Off-road diesel?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I used to use off road fuel, but soon realized for my consumption rate going the distance I needed to to get it, I was spending in gas close to what I was saving in tax, when getting 20 gallons at a time. Not to mention time...

I now get my diesel at the local Sam’s club. 5 minutes away. Clean and fresh. All things considered with tax included it is probably cheaper in my case.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I used to use off road fuel, but soon realized for my consumption rate going the distance I needed to to get it, I was spending in gas close to what I was saving in tax, when getting 20 gallons at a time. Not to mention time...

I now get my diesel at the local Sam***8217;s club. 5 minutes away. Clean and fresh. All things considered with tax included it is probably cheaper in my case.
As a rule, I get mine delivered to the farm. I have an above ground storage tank with a pump on it and I tend to use it but like anything else, I pay for delivery. My advantage is the local gas station in town has off road at the pump so I keep my 5 gallon jugs filled too. Unlike the smaller tractors that fill though the hood port, mine both fill from the side, the cab tractor fills under the step and the OS tractor fills from the back, both easy to hit and no dribbles either.

A typical farm day will see me drop 50 or 60 gallons in the tractors.

I have a Kroger World mastercard and groceries substantially offset fuel cost so when we rack up points we get fuel at Kroger. Saving 50-60 cents a gallon (diesel or gas) is substantial for us. Even beats the off road price. So, I'm a fuel whore. Wherever it's cheaper is where I go.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma

I now get my diesel at the local Sam’s club. 5 minutes away. Clean and fresh. All things considered with tax included it is probably cheaper in my case.

Good thinking. Always amazed at people I know driving across town to save 3 cents on fuel or a quarter on some bread.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess I'm just lucky, same distance for any fuel, all at the same place.

I buy about 100 Gallons of Non ethanol gasoline and 300 gallons of Off road diesel at a time, it's just easier for what I do.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Off road and road diesel are identical. Off-road is dyed red. Why? So when the weigh boys pull a fuel sample from a rig and it's red, they know that the driver evaded paying fuel tax. Now with Tier 4 tractors, they require ULSD, so dyed and road diesels are the same except the tax.

Dyed is supposed to allow farmers to avoid having to pay extra for road diesel tax.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
What's interesting is that there is no "off-road gas." For example, if you ran an old Ford 8N, or taking things a step further, a brand new (gas) pickup truck that never left the farm. Why should you pay road use tax if you don't use the road? The fact is there is a form you can fill out and submit for a gasoline tax rebate on all gas you bought not for road use...but I'd be willing to bet that would attract attention.

I run off road diesel in my tractors. I only burn about 20-25 gallons a day when my two machines are in use, and I have a transfer tank and electric pump in my dually pickup so I can bring the fuel right to the field. We have several normal gas stations in my area that sell off-road right at the pump for about $0.40 less per gallon. Only downside is that they don't have the high-flow trucker nozzles on the off-road pumps, so it takes awhile if you want 60 gallons or so.