L235. what to watch out for etc.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
New to me L235. what to watch out for etc.

Just bought a non op L235 4wd for $1800 including delivery 65ish miles away.

Good or bad price?

She has a knock in the top end? somewhere. Body is fair. Not rusting away. Bings, Dings etc. from the Tractor actually being worked.

Did not fire it. Just spun the motor. Glow plugs looked recently reworked. Supposedly everything works but the engine issue. Was a dealer trade in. It started and ran when dealer got it. So apparently knock started after that.? Employee? (Im guessing salesman) ended up with it with intent to rebuild and saw he just doesn't have the time. He then sold it to me. I heard the knock as we spun the engine. When I saw it today it had Been sitting in same spot for week or two since he brought it home. There were no leaks appearing below it.

Looked used but not "abused". I'll see if I can get the old owners info so I can contact him about how he did/didn't do maintenance to give me some ideas.

. Any ideas on what I should look out for?

. Other areas I should investigate for wear?

. Ideas on how to investigate the knock?

. Any common issues with this model tractor?

I was stupid and didnt pull the dip stick to smell for Diesel in the lube oil or look for oil in radiator. I knew others were coming to look at it and my gut said price was good and I should grab it while grabbing was good.

Oh and anyone near OH want to buy a 79? Yamaha XT550 Enduro? Selling it to pay for tractor. Runs GREAT

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Moderator..... could you change the title to:

NEWBIE w/L235 questions (or something to that affect)

Anyone have any insight into this model. Insights in areas mentioned in opening post.

Mucho thanx in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just edit your original post I think you can change the title.

If the glow plugs have been messed with, I would pull those, and look for signs of the piston slapping them or look for the plug inside to see if it has become dislodged.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Just edit your original post I think you can change the title.
Nope only a mod or admin. can change the title that shows on the front page. That is normal set up for Vbulletin Discussion board software. Been there done that (been moderator and/or Admin using VBulletin for over a decade) Never understood why VBulletin does it that way.

If the glow plugs have been messed with, I would pull those, and look for signs of the piston slapping them or look for the plug inside to see if it has become dislodged.
ohhhhh. now that would be sweet!!! unless of course it damaged top of a piston. Other wise would be easy repair.

Wolfman or anyone else...... do you know of any things to keep my eyes open for that is a typical issue with this model tractor or typical to any tractor from Mid 80's? There is 375ish hours on the meter so I assume that is 1375 hours?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There was a whole family of these tractors (L175, L185, L235...) that were all similar and had similar problems.

You may not have a water pump. Smaller tractors (like my L185) were thermo siphon. You need to be sure the radiator is clean on the inside and the outside. They overheat and crack the head if not taken care of.

The steering column needs to be taken care of - they leak water into the box and where you live that will freeze and break your steering. See the ARTICLES tab and there are 3 parts to read (one linked below)
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2010/01/how-to-repair-a-steering-box-part-1/

The transmission will have a filter screen (below and behind the left foot board) that should be inspected and cleaned once you get it running.

The transmissions also leak water if left out in the open so you should change the fluid (there are several drains some on the rear axle) and then keep it covered up as best you can.

Search the Forum for the tractors in the L series and you will find a lot of good information.

Welcome and good luck with the tractor. If you get it going, you will love it.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
There was a whole family of these tractors (L175, L185, L235...) that were all similar and had similar problems.

You may not have a water pump. Smaller tractors (like my L185) were thermo siphon. You need to be sure the radiator is clean on the inside and the outside. They overheat and crack the head if not taken care of.

The steering column needs to be taken care of - they leak water into the box and where you live that will freeze and break your steering. See the ARTICLES tab and there are 3 parts to read (one linked below)
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2010/01/how-to-repair-a-steering-box-part-1/

The transmission will have a filter screen (below and behind the left foot board) that should be inspected and cleaned once you get it running.

The transmissions also leak water if left out in the open so you should change the fluid (there are several drains some on the rear axle) and then keep it covered up as best you can.

Search the Forum for the tractors in the L series and you will find a lot of good information.

Welcome and good luck with the tractor. If you get it going, you will love it.
Mucho thanx. Great info. Just what I was looking for. Look forward to any other hints others may have too. I will search as well using key word(s) "L series"

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
There was a whole family of these tractors (L175, L185, L235...) that were all similar and had similar problems.....
I get the L175-235 is similar as mentioned above. Now looking closer there is a vast number of "L" models

With that in mind.... where in the "L seriese" does the commonality sorta disappeear from my L235 4wd. I want to read as much as I can but would also like to avoid things that really are not pertenent. So does commanility stop around the 305 or is it further up in the 2xxx models or?

Last edited:

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Watch the oil pressure, they like to push out the cam oil plugs.

E/S

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Watch the oil pressure, they like to push out the cam oil plugs.

E/S
Can you offer more detail on this? We have an engine knock etc. and wonder if this may be why.... or led to why.

Thanx in advance