BX 1870 Tachometer

whalencj

Equipment
BX 1870
Jul 5, 2016
Porter, Texas
I have a BX 1870 with about 40 hrs on it.
When I start it, Tachometer needle bounces all the way right then to zero and stays there. While engine is running, tachometer still reads zero.
Any suggestions?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Are you sure that is a tachometer???? On my BX it is the fuel gauge. It always does that to allow for changes in level, as for filling when turned off. The tack is the digital readout when running. When stopped it is the hours on the machine.

If it always is at zero, the fuel level measuring unit in the tank may be faulty, or you may have some bad connections.

Good luck.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
On my 1870-1, the tachometer is analog. Temp, fuel and hours are digital.

If the needle says zero when the engine is running, it's not functioning. Are you still under warranty? If so, let the dealer sort it out. If not, it is time to start trouble shooting.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
On my 1870-1, the tachometer is analog. Temp, fuel and hours are digital.

If the needle says zero when the engine is running, it's not functioning. Are you still under warranty? If so, let the dealer sort it out. If not, it is time to start trouble shooting.
Tach is analog in movement but it is controlled by electrical signal. Does the charge lamp go out when engine is started? Just a couple of easy checks before calling dealer - Check the connector under the dash panel (terminal T4 is for tach) to be sure it or wire is not loose. The IC regulator in the alternator sends the tach signal to meter. Make sure the connections at the alternator are not loose.

Not much else to say - if wiring not loose, then most likely Tachometer itself is bad.

whalencj

Equipment
BX 1870
Jul 5, 2016
Porter, Texas
Well, I solved the tachometer mystery!!
Kind of by accident.
Turns out, the power source for tach runs through (shared by)fuel pump wires.

I was doing the BX1870 fuel filter modification project and noticed some frayed exposed wires just outside the protective tube near fuel pump wire connector.
I rewired connector wires and taped them up real good. Put new protection covers over wires and connector plug. tucked it up under frame out of harms way. Tachometer back in action! Fuel filter modification works great too!!!

whalencj

Equipment
BX 1870
Jul 5, 2016
Porter, Texas
I used a filter from a larger model tractor. I think its from a BX25D.
I mounted it on bucket bracket and made a removable guard for it.
Totally re-ran fuel lines and put heavy duty protective looms on them. Made them all one color so I could id them if needed.
I removed the bucket bracket so I could drill and tap it on(drill press) milling machine. Much easier than doing it all with hand drill while mounted on tractor.
Picture below in not my actual tractor, but the picture I used as sample. I painted my bracket "Royal" Blue! (Kansas City Native, Forever Royal!!!)

Attachments

Last edited: