Be Gentle - I'm Working On An Idea

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Sorry this is so long but I have to share all these details so you can understand my project in the planning. We have 6 acres that has a building site up top where our home will go and down low where our winery is currently being built. Between the two is about 3-1/2 acres on a steep hillside. When dozing the winery site we had to cut in to the hillside and, to prevent building a retaining wall, we cut in three 4' high x 9' deep terraces. Because of this I can no longer use my L4701 tractor on the hillside because it is too steep to travel side to side without risk of rolling and, now, I do not have a way to turn around at the bottom because of the terraces so I cannot travel straight up and down as I have in the past. Because of all this and it would look bada$$, we have decided to terrace the entire hillside before we plant our vineyard. We will instal our trellis' and vines on the outer edge of each trellis which will mean that as I make a pass spraying I will have the vines on the uphill side significantly higher than those on the downhill side. This brings me to my dilemma.

I an not anti herbicides and other spray that people traditionally use in a vineyard but I am extremely opposed to excessive or wasteful spraying. We are surrounded by cherry and apple orchards and I despise seeing them blasting their chemicals high into the air. See Pic 1 There are some attachments to these sprayers to minimize the overspray but they do not address my need for two seperate heights. See pic 2. Also, these traditional trailer sprayers are way to big to make the turns I will have at the ends of my rows. They do make smaller 3 point mounted air blast sprayers but they are expensive and do not address my alternating row heights especially since every time I make a turn the high and low rows will alternate. pic 3 I have also seen some veturi based 3 point sprayers but this is new technology and is off the charts expensive. pic 4

What I am thinking is buy a cheap traditional orchard sprayer like Pic 5 (Which is currently on the local craigslist for $600) and making my own 3 point pto powered fan and spray nozzle assembly. I would mount the liquid tank o the front of the tractor with a 12 volt pump which would give me better balance and more maneuverability and would be easy to accomplish. I would then fab up using galvanized sheet metal and four vent duct system with a high and a low duct on both sides. A simple solenoid valve valve system could easily switch the liquid flow from top left/bottom right to top right/bottom left and I coul leave the air blasting out of all four. Or I could figure out a way to shut off air to the unused vents.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas. This is all in my head at this point so there is room for new thinking.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT make you own blower, get a blower and then add ducting a jets to it. ;)

The dynamics to balancing and supporting a big blower like that is critical.

Last edited:

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
DO NOT make you own blower, get a blower and then add ducting a jets to it. ;)

The dynamics to balancing and supporting a big blower like that is critical.
I guess I didn't say exactly what I meant in my second to last paragraph. What I meant to say was buy an existing orchard sprayer, discard the pump and tank and fab up a bracket to mount the blower assembly on my 3 point with the pto driving it. Then fab up the ducting and nozzles to the newly mounted professionally manufactured fan assembly. I would mount a plastic tank and liquid pump on the front of the tractor for balance and maneuverability.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Where are you going to mount the tank? Does it have to gravity feed? Sorry, I do not know much about sprayers.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is it so-imperative that you reverse-course at the end of each run? Why don't you simply return to the same starting-end and therefore always spray in one-direction only?

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Is it so-imperative that you reverse-course at the end of each run? Why don't you simply return to the same starting-end and therefore always spray in one-direction only?
Each terrace will be over 600 feet long so I would have to back up that entire distance after each row. That wouldn’t be very time efficient plus I don’t think my neck and back would appreciate all the time looking over my shoulder, lol

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hmm, re pulling a sprayer , tight ends....
I'm assuming there are several rows are parallel to the slope...
..could you spray row 1, then 4, then 2 then 5, then 3 then 6...yes there's some extra driving as you 'skip' 2 rows between sprays.
Just an idea as it would allow using a normal sprayer.
If you make a tractor mtd unit, I can see it being on forever and if (when) the tractor breaks down , how could it be moved to another working tractor?.

just food for thought..
Jay