Help ! Put gas in tank.

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
Pulled a real FNG move. L2501, 10 gal tank. Topped it off prior to mowing. Ends up added about 4 gals of gas to about 6 gals of diesel. Put 0.3 hours on it before Einstein figured out engine was losing about 200 rpm and a small amount of smoke. Parked it and have drained tank at inlet of fuel filter. Will now change filter and let out anything else gravity wants to take.

Anything else I should do before filling tank and bleeding the system per owners manual ?? I searched on here and did not come up with anything else except maybe draining lines at the injectors. Thanks.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I run into this several times a year, it happens to a lot of people. Change the filter, fill your tank with fresh fuel and start it up. Let it idle for a couple of minutes and go on mowing. The remaining fuel in the pump, tubes and injectors is so minimal that what is returned to the tank will be quickly diluted.

If it will not restart, loosen the fuel tubes to the injectors in the cylinder head. Only loosen them at the injector, never at the injection pump. Loosen 1 to 1/2 turns. This will flush the contaminated fuel and any air out. Crank the engine for approximately 10 seconds, then let the starter cool for 2 minutes.

Perform this cycle 3 or 4 times, tighten the fuel pipes and start it up.

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
Thanks. I replaced the filter and filled tank and managed to put diesel in it !!! Bled the line with the valve at the fuel injector, started and let it run for 30 sec then turned off and closed air valve. Started right up again then after about 2 minutes stammers, coughs etc. then dies. I figure, well 150 hours on this one is enough so better tell the wife time to buy a new one ! I did short cranks on it about 10 times but it just wouldn't quite catch. On the last time the ole girl spit out some black smoke and started to run. Now I am just letting it idle for a while after having it back up to PTO speed a few times. I guess I lucked out. Good to feel like a complete moron every once in a while. Thanks for your response, it was reassuring.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I got a pair of these just for the tractor. Yellow for diesel.

YP Racing yellow.jpg

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
This gets mentioned so often, I have formed an eternal fear and instinctively stop when I reach for the fuel cap on my diesel vehicles. DIESEL ONLY !!! Maybe , just maybe I'll never make that mistake.