Kubota UDT substitute

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Amalie Ultra all-trac 245 list Kubota udt on its label
Interesting, their spec sheet says Amalie Ultra All-Trac 245 meets or exceeds the following specifications:Kubota UDT and Super UDT

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Interesting, their spec sheet says Amalie Ultra All-Trac 245 meets or exceeds the following specifications:Kubota UDT and Super UDT

And what specification is it that they say that it meets? Viscosity? My goodness I can mix engine oil and diesel and get similar viscosity and if that's the only specification that I have to meet, then I met it.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Feel free to mix your own oil up for your tractor, but for me, I wouldn't put anything in unless there was clear indication by the manufacturer that it met or exceeded Kubota's specifications. To meet or exceed it has to do it for all.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Having spent the last 36+ years married to a Cost/Benefits Analyst, I kinda think like her now. (It's from getting that "look" for all these years. You married guys know what I mean...:) )

What is to be gained from buying an alternative brand hydraulic oil (an essentially critical fluid) for my machine? How often do I change it? How much do I save? What are the risks associated for going with an alternative fluid? Operability? Potential internal damage? Nuisance leaks?

To me, the benefits of $100-$150 saved every 400 hours of operation do not offset the potential costs associated with damaging internal seals or components that need additives contained in the OEM fluid. Even with the apparent outstanding test results of AMSOIL on basic attributes, I cannot be sure AMSOIL has the additives that the OEM products has. Wear out a special rubber seal that relies on a proprietary additive and you are not broken but leaking like a piggy. Same result.

The risk simply does not outweigh the small cost savings.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 8, 2014
oregon
CJ-4 is CJ-4, UDT is UDT. If it wasn't the class action vultures would be all over those companies as they have deep pockets. Sure, some exceed the standard(s) and that gets 'discussed.' If you notice they seem to be the ones that buy off brand sockets. Square bolts and round holes.

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Service Dept Vic has mentioned in the past that you can go to Wal-mart and buy thier brand of UDT and use it just fine. So if you have a great price on something like Valvoline you surely can use that as well. They make some top of the line fluids!
Yes, Service Dept Vic did, but on 07-31-2009 Service Dept Vic posted (see post # 5) ***8220;Ok, I'm sold. It's SUDT in this shop from now on! Send the bill to Mr. K. He'll know what to do with it! ***8220; This I assume was Vic's responce to Ob1kubota post #3. see thread http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48

From what I have read on this site and other sites, those with newer tractors unless they are Gear and foot clutch, may want to use the Super UDT to possibly avoid tranny issues. For me it comes down to 22.05 more per 5 gal pail. For something I will only need to change every 350 hrs, its cheap insurance. Many times symptoms were eliminated by changing the fluid to SUDT. My 2 cents. Bill

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
From what I have read on this site and other sites, those with newer tractors unless they are Gear and foot clutch, may want to use the Super UDT to possibly avoid tranny issues. For me it comes down to 22.05 more per 5 gal pail. For something I will only need to change every 350 hrs, its cheap insurance. Many times symptoms were eliminated by changing the fluid to SUDT. My 2 cents. Bill
This covers all the bases

You get what you pay for and the more expensive fluid does make a difference.

Well said KubotaL185DT. :D

CHolmes

Equipment
G4200 T1600 L3130
Apr 10, 2011
Bridgetown Nova Scotia
It would probably be fine in a DT but I would not use anything but Kubota UDT or Super UDT in a HST, every HST trans we have repair/changed had "Tractor Supply" oil in them, Kubota service advised that they have like 8 additives in their oil that the others do not. The old saying "pay me now or pay me later"
You will never convince me that Kubota has "special oil" they(Kubota) contract it out to the cheapest bidder, the same as everyone else does. I am willing to put money that their oil comes from a Japanese or Chinese or Korean plant and is supplied to a minimum standard. Someone said here that Kubota does not make oil and that person is correct they do not. The same argument was made by Harley D so you bought their $15.00 a quart oil with a Harley Lable on it, Someone decided to research it and found out they were buying offshore oil for pennies a quart and it was far worse than any Wal Mart or low brand oil you could buy anywhere. Any good quality oil that is UDT compatible is more than likely better.

