L3200 losing power

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So occasionally my L3200 would lose power. I had posted on this issue a while ago and have taken all the advice I've gotten from here and put it to good use. By that I mean, I've:

• Changed out the fuel filter
  • blown out all the fuel lines
  • dumped my diesel in case it was bad
  • Added an algaecide in case I had green crap growing in my tank
  • added some Lucas fuel treatment to make sure the injectors were clean
  • opened up the tops of the injectors until fuel came out
  • ensured all the air has been removed from the fuel lines
  • Changed out the air filter
  • ensured no leaks in the radiator and that it had not lost coolant

I thought I had the problem pretty well licked as this past weekend I worked with the tractor for over an hour with no problem. This was after I had used the tractor briefly a couple of times in prior days with no problem to haul hay up to the barn which only takes 10-20 minutes or so.

Unfortunately, after my hour of working this past weekend all of a sudden I started losing power again as the RPMs would not stay up. It certainly seems like a fuel problem to me but the fuel bowl was still full and clear so I think I can discount anything that could have been in the tank if that was even a problem in the beginning.

So, at this point I am in a quandary. My best guess is that its either the fuel lift pump or the injector pump. However, before I start tearing into the engine, I thought I'd see if there was any other suggestions and if not, how best to approach replacing these pumps as they are not cheap and my wrenching skills are limited.

Thanks for all your help. This forum is the best!

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Have you tried loosening the fuel cap to see if the vent is plugged?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Have you checked for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump? I'll guess you have a restriction in water seperater housing

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe check the rubber fuel lines over time they will sometimes get weak and collapse, sounds like you checked everything else,,,, EXCEPT ,,, maybe the flow from the tank, could be something blocking the outgoing line , gunk, leaves, grass, june bug

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
How many hours and years on this tractor?

Follow-on to skeets is that the recommended change interval on fuel lines is 2 years.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you suspect a fuel flow issue to the injection pump, replace the rubber hose with a clear vinyl hose , put a loop in the hose above the injection pump.
bleed all the air out and run it, when it starts to act weird check the hose while running and see if there is air or anything else like collapsed hose. ;)

FYI: "added some Lucas fuel treatment to make sure the injectors were clean" this does not "make sure" that you don't have dirty clogged / bad injectors, if the problem persists you might have to pull the injectors and have them tested properly.

Last edited:

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
Thanks guys. The tractor has 240 hours on it and is 5 years old. Never thought about the rubber fuel lines collapsing, certainly worth a try.

If it helps, it does seem that the tractor bogs down more when I try to give it more rpms via the "gas lever". It loses power but it has come back after a hesitation enough to get it back in the barn at least.

Any other ideas? I'll report back.

Ford351c

Equipment
B7100
Feb 14, 2019
Vandergrift
I had a similar problem with a Ford tractor. It was the ridged tube fuel rail. I had a pin hole couldn't see. It was not leaking enough to see. But air was getting in. I'M not sure what KUBOTA uses, but this part is a metal ring the injectors fit through screwing into the engine, then ridged metal pipe going between the rings the injectors sit on. Basically the fuel delivery system to the injectors.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it helps, it does seem that the tractor bogs down more when I try to give it more rpms via the "gas lever". It loses power but it has come back after a hesitation enough to get it back in the barn at least.
Let's clarify something, when you say gas lever are you talking the hand throttle or the foot pedal? :confused:

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
I'm sorry, I meant the hand throttle. BTW, do you know what size vinyl tubing I need to purchase? Is there a particular specification I should be looking for?

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
Problem fixed...

I remembered I never got back with what I did to resolve the fuel issue. Looks like it turned out to be a problem with the fuel lift pump. The way it was diagnosed was that we bypassed the onboard pump and temporarily connected an electric pump we had sitting around. Engine started right up and ran smoothly with better power. So we replaced the fuel lift pump (not cheap...$168 with a new gasket). I've been running a post hole digger installing about 100 12" post holes the last few days and the L3200 has run like a champ. I also added some Seafoam to the fuel and have run about 10-15 gallons of fresh diesel through it since I started having the problem and I'm pretty sure I've now got it licked. I'll know for sure once I have to bushhog the pasture again.

Thanks to all the suggestions i got!