New turf tires for the kubota L2501 almost ends in disaster.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Hey guys I am back and I wanted to share a scary situation I was in yesterday.
I went down to Barbourville to pick up a set of new Old Stock turf tires for my kubota L2501. They originally were takeoffs from a L3400.
I paid $550 for the set of 4 complete with rims.

Anyway here is the scary encounter.

Dashcam Front view.
https://youtu.be/SID5LhPptDg

Dashcam Rear view.
https://youtu.be/ShcLUBBOYu4

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Guy got a bit squirrely.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You folks have some narrow roads! At first I thought you were driving down someones driveway. Fortanutely you didn't go off the road.

Question.....Why did you not have the loader down on the tires? Leaving it up like in the video is asking for trouble. And the bucket/loader should have been secured to the trailer. You got a deal, but it could have ended bad.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
You folks have some narrow roads! At first I thought you were driving down someones driveway. Fortanutely you didn't go off the road.

Question.....Why did you not have the loader down on the tires? Leaving it up like in the video is asking for trouble. And the bucket/loader should have been secured to the trailer. You got a deal, but it could have ended bad.
First thing it thought also.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Ditto on the FEL....why the @!#$% do you have it way up in the air???

Appears to be a one lane bridge on a one & half lane road.....Miata not paying attention & going too fast for conditions.

Lesson learned, hopefully. Assuming no serious injury?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Guy got a bit squirrely.
I would have gotten just as squirrely if a truck and trailer was taking the entire road too, where was he supposed to go?

Must be that southern engineering at work, they only want smart cars to run their roads! :rolleyes:

We have narrow roads but nothing like that if 2 semis hauling logs can't pass each other it's not wide enough, granted they might debark the trees when they pass. :p

Yea I agree with D2Cat, up here hauling an unsecured load (Loader not tied down) like that would give you a heavy fine, $2k range. :eek:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I would have gotten just as squirrely if a truck and trailer was taking the entire road too, where was he supposed to go?

Must be that southern engineering at work, they only want smart cars to run their roads! :rolleyes:
Oh I don't know, how about not into the guardrail?
That dude in the Miata was trying to hit the apex of that curve like he was a race car driver. He is way wide (tires are at or outside of his white line) when he starts to make his turn, so he can hit the inside of the curve tight. Once he's committed, he then realizes a truck is coming around the blind curve, then over corrects and loses it.

Both were lucky either way I suppose.

And yeah, strap the loader down! WTH

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky

I had the loader raised in the air because I had forks on that were too long to lower to the deck without hitting the tow vehicle.

I usually take the forks off which allows me to lower the loader to the deck but I forgot to remove the forks before I loaded the tractor and didn’t realize I left the forks on until I already had the tractor loaded and chained down.

I should of un-chained the tractor and backed it off the trailer, removed the forks and loaded and chained the tractor back down.

Sine I live in Kentucky and there is no law that required me to tie down the loader I rolled with it but I should of took the extra time to do it right.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky

We have narrow roads but nothing like that if 2 semis hauling logs can't pass each other it's not wide enough, granted they might debark the trees when they pass. :p

Yea I agree with D2Cat, up here hauling an unsecured load (Loader not tied down) like that would give you a heavy fine, $2k range. :eek:
Ideally he should of slowed his vehicle down and waited until I exited the one lane bridge since I had the right of way.
He could of safely done that if he wasn’t speeding and lost control of his vehicle.

He panicked when he seen me already on the one lane bridge and realized we both weren’t going to fit on the one lane bridge he then went far right unit his tires fell off the road into the ditch and then panicked even more over correcting and lost control of the vehicle sliding directly into my lane, when he seen I was about to hit him he panicked even more and again over corrected and went straight into the guardrail.

The direction he was traveling he had a blind curve followed by a one lane bridge and he should of been going no faster than 20mph to safely navigate the blind curve and make sure nobody was already on the one lane bridge.

Even at the speed he was going he could of safely made it if he would not of lost control of the vehicle. It would of been a tight fit and maybe we would of sideswiped each other but that would of been better than running straight into the guardrail.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Ditto on the FEL....why the @!#$% do you have it way up in the air???

Appears to be a one lane bridge on a one & half lane road.....Miata not paying attention & going too fast for conditions.

Lesson learned, hopefully. Assuming no serious injury?
You are correct it was originally a one lane road that was widened about 10 years ago to make a 1 1/2 lane road but none of the bridges were updated leaving a road with nothing but one lane bridges.

No serious injuries. Just minor road rash on the arms of the male from the airbag and minor road rash on the face of the female from the airbags.