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
All good points everyone.

Looking back over thousands of threads regarding UDT/SUDT vs competitors lubricants it's clear this point will continue to draw spirited debate and conversation for years to come on OTT!

I go with the thought that fresh hydraulic oil meeting or exceeding the manufacturers specification is better than the unknown product occupying the reservoir now.

Has always worked for me.
Vic, I tried to contact you for input before I posted (post # 28). I had sent you 2 PMs.

Thought you must be on vacation or to busy to respond ?

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And so ends todays gospel according to Saint Vic,,,lol

Amley9393

Equipment
Bx2200
Aug 27, 2021
Georgia
The Valvoline tech line just replyed to my e-mail and according to them, Valvoline Unitrac Hydraulic Oil-3098 is a direct replacement to Kubota UDT.
I called my kubota dealer and they asked me if I wanted the kubota brand or there in house brand. They said that when it was hard to get the kubota brand they had some made up. Not sure what brand I'll add when I get but a 5gallon is$100.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If the Valvoline Unitrac Hydraulic Oil-3098 is an exact replacement for the Kubota UDT what difference does it make if a 5 gallon pail of it cost $165 ?

I'd definately buy the Kubota product.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
They said that when it was hard to get the kubota brand they had some made up.
The DEALER had "some made up"???

My gut reaction is "Run, don't walk".

I haven't bought any since oil prices went stupid, but a year ago the Kubota "Premium UDT" sold up here was ~CDN$120 for a 20L pail. Roughly similar to your US$100 for 5USG.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You will never convince me that Kubota has "special oil" they(Kubota) contract it out to the cheapest bidder, the same as everyone else does. I am willing to put money that their oil comes from a Japanese or Chinese or Korean plant and is supplied to a minimum standard. Someone said here that Kubota does not make oil and that person is correct they do not. The same argument was made by Harley D so you bought their $15.00 a quart oil with a Harley Lable on it, Someone decided to research it and found out they were buying offshore oil for pennies a quart and it was far worse than any Wal Mart or low brand oil you could buy anywhere. Any good quality oil that is UDT compatible is more than likely better.
In North America and Austrailia SUDT2 is blended by Valvoline. Documented fact not a guess.

I will also be happy to provide you with a detailed description of Kubota's physical properties and performance requirements for SUDT. There are only a handful of products that can come even close to matching it. JD HyGard lo-vis (slightly less exoensive) and CNH/J I Case Ultraction SSL (more expensive) are two that I know of.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For the money you can't beat Super UDT2. 100% synthetic and great stuff. Amsoil does make an equivalent but if you not a dealer or preferred customer it is more expensive but you get their warranty of failure. If you can prove the oil caused the failure they say they will fix it. YMMV.

Semper Fi
Yeah..but I just can’t seem to find where I last left my Oil Laboratory to PROVE it was THEIR OIL that caused the failure…. so I just use what Kubota says and be done with it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just because Kubota is not in the refining business…. doesn’t mean they don’t have specifications to be met by Valvoline or whoever cooks-up their recipie. It also doesn’t mean that everything with a Valvoline “compatible with UDT” pedigree meets Kubota specs. Just because the different fluids are made by the same guy doesn’t mean it’s the same stuff.

I notice that most of the guys who endorse Brand-X ”compatible w/UDT” are “New Members”.…which causes me to wonder if they are also new to tractor ownership.… but…CHolmes (who posted in 2017) is unfortunately not likely to see this post… However I would suggest that using HIS logic…the next time he’s in the hospital he tell the ER that he will be happy with cheaper Dog-blood or a ‘possum heart…. after-all….we’re all made by the same Guy.…

