Has anyone gone to foam-filled front tires on a BX?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Nitrogen fill is a straight up scam in my opinion.

1) Air is already 78% nitrogen
2) You will always have some other gases in the tire in addition to nitrogen unless you can completely purge the tire first
3) Nitrogen still expands when heated anyways
4) Unless you are running the Indy 500 or similar, there are no cost/mileage/longevity benefits
5) The amount of "regular air" molecules that can migrate through rubber tires is minuscule compared to the what you are more likely to lose at the bead or valve, and using nitrogen is no replacement for "first parade" or other routine monitoring and maintenance.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My only experience with foam filled front tires is observing my neighbor up north. After selling me his Kubota, he decided he needed another tractor and bought a JD. When he got it, there was cord showing all the way around his foam filled front tires. He used it that way for 3 or 4 years, with cords flapping all over on both fronts. We finally shamed him into getting new tires, NOT foam filled. He said it was like driving a completely different machine, and the he would never go back to foam.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I do a lot of FEL work on my property. I have about the rockiest piece of land that I have ever seen. Therefore I use my FEL to move a LOT of rocks on my property. For the first couple of years that I had my tractor I had problems with running the front tires right off the bead. I solved that problem by doing two things. The first thing that I did was to fill the fires with windshield washer fluid. The second thing that I did was to make sure that I did not turn the steering wheel unless the tractor was moving.

Probably the single most effective thing that I did was to change my habit of moving the steering wheel without the tractor moving. There is a lot of added stress on the sidewall of a tire that is turning without rolling, especially when using the FEL.

Just about two years ago I got a flat on one of the stock tires from running over a nail that I did not see in the grass. I took that opportunity to change my tires to the same ones that are on the BX23xx and BX 25 series tractors. I filled those tire with windshield washer fluid too. I run the front tires with 22 pounds of air on top of the windshield washer fluid and I have never had a problem with them. I have never even seen any of the WWF seep out from the rim either.

Take the above as you will but it worked for me.

Reactions: 1 user

XrTweaked

Equipment
L2501DT
Sep 23, 2020
Cincinnati
I'm considering having my l2501 tires filled with foam. The dealer I've been dealing with just quoted me $2000 for all four. To me, that seems quite high, but I haven't had a chance to price compare yet. One big drawback for me right now is I do not have a trailer big enough to haul my tractor around. My dealer was going to get this done while he has it to install the new backhoe on it.
I just got this tractor two months ago, brand new, and so far I've already had one flat from all the honey locust thorns. I originally had it in my contract to get beet juice installed when they have it for the backhoe, but now I'm talking myself out of that.
While doing all the comparisons, it appears that foam is the best choice for ballast weight. It weighs more than any other option I've compared. That is my original driver, the ballast weight. So, adding in the benefit of longer tire life due to no fluctuations in pressure and no more flats, it just seems like a no-brainer. My tractor will more than likely never see road usage, only fields and trails. But my property is predominantly cedar and locust trees.
So, has anyone had a similar tire filled recently and can comment on the 2k cost? Is that reasonable?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm considering having my l2501 tires filled with foam. The dealer I've been dealing with just quoted me $2000 for all four. To me, that seems quite high, but I haven't had a chance to price compare yet. One big drawback for me right now is I do not have a trailer big enough to haul my tractor around. My dealer was going to get this done while he has it to install the new backhoe on it.
I just got this tractor two months ago, brand new, and so far I've already had one flat from all the honey locust thorns. I originally had it in my contract to get beet juice installed when they have it for the backhoe, but now I'm talking myself out of that.
While doing all the comparisons, it appears that foam is the best choice for ballast weight. It weighs more than any other option I've compared. That is my original driver, the ballast weight. So, adding in the benefit of longer tire life due to no fluctuations in pressure and no more flats, it just seems like a no-brainer. My tractor will more than likely never see road usage, only fields and trails. But my property is predominantly cedar and locust trees.
So, has anyone had a similar tire filled recently and can comment on the 2k cost? Is that reasonable?
I would call around and get a price directly from whomever foam fills tires in your area. My guess is that the dealer is not capable of doing it himself, and is subbing it out and you are paying a middle man fee.

If you supply the tire size, the foam filler will be able to quote an exact price. But you will have to drop off and pick up. And the tires will be HEAVY. Only you can decide if you are able to handle them yourself.

But at least if you get a price you can figure out if you are being taken advantage of, or not, and if so how bad...

XrTweaked

Equipment
L2501DT
Sep 23, 2020
Cincinnati
I would call around and get a price directly from whomever foam fills tires in your area. My guess is that the dealer is not capable of doing it himself, and is subbing it out and you are paying a middle man fee.

If you supply the tire size, the foam filler will be able to quote an exact price. But you will have to drop off and pick up. And the tires will be HEAVY. Only you can decide if you are able to handle them yourself.

But at least if you get a price you can figure out if you are being taken advantage of, or not, and if so how bad...
Thanks for the reply Henro, that's pretty much what I was going to do. I would imagine I can handle the tires as long as I'm able to roll them around. The two rears should end up weighing around 500#'s each after filling them with the foam. I'm sure that would be a little tough trying to roll them up the trailer ramp, but not impossible. I do have a 6'x10' trailer, so it would handle the tires.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the reply Henro, that's pretty much what I was going to do. I would imagine I can handle the tires as long as I'm able to roll them around. The two rears should end up weighing around 500#'s each after filling them with the foam. I'm sure that would be a little tough trying to roll them up the trailer ramp, but not impossible. I do have a 6'x10' trailer, so it would handle the tires.
The foam-filled rears on my little BX weighed 181 pounds each, and they are MUCH smaller than the rears on a L2501. When you get a price, ask what a filled tire will weigh. AND report back! Very curious... I do not have a clue, but would not be surprised if the foam filled rear tires on an L2501 weighed more than 500 pounds each. Of course, this depends on tire type/volume.

But as I said, do not have a clue...

79 powerking

Equipment
1970 economy 1614 1979 powerking 1614 at least they're orange.
Feb 4, 2021
Lemont Furnace Pa
I've fixed many slow bead leaks with good ole blue silicone! Just break it down and put a smear of it around the rim and air it back up.