BX2370 and mud--are my expectations out of wack?

deerhuntre

Equipment
BX2370
May 5, 2019
Buffalo Grove, IL
First post, long time "enjoyer" of this forum!! So much great help and cool stuff!!

Have a look at the pictures of operating my BX2370 with AG tires today. The ground is pretty greasy and I got stuck many times while empty and not dragging anything. My property is pretty flat, too. Freed myself with the crab walk each time. I had only the trailer mover on the 3pt. Also, earlier in the day, I wanted to smooth out some ruts in the fire-roads, but was not able to pull my 48" boxblade without spinning the wheels.

Questions:

Would a larger B series make it though the mud as shown in the pictures?
Am I expecting too much out of the BX2370 regarding working in the mud/soggy spring ground?
Is boxblading only really going to possible when the ground has fully dried out?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: BX2370 and mud--are my expectations out of wack? Need a bigger tracktor?

First post, long time "enjoyer" of this forum!! So much great help and cool stuff!!

Have a look at the pictures of operating my BX2370 with AG tires today. The ground is pretty greasy and I got stuck many times while empty and not dragging anything. My property is pretty flat, too. Freed myself with the crab walk each time. I had only the trailer mover on the 3pt. Also, earlier in the day, I wanted to smooth out some ruts in the fire-roads, but was not able to pull my 48" boxblade without spinning the wheels.

Questions:

Am I expecting too much out of the BX2370 regarding working in the mud/soggy spring ground?
Is boxblading only really going to possible when the ground has fully dried out?
Your BX does not have AG tires, they have more of a R4 (industrial tire).

I don't think a B or any other tractor is going to very good in that swamp, no matter what tire you could run on it.

You really need to stay off of it till it dries out, so yes you expecting too much out of any tractor.

No you really can not box blade or any other blade mud, again you need to wait till it dries out.

If you need to get on it earlier you need to add some serious drainage to it.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Questions:

You're just making things worse.

Let it dry out.

SDT

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
A bigger tractor would actually be worse. The weight would sink it. You can have a super nice tractor with AG tires, 4WD, chains, and diff lock, and it'll sink up to the axles and won't go anywhere if you get in clay. Doesn't matter if you have an FEL and a backhoe. It won't move. Fix your drainage, and stay off muddy areas until they dry up.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Patience...The trail to the shed where I store the M is so muddy, I had to move the tractor and park it on my driveway so I can use it elsewhere till the ground dries out. Still way too wet.

cre73

Equipment
B2601
Jun 5, 2018
Central Illinois
Nope, got my B2601 stuck yesterday. One minute everything was fine, next second four tires spinning. Luckily I was able to pull it out with my truck after multiple attempts. I did not have my FEL on at the time.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I would agree with the others. That's a lot of mud for anything/anyone. And judging by the looks of your floorboards, you've really been into it, too.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
The BX will do what you want - when the ground is dry.

Working in the mud will make a bigger mess fast. Any tractor can get stuck in the mud. Another tractor forum has a stuck pictures thread.

My BX has been parked outside since last fall. The ground has dried up enough that I am working on drainage So I can get back in the shed. Added weight will help, I have both filled rears and a ballast box.

deerhuntre

Equipment
BX2370
May 5, 2019
Buffalo Grove, IL
Thank you for the replies!! This has been one of the wettest years up here that anyone can remember! I guess I'll be waiting for some time before resuming these activities.

Yeah, drainage is on the agenda and we've been planning the project for later in the summer.

Attached image is a close-up of the tires I have on my BX and I had ordered the R1 knowing I don't really have any lawn to mow, just fire-roads.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You wasnt stuck you was just detained for a bit
this is stuck
https://youtu.be/mh8gN0osG1k?t=58
For some reason farmers aren't all that bright (not all but most). Drop the implement and get out and leave the implement for later. Stuck does bad things, not just to the tractor but it brings up the sub soil (which isn't fertile), and leaves ruts that last for years.

I won't even think about getting in any of my fields unless they are dry and the surface will support the equipment. Easy enough to find out too. Just walk them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thank you for the replies!! This has been one of the wettest years up here that anyone can remember! I guess I'll be waiting for some time before resuming these activities.

Yeah, drainage is on the agenda and we've been planning the project for later in the summer.

Attached image is a close-up of the tires I have on my BX and I had ordered the R1 knowing I don't really have any lawn to mow, just fire-roads.
Those are not R1's, those are low bar industrial tires. R1's are chevron tread with straight lugs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The BX will do what you want - when the ground is dry.

Working in the mud will make a bigger mess fast. Any tractor can get stuck in the mud. Another tractor forum has a stuck pictures thread.

My BX has been parked outside since last fall. The ground has dried up enough that I am working on drainage So I can get back in the shed. Added weight will help, I have both filled rears and a ballast box.
Made a comment elswehere about filled rear tires. Fine if you really need the added weight but I don't see the need so none of mine are loaded. Loaded equals compaction and compaction on soft ground equals stuck.

I want neither, I want as light a footprint as possible because compaction crushes the hay and lowers production.

Guess the easiest comparison for me is... You don't 'load' the tires on your pickup truck do you?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Made a comment elswehere about filled rear tires. Fine if you really need the added weight but I don't see the need so none of mine are loaded. Loaded equals compaction and compaction on soft ground equals stuck.

I want neither, I want as light a footprint as possible because compaction crushes the hay and lowers production.

Guess the easiest comparison for me is... You don't 'load' the tires on your pickup truck do you?
Flip, there are differences between large tractors with weighed wheel (didn't you say you have CI wheels?) and small tractors that are light weight originally designed for working in rice paddies. By adding the weight they become proportionally equal to your larger machines as it came from the factory (the M was not a rice tractor).

In response to your You don't load tires on our PU....what are the sand bags in the bed for in the winter? Or making sure your fuel tank is full for added weight?

Many tractor owners operate their machines in places other than crop lands. If working in the timber, you often work because you have to, not because conditions a nice.

Painting pictures with broad brushes make for a blurry scene!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, there are differences between large tractors with weighed wheel (didn't you say you have CI wheels?) and small tractors that are light weight originally designed for working in rice paddies. By adding the weight they become proportionally equal to your larger machines as it came from the factory (the M was not a rice tractor).

No, I have the optional cast iron centers on all 3. The rims are steel just like yours. Do the little ones have enough balls to run rice wheels? Seen them before. Look wicked. Just the ticket for driving on pavement...lol

In response to your You don't load tires on our PU....what are the sand bags in the bed for in the winter? Or making sure your fuel tank is full for added weight?

I do neither. Maybe you do. I don't never have and I suspect we get more snow than you do.

Many tractor owners operate their machines in places other than crop lands. If working in the timber, you often work because you have to, not because conditions a nice.

Probably so but I read this forum and I'd say 95% of the units on here are 'hobby' units, not 'for work units'. Let it sit until it dries out and ten go in there. Cropland or not, there is no sane reason to get in the mud when you don't have to, other than being in a hurry and then paying the price. I'm not about to 'pay the price for stupidity. Not in lost production from destroyed crop or ruts that have to be fixed and I do own forested land and you'll never catch me in there when it's wet either. I have quite a few downed trees and slash to clean up. It will wait, Been waiting all winter, a while longer makes no difference.

Painting pictures with broad brushes make for a blurry scene!
Not a broad brush in my view, just the difference between being a smart, pro active operator and being in a hurry (for no reason) and paying the price for your stupidity and I cannot put in any other way. It is what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I like looking at pictures of mired, stuck machines, I get a chuckle from it because that will never be me and I will never have the associated grief and work involved in fixing the results of my stupidity because it won't happen.

Sure it's wet, we have had a horrible wet spring, I've seen it before, but just because it's wet and gooey don't mean I need to go out and teat the limits of my machines in the mud (besides, that makes it a PITA to clean anyway.

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
I just got finished removing about 12" of dirt from a 25'x25' area to pour a concrete pad. About 6" down I uncovered some crawdad holes and ground water started pouring out of them like a geyser. After about 30 mins of that, i was done. Way too muddy to do anything productive. I had to take a shovel and ditch the holes out of the way and be careful not to block the ditch when i started back up. Mud is your worst enemy when trying to level/dig/smooth. Stay off it till it dries or ditch it elsewhere.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I think we all have this expectation that a tractor won't get stuck. Generally speaking, a tractor will do better in the mud than a 4x4 pickup, for example, but a tractor will still definitely get stuck.

Tire choice is important. The tires you have don't really look like a true R1 Ag tire to me, but they aren't the standard R4 industrial tires either. For mud conditions, it is always Ag>Industrial>Turf. The BX has sort of "squared off" front tires which kind of prevent a true Ag tire anyway. I find the R4 tires fill up with mud and then are pretty useless. My B2920 has been stuck plenty of times. However, a larger tire generally helps. Of course, the larger tire is usually attached to a heavier machine, which doesn't help.

OrangeBX

Equipment
Bx2680 FEL, MMM 60", EA 5' rear blade, lp ph10 auger, 50" tiller
Apr 24, 2016
North of Zachary, La
His tires are R1 (per kubota). They are available on new bx tractors. My bx 2200 had them and my bx 2680 has them. They do provide more traction than the "r4s" seen on many bxs. The dealer I bought my new one from didn't even know they were available. I agree though, that they aren't ags. Mine actually keep my tiny tractor from tearing up the grass and fields I have.

Last edited: