Kubota L2501 - initial review

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
It is a nice tractor for sure. Probably still a little underpowered but functional. Definitely well made and heavy duty. Part of how you feel about this tractor is what you have to compare it against. If this is your first tractor or you’re graduating from a BX it might seem amazing. If you’ve run a higher power machine, it might seem weak. Nevertheless, the added torque and size of the engine do seem to help it power along. The HST seems a little slow compared to other Kubotas but that might be on purpose.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
One more update - I'm up to 10 hours now. Fuel consumption seems very good. I cannot say enough for how well this thing starts up...cold, warm, hot...it just immediately starts with a little puff of smoke and zero hesitation. It barely cranks before it's running. It starts better than any other Kubota I've ever owned, including my 2018 MX4800 with it's common-rail electronically controlled fuel system.

Yesterday I used it for york-raking some major ruts out of the lawn. It worked great. I run at 2000 RPM in medium range for best productivity. I expected to operate in low range, maybe at a lower RPM, but the HST definitely seems a little slow compared to the B-series or other Kubotas I've run. High range is OK for just transporting on flat ground, but any inclines start to slow it down, even at wide open. However, there is enough modulation in the HST pedal to simply ease back in high and it can go up small inclines. Low is very slow.

I also did some bucket work. Right now I've got my MX's larger 6-foot bucket on the L2501, but it can still dig and transport larger loads of lighter materials. The loader is fast, but doesn't have a lot of breakout power, and lift is fair. I tried lifting my 800lb zero turn mower with forks on the L2501. It got it off the ground, but not more than a foot. The forks maybe weigh more than the bucket, but this thing doesn't have a ton of lifting power. Depending upon your expectations, that may be fine. For moving snow, mulch, brush, and dirt...no problem. For lifting heavy loads on forks, or by a chain on the bucket...I'd think you are limited to around 700lbs or so. The bucket does lift fairly high up in the air, which is nice...the quick attach works very smoothly, and the loader itself is a lot more rugged than some of the competition.

I strongly dislike the clutch to start, but have refrained from bypassing the switch because that would also bypass the clutch to PTO safety which I'd like to keep.

The coolant temp stays on the colder side. I wonder if this engine has a thermostat or just runs open?

Great tractor. I think it would serve very well for many people needing a general purpose machine, without spending for more power. In some ways, the 3301 and 3901 are not really worth the money because they don't really lift any more and are subject to the same relatively low-flowing pump. I guess more HP would help run larger implements though...and maybe the HST is faster.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
.....High range is OK for just transporting on flat ground, but any inclines start to slow it down, even at wide open......
By chance are your tires filled? The reason I ask is I test rode one at a dealer with just a loader, no rear implement or liquid in the tires. I took it up their gravel driveway, which was a slight incline, in H and it didn't seem to bog down at all but I got the feeling with hoe or even a 500# box blade on the back along with loaded tires that grade would have slowed it down.

.....I tried lifting my 800lb zero turn mower with forks on the L2501. It got it off the ground, but not more than a foot. The forks maybe weigh more than the bucket, but this thing doesn't have a ton of lifting power......

Do you know the weight of your pallet forks? The reason I ask is some can be fairly heavy (350#+) which would be what you'd need for your larger MX. I've noticed EA among others offer lighter weight (under 250#) pallet forks for compact tractors. Lift capacity is what has me considering the CK2610. Smooth operation of the FEL and 3-point hitch, along with good experience with my last two tractors both Kubota's, has me leaning toward Kubota.

Great tractor. I think it would serve very well for many people needing a general purpose machine, without spending for more power. In some ways, the 3301 and 3901 are not really worth the money because they don't really lift any more and are subject to the same relatively low-flowing pump. I guess more HP would help run larger implements though...and maybe the HST is faster.

I've been following your experience with your L2501, thanks for posting it. In fact I'm likely going ahead with an L2501 next week myself (or possibly a CK2610 which is similar), already got prices on both.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
By chance are your tires filled? The reason I ask is I test rode one at a dealer with just a loader, no rear implement or liquid in the tires. I took it up their gravel driveway, which was a slight incline, in H and it didn't seem to bog down at all but I got the feeling with hoe or even a 500# box blade on the back along with loaded tires that grade would have slowed it down.
Yes, they are filled with Ballast Star non-corrosive fluid. The dealer informed me they put 310lbs of fluid in each rear tire.

Do you know the weight of your pallet forks? The reason I ask is some can be fairly heavy (350#+) which would be what you'd need for your larger MX. I've noticed EA among others offer lighter weight (under 250#) pallet forks for compact tractors. Lift capacity is what has me considering the CK2610. Smooth operation of the FEL and 3-point hitch, along with good experience with my last two tractors both Kubota's, has me leaning toward Kubota.
Yes, I bought my pallet forks for the MX. They are 48", have a 4,000lb capacity, and weigh 320lbs. Made in the USA.

I've been following your experience with your L2501, thanks for posting it. In fact I'm likely going ahead with an L2501 next week myself (or possibly a CK2610 which is similar), already got prices on both.
The Kioti specs out very close to the L2501, and in many areas exceeds the Kubota. A little more lift height, certainly more weight lifting capacity, and oddly more PTO HP. Engine displacement of the Kioti is basically the same, yet 2.5 more PTO HP. That is odd, considering they have the same engine power and Kubota HST transmissions are usually very efficient. The Kubota is rated at 400RPM less, which I think is an advantage. What would keep me from the Kioti is simply that Kubota has a reputation for excellence, and with that comes very good resale value, good dealer and parts availability, and generally great reliability. That said, I think Kioti is leaps and bounds ahead of Mahindra and is probably a nice machine.

Anyway, keep us posted on what you do.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Here's another little update. Tractor continues to perform well. I ordered 3" Bro-Tek spacers for the rear wheels since I had a very positive experience with them on my B2920, although those were 2". I was initially hesitant to go 3" because I thought they might make the machine look goofy or put too much stress on the rear axle. However, Richard from Bro-Tek assures me they have sold hundreds of 3" spacers for L-series machines and dealers buy them from Bro-Tek directly. Although I felt with loaded tires the L2501 was pretty stable on a steep sidehill in stock form, I'm certain adding 6" of rear track is going to make it extremely stable. It might not be fun installing the spacers with the rear tires already loaded, however.

I've gotten proficient at operating this machine now. It's more effort to steer and operate the treadle pedal compared to the MX, but you get used to it and it becomes no problem.

Here's my machine with the larger MX bucket on the front and the 4-foot Vrismo flail on the back...

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
That's just a nice looking basic tractor there, mine should be delivered next week. I went ahead with the L2501 even though the Kioti CK2610 has a stronger loader, a few more deluxe features, and was $1,000 cheaper. What swayed me to the L2501 were a few things:

1) My positive experience with two previous Kubota tractors, both of which were a joy to own, operate, service, and were completely trouble free. Not saying a Kioti couldn't be also but personal experience counts for something.

2) Comments and videos of the jerky action when slowly raising the three point and difficulty of smoothly multi functioning: raising, curling, lowering and tipping the front loader. Probably not a big deal and something I would get used to but sometimes those little things make a difference.

3) Closest Kioti dealer had one CK2610 and one CK4010, both were out in their lot and well weathered with some rust and faded plastic. Kubota Dealer had a fresh looking L2501. Probably not an issue for some but considering my tractor will be garage kept and even waxed a couple times a year it is to me.

4) Troverman's (among other's) overall positive experience with this tractor.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Congrats on the new machine! Feel free to post pics and your experiences here or start your own thread. Waiting for the dealer to get it ready is the toughest part. The 2501's on the dealer lots are usually always pretty fresh...it is Kubota's best selling tractor model and they turn over pretty quick. The manufacture date on my tractor was only 3 months before I bought it, and if you consider shipping it from Japan to distribution and to the dealer and then the sale...pretty quick.

I wash my tractors at least twice a year...once in spring and once before winter...and they also get a coating of wax at those times as well. In the end they'll get dirty and some scratches, but I like to keep them looking good as long as possible.

I'm contemplating having the Line-X guy do the floor boards and transmission hump on my 2501 as they very quickly get scratched. Another possibility would be to cut and install a rubber stall mat. I think the rubber mat would help cut down more on noise and heat, but the Line-X bed liner would look nicer.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks, I'll post a pic of it when it arrives and before I get it dirty. :)

Are they actually made in Japan? Or just some of the components made there and shipped to Georgia for assembly?

The "sales manager" at the local dealer, just 3 miles away, didn't seem to know a lot about his products but what really got to me was after he finally scribbled up a price I asked "so that's the total right?" He said "well plus the $150 doc fee". When I said "why would I want to pay you a doc fee" he said "the state requires it", which is an outright lie so I just walked out.
Ended up going 50 miles to the dealer in PA where I bought my first Kubota and what a contrast. He worked up a price itemizing everything which I took home. When I called him the next day and said "that'll work want my credit card for a deposit"? He said no I'll order what we need and you can just pay when I deliver it.
A couple days ago he said it should be ready Thursday (tomorrow) but I had already agreed to meet my friend at a campground tomorrow and she'd simply not understand being stood up for a tractor delivery so it'll have to be next week.

I ordered it with R4's, SSQA FEL, Land Pride third function for my grapple (interesting Kubota doesn't offer one for it), and LP Quick Hitch to use up the remaining $300 implement rebate. I'll order a set of pallet forks one of these days, probably EA which are under 300#, also a flail mower for the small fields that I mow down each Fall. I already have a 72" rear blade and the Titan ballast box came yesterday.

I'm looking forward to this tractor, I had some logging done so there's a lot of grapple fun (I mean work) I need to do. :)

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Good deal Oliver...mine is the same, except I have no third function or grapple. Wish I did.

All the dealers around here charge the doc fee and say the same thing: the state requires it.

The MX bucket is 6 feet and pretty deep...weighs about 370lbs I believe.

