Dumbest thing you've done in a shop

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
While doing the rear brakes on my pickup I had a pair of vice grips on the lower spring in order to connect it to the opposite shoe when the vice grips let go and I punched myself square in the nose. To make it worse my wife was standing there watching, must have been something I did years before but I never seen her laugh so hard. :confused:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You do enough wrenching, you've got some memories (hopefully).

One sticks out in my mind, and it wasn't a boneheaded move on my part either. I was working on a TH350 trans rebuild in a '77 Chevy pickup. Long bed 2wd. Pretty easy. Had it up on jackstands, used the jack to lift the trans out and then back in. Had it all done, had truck running on the stands to check/adjust fluid levels, pressures, etc--all went well. After dinner (and time for the truck to cool), I climbed back under it to triple check for leaks in the normal leak places, e.g., pan, converter seal area, converter area, and extension housing. None found. While I was under it I happened to notice that the FRAME of the truck was buckling/bending where the jack stand was against it. I couldn't believe it and still don't believe how CHEESY those stupid trucks are built! Well before I could get out from under it, the buckled frame gave, truck fell, then of course with only 3 holding it, the load shifted, and fell off the other 3. There I was pinned under the truck, couldn't get out, no cellphone, couldn't get to the house phone, nobody to holler at. If I hollered and nobody heard me, was there a sound made?? LOL! Anyway it was on the wheels but it was still on me pretty tight. That day just happened to be my birthday. No big deal, I don't generally celebrate my birthdays anyway. The girfriend at the time, however, is different. She decided to surprise me for my birthday by showing up with steaks from the local steakhouse. 'Course there I was stuck under the truck just waiting for someone to show up. She had no idea how to use a floor jack but she learned real quick, got the truck lifted just high enough, I skinnied out from under it and checked for missing appendages, etc. The frame kinda laid across my belly and missed the ribs by not much and my hip bones by not much either, so was real lucky. Got some bruises, but no major injury.

The dude that owned the truck was mad about his frame, but as I showed him the bruising on my belly, he calmed down a little. Besides, it ain't my fault that the frame was a steaming piece of feces!

Most of the time it's the jack stands that fail but not this time. These were good stands with nice, wide steel pads so I was pretty confident with 'em. The truck? Shouldn't have happened. Dude that owned it got rear ended not a week after he got it back and they totaled the pile of junk. Good. I wish it'd have burned, so long as nobody was in it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know if it was dumb, but it was dumb unlucky?

Way back when I was a teenager, I had this 68 Chevy truck, clean, still nothing fancy to look at, but I knew how to make it run.
4 speed with just the right gearing and rear end to match, and a 327 corvette motor all decked out under the hood, breathing through headers and 3" pipes, a real sleeper.

One friday I had a hot date that evening, but needed to fix my truck, jumped on it and went to town throwing wrenches at it as fast as I could, got it all together about 5, date was at 8 jumped in it to give it a test run and....Where the #$$% are the keys, searched and searched and searched, and contemplated and though over and over again, where the (*&* I left the ^%^$ %&^ *%* keys, searched, and searched and searched, to no avail.
It was now 11 and I knew that I wasn't going to get to see the girl, just ticked off to no end, but tired as can be, decided to clean up and call it a day, picked up all the tools, put everything away, walk up to the truck slammed the truck door in disgust and clank clink clank, look over at the door and the keys were in the door lock the whole dang time! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Next day went and had another key made and hid it on the truck.

Didn't ever get to go on a date with that girl, she was too pissed off that I stood her up. :(

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Never did a dumb thing in a shop.

If anyone is interested, I have a bridge for sale. Cheap

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The second woman, I've been married to for 24 years. Wolfman. The date,, had the date but trans was broke in my '57 ford. I'm laying on a piece of plywood and it's pouring rain, trying to get this manual 3 spd installed. In the process, gear oil leaked out the rear right on to my head full of hair. You know the stuff that stinks worse than any animal feces. Get it installed, test drive and take a HOT shower. As soon as the girl got into the car, ""WHAT'S that smell?. needless to say, it was a short date.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I had a '78 Z28 that hated women. Was on a date with a girl when the battery bracket broke and the battery somehow shorted out against the cross brace and shorted out and killed the car. A couple years later, on a date, the car threw a fan blade...couldn't figure out where the vibration was coming from until the next morning.