right under the injection pump.
Inside you will find the linkage to the rack you need to find out if it moves.

Last edited:

Tractor In a Boat

Equipment
Kubota D850
Mar 21, 2021
New Zealand
I've very familiar with the D950's, I've rebuilt enough of them.
OK, what you are calling the "bolts" are not bolts they are delivery valves holders, and they are not "adjustable" they are just tight.
When you removed the Delivery valve holders did you make 100% sure that you put all the parts back in right?
You have something going wrong with either the pump or the linkage going on that not engaging the rack, was the pump or any linkage removed at any point?
How far did you pull the pump apart? Name #'s.
Hi Wolfman,

I can see you are very knowledge on the kubota engines. I‘ve just posted a problem here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/d850-injector-pump-mistake.50441/

As I understand the d850 and d950 injector pumps are the same. Looking at your diagram above I’ve removed parts 3,4,5,6,7 and reinstalled in the same way they were removed. I only did this as a small paint flake fell into the pump when removing part 7 (which I later realised I didn’t need to take out as the glow plug removal only required me to remove the fuel lines) and not the pump injector fitting (part 7).

so my problem now is that I’ve lost a paint flake inside the pump and I do t want to risk it being sucked up and blocking the injectors.

what would be the best way to get the paint flake out?

also will removing and reinstalling the pump or any of the components I removed cause issues with the timing?

thanks
Rob with a Kubota in a boat!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had some problems with the fuel delivery recently also on a D950 engine. I ended up replacing the fuel pump with a Chinese unit bought online. I was also screwing around with the injectors a bit but read to tread lightly thank goodness. Good luck.