I hate my new L3901

EZstreet

Equipment
L3901 HST
Sep 16, 2016
East Tennessee
I don't mean to thread crap but I have a question regarding regen. I bought my L3901 in Oct of 2016 and I now have 19.6 hours on it. I have yet to experience a regen (that I know of). About 80-90 percent of the work has been at high RPM using rotary cutter. Is this normal for going 20 hours without one? Will I know for sure when it's happening as mowing in bright sun I am unable to see the indicator lights. The only thing I have noticed - when mowing yesterday it was about 92 degrees and I did notice a very funny smell. Temp gauge was fine right in the middle. Will I see black smoke or anything coming from exhaust or something like that?

Thank,
EZ

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If it wasn't for the two lights on the dash that you normally see when I regen starts, you won't know it is happening. If you already had the engine at higher RPMs, then there would only be one light. And it does make the exhaust smell a little different then normal.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
OK,
that makes sense... I didn't think my BX23 had anything on it.....

BTW,
As a truck driver I have been dealing with this EPA stuff for a few years now...
sounds like Kubota is using older technology ... the newer systems use DEF fluid. which is another hassle... and cost.

these entire systems are a huge cost.... If I'm not mistaken, they can only regenerate for so many times.... before the element gets clogged and needs replacement. $$$$$$

A few years? More like a decade now almost! Tractors aren't held to the same standards as over the road trucks which must meet standards via EGR, DPF and selective catalytic reduction (uses the DEF).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't mean to thread crap but I have a question regarding regen. I bought my L3901 in Oct of 2016 and I now have 19.6 hours on it. I have yet to experience a regen (that I know of). About 80-90 percent of the work has been at high RPM using rotary cutter. Is this normal for going 20 hours without one? Will I know for sure when it's happening as mowing in bright sun I am unable to see the indicator lights. The only thing I have noticed - when mowing yesterday it was about 92 degrees and I did notice a very funny smell. Temp gauge was fine right in the middle. Will I see black smoke or anything coming from exhaust or something like that?

Thank,
EZ

Normal. At higher RPM and load, there is some heat generated. The heat is what "burns" off the soot, thus the DPF stays relatively clean and doesn't need a regen as often as a tractor that is used at low speeds and high loads. No, you won't see any black smoke. The black smoke is the soot, which is what the DPF "catches"-and later burns off during a regeneration cycle. You'll know it's doing a regen when the light is on in the dash. If you see it come on and no other lights, just continue what you're doing until the light goes off which can be anywhere from 3-25 minutes depending on the amount of soot in the DPF.

Medicr224

Equipment
L3901
Jun 20, 2017
Indiana
My new L3901 did not regen until 28.5 hrs the dealer had told me as others have posted if you are working the tractor at higher RPMs like mowing then you should expect to regen about every 25-30 hrs depending of work load and outside temp as when it is colder out it takes more to get the temp up in system to burn off soot. If the lights come on and it starts beeping it is time to park it and follow directions in owners manual. Basically stop tractor and set parking brake and reduce RPMs and let the tractor do regen.

PS: I LOVE MY L3901

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have had my L3560HSTC for 3 years now and have just turned 300 hrs. I just had my 4th regen. Sometimes I work it hard and sometimes it's an easy days use. The thing is to keep the screen on the DPF status and when it gets close to time pay close attention and when it hits 100% take it out of auto-throttle and increase the RPM's until the regen. light stops flashing and the regen takes effect. I continue to use the tractor during this process and when it is over, I lower the rpm's and turn on the auto-throttle again and continue working. I have had no problem and don't expect to. Like Sheepfarmer said, don't let it idle, just turn it off when you get off the tractor to do something, and start it up again when you get back on. Idling is a killer!

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
The OP hasn't come back since the thread was started.

Meanwhile, my 3901 is still working perfect....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
300 hrs in 3 years and only 4 regen's I must be doing something right and someone is doing something wrong.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Remember, always use an ULSD, ultra low sulfur diesel, fuel,

And it should have some biodiesel in it, to help lubricity...
Not much is needed, 2%, is enough...

Harley Monster

Equipment
L47 Backhoe,Loader, Forks, Top&Tilt, scraper box, rake
May 9, 2011
Temecula, CA
I have a year old L47 also and the regen is no big deal. The harder you run the tractor the more time between regens, don't let the tractor idle unless you have to. Kubota says there engines are designed to run continually at full throttle, you don't have to do that, but keep your RPM's on the high side. You can use the tractor while it is in regen.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
A couple things I read here that went unanswered, so I will comment.

Yes Canada has the same emission requirements. That's why I bought a small 26 h.p. B2620.

Diesel's that use DEF fluid still require regens.

While we are currently only running 2 SCR class 8 trucks, I am friends with the owner of a big lumber hauling fleet. They gross 140,000 pounds pulling B-trains. They were having their DPF's cleaned by the dealer with one of those baking machines, but their experience has shown you only get about 60% life back out the DPF versus replacing with a new one. So you have to weigh your costs there.

Our 2012 Cummins ISX 600 just had to have the DPF and SCR catalysts replaced. It has just over 300,000 KM on it. Cost for the catalysts (exhaust filters) was $8600. So by the time labor and NOX sensors were added, that was a $13,000 job.

Meanwhile we just did both catalysts in our newer DD15 Detroit and they are only $1600 for both???? Why one brand can be so much cheaper than another I have no idea.

Harley Monster

Equipment
May 9, 2011
Temecula, CA
ItBmine and others,

My L47 with the Final Phase Four engine does not use DEF Fluid. The computer keeps track of how the engine is being used and schedules the regen accordingly. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is once regen has begun DO NOT SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN, let it complete the regen. If you shut the engine down during regen, the dealer has to come out and reset which will cost you.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
ItBmine and others,

My L47 with the Final Phase Four engine does not use DEF Fluid. The computer keeps track of how the engine is being used and schedules the regen accordingly. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is once regen has begun DO NOT SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN, let it complete the regen. If you shut the engine down during regen, the dealer has to come out and reset which will cost you.

You can shut the engine off during Re-Gen without harm. When it is restarted later it will continue just as soon as the engine temp rises above 140 degrees IIRC.

Harley Monster

Equipment
May 9, 2011
Temecula, CA
@ Whitetiger If that is true, it would be good to know. I don't worry about my operation of the tractor, but I worry my help may not follow the procedure correctly.

My dealer is the one who told me if I shut the engine down during regen it takes a service call to clear it. He really emphasized that.

I would like to know if what you say applies to my specific model, I don't want to risk a service call just to find out.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The ReGen cycle should not be interrupted, if the unit is shut off during the cycle it is programmed to continue once restarted.

No one can say that at any given time a bug could occur and render the unit as no start or needs connected to Diagmaster to reset or perform a forced ReGen. Each unit is unique and has its own personality.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The way I understand it, at least for the L3560s, is that it might depend on what level you are at when you shut it down. You have so many minutes to complete an auto regen, for example, before it will demand a parked regen (1800 sec). If you use up some of those minutes warming up the tractor when you restart it, you could end up in a level 4 I suppose, and therefore needing the dealer. This is embedded in the software, so no telling what the exact numbers are in other models and other levels. The 1800 sec is in the wsm for the 60 series, and I asked Kubota what they were driving at, and this was my understanding.

There have been several people who have mentioned shutting off their tractor mid regen. Some had troubles and others not. It is not a red hot idea for most users in my opinion.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
A couple things I read here that went unanswered, so I will comment.

Yes Canada has the same emission requirements. That's why I bought a small 26 h.p. B2620.

Diesel's that use DEF fluid still require regens.

While we are currently only running 2 SCR class 8 trucks, I am friends with the owner of a big lumber hauling fleet. They gross 140,000 pounds pulling B-trains. They were having their DPF's cleaned by the dealer with one of those baking machines, but their experience has shown you only get about 60% life back out the DPF versus replacing with a new one. So you have to weigh your costs there.

Our 2012 Cummins ISX 600 just had to have the DPF and SCR catalysts replaced. It has just over 300,000 KM on it. Cost for the catalysts (exhaust filters) was $8600. So by the time labor and NOX sensors were added, that was a $13,000 job.

Meanwhile we just did both catalysts in our newer DD15 Detroit and they are only $1600 for both???? Why one brand can be so much cheaper than another I have no idea.

You mention catalyst and in parenthesis you say exhaust filters. The DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst) is just one of four sections in a cummins particulate filter, the DPF is another section. Perhaps you replaced just the catalysts in the detroits but the entire filter on the cummins?