Reactions: 2 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I see the same thing on car forums. Say Toyota has a spec. Now it's WS (World Standard). GM has Dexron VI, IIRC Ford has Mercon VI and the list goes on. Then along comes someone like say Valvoline that says their XYZ fluid meets all those standards and then some. Now, I am not saying Valvoline makes a "poor" product. But, when I see they try to make it meet Ford, spec, GM, Toyota, and whole list of other companies, I get quite concerned. A trans is an awfully expensive thing to chance. No thanks. When I do a fluid change on my Toyota(s) I go to the dealer and buy the OEM stuff. Spent too many years in auto work to chance stuff like that

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just because Kubota is not in the refining business…. doesn’t mean they don’t have specifications to be met by Valvoline or whoever cooks-up their recipie. It also doesn’t mean that everything with a Valvoline “compatible with UDT” pedigree meets Kubota specs. Just because the different fluids are made by the same guy doesn’t mean it’s the same stuff.

I notice that most of the guys who endorse Brand-X ”compatible w/UDT” are “New Members”.…which causes me to wonder if they are also new to tractor ownership.… but…CHolmes (who posted in 2017) is unfortunately not likely to see this post… However I would suggest that using HIS logic…the next time he’s in the hospital he tell the ER that he will be happy with cheaper Dog-blood or a ‘possum heart…. after-all….we’re all made by the same Guy.…
Hyperbole is not helpful and ad hominem attacks add no value to the conversation.. Everybody has and is entitled to their own opionions. I try to base mine on good scientific data.

When Kubota introduced SUDT in 1991 they published an SAE whitepaper describing the engineering goals, physical properties, and qualifying tests for their new lubricant. It is copyright protected material but any SAE member can purchase a copy for the modest sum of $35. I am going to offer up a brief synopsis of that paper and you will find a table showing the comparative physical properties of UDT and SUDT at the bottom of this post. Kubota was primarily focused on two areas of improvement:

Cold Temperature Pumpability

The new fluid had to pump quicker at low temperature than conventional UTTO's like UDT. The qualifying test was a simple bench rig using a Kubota tractor hydraulic pump, 35u suction side filter, flow meter, and reservoir. The oil and test apparatus was stabilized at -30C and then the pump was started. As the oil was pumped through the test rig it is warmed by friction and the rate of flow increases.

• Standard UDT had to flow >1 l/minute after 2 minutes of operation and >3.5 l/min after 10 minutes of operation.
  • The new SUDT had to flow >2.5 l/minute at the 2 minute mark and >5.5 l/min at the 10 minute mark.

Filterability and Water Tolerance

When a lubricant is contaminated by sufficient quantities of water it forms oil/water emulsions and the water can cause additives to precipitate out of solution. These emulsions and precipitates can and do clog filters. The new qualifying test for SUDT consisted of mixing 1% by volume water with the oil, agitating the mixture, and allowing it to rest at room temperature (20C) for 168 hours. The mixture was then passed through a 10mm millipore filter and the sludge and particulates collected were weighed. A maximum of .1g of residue is allowed.

Those two characteristics are the factors KUBOTA defined as separating SUDT from UDT and third party UTTO's. ALL of these lubricants are GL4 gear oils and provide excellent wear protection. I have yet to find any reliable studies that show using conventional UDT or generic UTTO's will harm a Kubota tractor or void your warranty and AFAIK Kubota does not publish such a claim. But what is clear is that SUDT is a SUPERIOR lubricant that will get to operating parts faster in cold weather and can tolerate greater quantities of water contamination before filters need to be changed.

Now for my PERSONAL OPINION:

If you live in a warm dry climate that added performance may be of little added value. However, if you own an HST machine and simply want the best for your tractor SUDT is a readily available and affordable choice. JD Hygard (J20D) and Case Ultraction SSL (Hytran) are very similar OEM products promoted by and available from the competition. Hygard is priced just under SUDT and Ultraction is a considerably more expensive. The Amsoil product is similar but looks like a synthetic in between sort of product. It also costs $200+ for a 5 gallon pail and makes no claims of enhanced water tolerance.

Dan

ALL DATA PROVIDED BY KUBOTA TRACTOR CORPORATION

1661517000096.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users