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
It wont be long and the paint will start to wear off on the transmission hump cover plate. Ask me how I know:)

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
Odd that the L2501 HST requires clutch to start. Like others, I have an L3901, no clutch required.

I've had my HST pedal stick slightly off center before, preventing it from starting. I haven't bypassed any safety switches. But I can start it while standing beside it.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
It wont be long and the paint will start to wear off on the transmission hump cover plate. Ask me how I know:)
I saw a guy online bed line the hump as well as the floor boards. Didn’t turn out half bad. I believe it was the L owners page on Facebook.

The wife wanted to use the tractor a few weeks ago to haul some weeds and put a nice scratch on said hump. I had to give her a hard time because it was the day after we got back from our honeymoon.. marriage issues already. Lol.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
....All the dealers around here charge the doc fee and say the same thing: the state requires it.

Here (after a deal was already made) car dealers were often adding a dealer "document" fee (for filling out a few forms required by their manufacturer and or the State) mixed in with the legitimate State license and title fees. If questioned some would come clean and admit the doc fee actually was simply more money added on for them and after confronted often had to agree to take it back off or loose the deal. However some people who paid it complained to the state attorney general after finding dealerships charged them but not others so the AT got involved saying "if you charge it for one you must charge everyone the same". With that language dealers started saying "the state requires us to charge a doc fee", some actually saying it goes to the State which of course is an outright lie.

Obviously after both parties agree on a price (and if the buyer holds the dealer to that price) if the dealer happens to have been adding a doc fee to previous sales he'll have to adjust downward the sale price that amount before adding a Doc back on.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
To add to my review...I have put considerably more hours on my L2501 doing flail mowing, and have a fairly accurate feel for this machine now.

In short, it does pretty well. It is overall slower than most other Kubotas I have owned and / or operated. Last night I mowed for three hours, with all of that time backing straight up a slope and mowing down. This is a pretty extreme slope with some areas being steep enough to where the tractor simply doesn't have enough traction to make it all the way up the slope, even with loaded rear tires, diff lock engaged, 4x4 engaged, and bucket removed from the loader, and a 700lb flail mower hanging off the back. I ran in HST low the whole time, of course. With the flail raised, wide open throttle the whole time, you cannot just 'pedal down' to get up the slope...the engine will start to bog and emit a little black smoke. Easing up on the pedal, and up the slope you go. The machine has no trouble running a 4-foot mower even in dense, heavy grass...with the caveat being you have to go slow. I suspect you might even be able to run a 5-foot mower, although in heavy sections you'd be going very slow.

The HST has a very pronounced whine, but nothing bad comes of it. I wear 3M ear protection full muffs with FM radio and bluetooth built in. The engine without a doubt produces more torque than the 29HP B-series I had before.
Shedding weight while mowing helps. I had the bucket off, but next time I might remove the entire loader. Just means less engine HP are devoted to moving the weight of the tractor.

The engine is exceptionally fuel efficient. I had one of my employees operating my MX4800 with a 6-foot mower doing the same task. He went through half a tank (about 7 gallons) in the same time the L2501 went through 2 gallons.

With my added 3" per side Bro-Tek spacers, the tractor feels extremely stable.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks for the update troverman. After reading it I'm a little concerned that it'll run the 58" Woodmax flail I just ordered, sounds like in really tall, thick weeds I'll have to go very slow and/or take a smaller bite for sure.
I chose not to load the tires but I have a ballast box for when using the loader, my thinking is to leave the loader on to offset the flail but I guess I'll just have to see.

One of the reasons I went from a B to this L2501 was the wider rear tire width (from 52" to 58") and am now thinking spacing it out just a bit more with 2 or even 3" spacers. Sounds like you're pleased with your 3" Bro-Teks.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I think under many conditions a 5-foot flail could be effectively powered by the L2501. However, on steep hills I think it would struggle. You will have to go slow in some conditions, but you'll have the extra width to make up for the loss of speed.

Bro-Tek makes a very nice quality spacer that is reasonably priced. I thought 3" might make the tractor look goofy, but it doesn't. Kubota only offers 1" spacers.

Making the tractor "lighter" is going to help it's performance because it has less weight to move. So not loading the rear tires is going to save by my estimates about 600lbs. I'd also remove the bucket - if you have the 66" QA bucket which most do, that's another 265lbs you aren't carrying around. Leaving the loader assembly without the bucket still keeps 805lbs on the front of the tractor for offsetting weight. However, if you are mowing easy terrain without much sloping, I'd take the whole loader off as well.

I'll be very curious how you like your woodmax flail. Post some pics if you can.

I noticed my L2501 has an extremely strong 'diesel exhaust' smell when it's running. However, now that I have 15 hours or so on it, it seems to be starting to fade a little, which is nice.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Another update - I operated a 5-foot brush hog (rotary cutter) behind the L2501 for a few hours, and I am frankly impressed. It mows along perfectly steady through thick field grass without issue. Also mowed more with the 4-foot flail mower and it continues to do well. Might have to go a little slower overall, but you really don't notice it. Very happy with this tractor. Diesel smell has really gone away.