need help with front axle oil leak.

buck19delta

Equipment
b1750
Jul 18, 2014
kentucky
hey guys ! im new to orangetractortalks... i got my very first tractor on 25th of june. its needed a lot of work, as the previous owners seemed to only repair things that stopped the little tractor from moving.. greasing things, and general maintenance didnt seem on their list.

luckily everything thats expensive, ( engine, 4x4, transmission, and everything hydrolic fil, and 3 point system etc, seems in excellent shape, and works perfectly.

i have just been busy fixing everything else.. radiator, bent 3 point parts, seat, throttle lever, steering bushing, rear axle hubs, rebuilt badly bent bucket, broken grease fittings, and next will be headlights, and rewire all the lights, and apply new hood stickers, replaced broken grill. ( i repainted everything orange, and the frame gloss black, which makes it look MUCH better, as it was really scratched up, and had a few dents i had to knock out of the hood))

anyway.... heres my problem. i have a oil leak at the front axle, where the axle shaft leaves the hub.

i am not a total noob to mechanical things... i know that its the axle seal thats leaking oil. my question is... in a car, this is USUALLY due to the bearings wearing, and letting the axle sit lower/ higher, and pulls the seal and allows oil to seep out. ( usually a real axle issue. ).

anyway. i dont know much about tractors. and im not sure if i need to replace the seal.. or possibly the bearings as well. the tractor has 1050 hours on it.

my question is... WHAT USUALLY, needs to be replaced when a axle is leaking oil?? seal.... bearings and seal??

i MIGHT have caused the leak unattentionally. i replaced all the oil in everything, and i filled the axle full to about 1/4-1/2 inch from the filler hole. ( it was lower than that originally approx 1-1.5 inch from hole..., i NOW suspect it might have leaked out as im pretty sure 1-1.5 inches below filler hole is too low, it leaked oil out and its now back to about 1 inch from the filler hole.... im not sure if its done leaking though, it seems to be going to leak until its even with the axle seal.

COULD i have over filled it, causing the oil to leak out?? or do you think it originally leaked out, as there was no oil leak until i refilled it?

1. what usually has to be replaced when the axle seal leaks?
2. did i over fill, by filling it to within 1/4-1/2 inch from filler hole??

heres my little baby and me mowing. YESTERDAY was my first day actually working the tractor. I DID NOT HAVE A LEAK, UNTIL AFTER I FINISHED MOWING. BEFORE MOWING, THERE WAS NO LEAK..i appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You may have an oil level plug part way down the side of the axle. If you have 3 plugs, top, middle, bottom. The one in the middle is for the oil level. Just fill it till it starts to run out. Not sure what in takes to pull it apart to replace the seal

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have had that problem over the years. My dealer told me to drain the fluid in the differential and out drives and replace it with 90w gear oil. On most of them, that worked very well. In some events, I have had to replace the seals. With your mechanical ability, replacing the outdrive seals should be straight forward and simple. Just take it apart and see what it needs. It's unlikely that you have gear or bearing damage unless the previous owner ran it when it was dry.

buck19delta

Equipment
b1750
Jul 18, 2014
kentucky
I have had that problem over the years. My dealer told me to drain the fluid in the differential and out drives and replace it with 90w gear oil. On most of them, that worked very well. In some events, I have had to replace the seals. With your mechanical ability, replacing the outdrive seals should be straight forward and simple. Just take it apart and see what it needs. It's unlikely that you have gear or bearing damage unless the previous owner ran it when it was dry.

it was not ran dry. i did refill with 90 gear oil..... so, looks like i might have to pull it apart and see what the problem is. dang it.

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
it was not ran dry. i did refill with 90 gear oil..... so, looks like i might have to pull it apart and see what the problem is. dang it.
It's not too bad of a job, I just replaced the seals on my B7200. You can see where mine was leaking in the pic.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My dealer told me to drain the fluid in the differential and out drives and replace it with 90w gear oil.
Your dealer need to get a different job , That's got to be the worst advice I've heard, (I'm really holding back on what I really think).
That's as bad of advice as " Fill it with STP and It'll quit smoking!

There is NO substitute or bandaid to replacing a failed part, and most of the time it's a deeper problem that's really causing the failure, and ignoring it will just cause you a bigger expense.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Wolfman, I always look forward to your posts. I wish you were in SC so I could use your services. I had the same response when he told me to use the 90w. I didn't see how that was a good idea. The dealer in question was one of the first in the US and is encyclopedic when it comes to Kubota products. I have done this on 3 machines. It stopped the leak and the machines are still fine.Here, in SC the temperature is seldom low enough for the oil to not remain flowable. Having said that, it might not be such a great idea in the north, particularly in the winter. You are right, nothing fixes a problem like fixing the problem.

MMudd

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jun 3, 2014
Cnetral MO
I thought the front axels took 90wt gear oil after looking at my book. That is what I put in mine B7100. Also, my book said to fill the oil to the top of the axel housing? Only found two plugs, a drain and one on top of the axel housing on right side. That seemed strange to me, as ususally differential housings do not need to be filled up 100%? Am I way off base here?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I thought the front axels took 90wt gear oil after looking at my book. That is what I put in mine B7100. Also, my book said to fill the oil to the top of the axel housing? Only found two plugs, a drain and one on top of the axel housing on right side. That seemed strange to me, as ususally differential housings do not need to be filled up 100%? Am I way off base here?
No never fill full, here are the specs.

Attachments

buck19delta

Equipment
b1750
Jul 18, 2014
kentucky
just a question, as i have never opened up this type of axle.

its NOT really possible for the axle oil, to drain out thru the outdrives is it?

for instance... overfilling the axle could not let the oil drain into the outdrives, and then out around the outer axle seal ???????

because i filled my axle full to just below the fill hole. and it seems to have dropped about a inch. i was wondering it it was possible i overfilled it.... and the extra oil decided to move thru the seals until the level drops to normal. im not trying to ask a dumb question. ;(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is possible that the oil can travel from the differential to the gear cases if the seals are bad.
But I'm betting that you had an air pocket the just burped.

If your concerned pull the axle case plugs and drain they should have the same amount in each side.