One thing that stood out to me was a statement the male made to the female after the accident.

He stated “I am sorry, I could of killed you today”.
This statement makes me believe he was hauling ass in his sports car down that VERY bad road trying to impress his girlfriend.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I don't see the problem. 1 1/2 lane road, 1 and 1/2 vehicles ... plenty of room :D

(I'm allowed to make Miata jokes, I own one)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Two things you can do when you have a bucket / loader Implement that is too long to fit the trailer, drop the bucket/implement on the deck and spin it around and place it under the front of the tractor, (I've went as far as to position it so I could drive the front tires into the bucket, then load with the loader arms over it, or in it.

Good to hear they both made it out alive and besides a few rash burns basicly unharmed!

I had something similar happen yesterday, was going to get a tractor with my 20 footer, pulled out on to the main road off our side road, stopped at the R/R tracks, started going forward, the road turns a sharp 90 to the right, when through the tree's I could see a semi clipping along way too fast, well he cut the corner doing a race car turn, it it wasn't for the fact that the inside of the curve was a flat slope I would have been toast, I whipped the truck off the road and stomped on the accelerator to move like now, then when clear of the semi, and 3/4 of the truck and trailer now off the road, stomped on the brake, threw it in park, jumped out of the truck, the semi now skidded up to the stop sign at the R/R tracks.
I think that the 20 some year old punk driving thought I was going to kill him...Well he wasn't wrong! :mad:
After some choice words, I gave up and thought it's too bad that you just can't beat good sense into stupid drivers! :p :rolleyes:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Why would anyone trailer with a loader raised up anyway? That is just plain insane stupid.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Only time anyone would haul a tractor on a highway with the loader raised up, I think, would either be in such a hurry to not consider the possible problem, or just confident gravity is on vacation on that particular day!!

Either one is extremely dangerous, and possibly extremely expensive.:D:D

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Only time anyone would haul a tractor on a highway with the loader raised up, I think, would either be in such a hurry to not consider the possible problem, or just confident gravity is on vacation on that particular day!!

Either one is extremely dangerous, and possibly extremely expensive.:D:D
Can it cause damage to the loader?
Can you please tell me the reason behind this?

I don’t understand.

What could possibly happen?
The loader can detach from the tractor?

What could happen in a worst case scenario?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
You effectively raised the center of gravity. If it was you that had to swerve out of the way you could have turned the trailer over. It doesn't take that much.
Hopefully you will never find out.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Wow!! Tough crowd. I think OP would have learned just as much WITHOUT all the negativity. Yes he was wrong in towing with the FEL up; why beat him up for this mistake. Pointing out the error is exactly what should have occurred but tone it down a bit.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Sparky45, the OP is just fortunate. He has cameras, front and back, viewing his driving and post the link on the internet for all to view. If there had been a major injury or death in that situation, those cameras would be the OP's downfall. It shows how his load was on the trailer, he stated on the internet why his loader was up and just didn't think about it until tractor was loaded, then show driving in the center of the road. An attorney would have fun with all that information.

Maybe there is a lesson here for others who come to the internet. Kind of like when your dad whipped your butt and said, "This hurts me more that it hurts you!"

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Sparky45, the OP is just fortunate. He has cameras, front and back, viewing his driving and post the link on the internet for all to view. If there had been a major injury or death in that situation, those cameras would be the OP's downfall. It shows how his load was on the trailer, he stated on the internet why his loader was up and just didn't think about it until tractor was loaded, then show driving in the center of the road. An attorney would have fun with all that information.

Maybe there is a lesson here for others who come to the internet. Kind of like when your dad whipped your butt and said, "This hurts me more that it hurts you!"
I had the right of way (I was already positioned on the one way bridge before the other car got close to the bridge) and was traveling down the center of the one lane bridge (one lane bridge, not a 2 lane bridge) going well below the speed limit.
Nothing illegal or wrong with that.

The other speeding vehicle lost control of his vehicle before I even got close to him. He was unable to keep control of his vehicle and slid into my lane of travel.
Luckily for him he got out of my out of my lane and I was able to go around the out of control vehicle.

If he would of not been able to control his vehicle and I hit him he would of been 100% at fault and my lawyer would of chewed his lawyer a new ass.

What does any of this have to do with the way my trailer was loaded? How did the load on my trailer effect this situation?

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Wow!! Tough crowd. I think OP would have learned just as much WITHOUT all the negativity. Yes he was wrong in towing with the FEL up; why beat him up for this mistake. Pointing out the error is exactly what should have occurred but tone it down a bit.
We have some pretty good trolls on this forum:eek: