Leaking fuel cans

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Can anyone recommend a fuel can for filling my BX. I don't use enough to use a barrel with a pump. I'm presently using one of those yellow 5 gallon plastic jobs you buy at the farm store. If you put it on the rim of the tank and push to release the fuel it leaks all over the fender and wheel. New gaskets didn't help. I bought a kit to replace the spout that didn't require you pushing and it still leaks. I just filled it today and probably leaked a pint. Do I just have a bad one or do they all do that?. I am frustrated with it/ I make a mess every time no matter what.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a couple 'Justrite' fuel cans I carry in the truck for field emergencies. They don't leak at all. I just stencilled 'Diesel' on each one (made for gas).

Interesting, I have one of those push the button fuel cans for the lawnmowers and it's never leaked at all. Just don't like the gurgle-gurgle fill rate. Guess we can thank the EPA for another stupid idea.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I use a battery-operated pump that fits the fuel can. Had a cheap one that used 2 D-cells for a while, but it died after a year. Bought a more expensive one that runs on 4 AA cells and it seems to be holding up fine. Works great, no leaks, no spills.

Also works for filling the boat, lawn tractor, small engines, etc. etc.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use a battery-operated pump that fits the fuel can. Had a cheap one that used 2 D-cells for a while, but it died after a year. Bought a more expensive one that runs on 4 AA cells and it seems to be holding up fine. Works great, no leaks, no spills.

Also works for filling the boat, lawn tractor, small engines, etc. etc.
I take it you also have the 'gurgle-gurgle' cans in Ontario. I thought that was a Federal EPA thing.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I take it you also have the 'gurgle-gurgle' cans in Ontario. I thought that was a Federal EPA thing.
Last I checked it was CARB not the EPA.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Surecan or Nospill would be my recommendations.

I use the 1.25 No-spill and it is easy to handle. On my tractor it will sit on the hood and drain into the fuel tank so I don’t have to hold it up. My tractor uses little fuel so the size is good for me.

Only problem is that it is red for gasoline but I am the only one that uses the tractor and can so I am just sure to put diesel in it. I guess I should mark it or paint it yellow but I generally just empty it out every time so it is not really much danger of being put into wrong tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I got a pair of these just for the tractor. Yellow for diesel. No leak, external vent and fast filling. Just like the pre-CARB days but better engineered.

YP Racing yellow.jpg

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I'm not a high volume fuel user either. I use old (clean) hyd. oil pails with a squeeze type manual siphon. Under $10 all over eBay..... and the batteries never go dead.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Do I just have a bad one or do they all do that?

If it is a No Spill should not leak, must be bad. We have six No Spill push button cans that have never leaked. They are for sure air tight. Matter of fact I like them for filling lawn mowers, string trimmers, chain saws and such, there is no spill and easy to control to stop. Five gallon yellow one for tractor works fine just takes a little time to get five gallons in tank.

I assume the gasket in the part where it screws onto the can is good. New/replacement cap should be, but you never know.

GD

Last edited:

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
Hand siphon pump for me. I just leave the can seat on tailgate of the truck and siphon into tractor takes 3-4 minutes maybe.

I just think that on the BX tractors the fuel cap is in a bad spot you got the grab handle in your way too. Especially if your trying to use one of them stupid new style cans

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I seek out the old style gas cans at garage sales. I have a bunch of them now. The EPA and the UN can shove it.:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I seek out the old style gas cans at garage sales. I have a bunch of them now. The EPA and the UN can shove it.:)
I do the same, problem is, everyone has the same idea as we do. One of the more foolish mandates the government came up with and it put Blitz Manufacturing out of business too.

Still have 2 Blitz cans. getting a bit old but hard to beat.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I feel your pain....only our government can screw up something as simple as a fuel can. Google "gas can spout", you can buy an old school spout and add a vent. Works just like the old cans.

JG