PTO won't disengage - L3200

MikeCHS

Equipment
Kubota L3200 HST
I was running my rotary cutter this morning and find when I disengage the PTO it isn't stopping. I don't see any change whether I move the switch forward to engage or back to disengage.

I did a search but evidently didn't do the right string. I haven't taken off the cutter yet since I need to get done but obviously I need to be able to shut it off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I had the same thing happen with my L3800. I posted on here and somebody had the solution quickly. Follow the cable from the PTO on/off level to where it attaches to the shaft that goes into the tractor. It might look like nothing is binding it up, but take some good spray lube and spray up the end of the shaft, in the seam. I did that and it worked like it should, the pto shut off or turned on with the lever. Only takes a little dust to get in there to make it stick. Hope it helps.

MikeCHS

Equipment
Kubota L3200 HST
Thanks Rob - I got I got it cleaned up and took a look at it but don't have any spray. It does look like that's what is going on from the way the cable is not really showing any movement when I pulled it back. I have put a bunch of hours on that thing in some really overgrown pasture and there is brush everywhere.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have an L3200 as well and reading this site has me convinced to keep the critter very clean, tidy and well lubed. I'm so used to old iron with so much slop that everything moves all over the place and rarely freezes up. I think I have to take care of the new one so it doesn't get that way! :D

MikeCHS

Equipment
Kubota L3200 HST
Yep - this one doesn't like to be dirty. :) I have been running this one for 12 hours over the last two days and it did have a build up around the linkage. Cleaned it off and sprayed some lube and it is all better.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
One thought for you guys who spend hours slogging through either wet brush or deep brush that spatters all over your "innards..."

Lubricating can also prevent build-up in the future, as well as help come cleaning time. I use WD-40 but dry silicone will work too. After you wash your tractor, dry it off really good (I use a weedie blower to get 90% of the water off) then chase whats left with a towel. Once its mostly dry, the WD-40 will coat and displace any leftover water. I wipe down the whole lower side and under the fenders. The fish oil in the formula attracts dust so you might want to wipe off any excess. I do this to my cement mixer all the time and it still looks like new.

If you use silicone, let the tractor dry overnight, then paint it in areas that attract grass particles and other goop. Mud, grime, and grass clipping "spooge" won't stick near as bad between washes.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, I like dry silicone on most parts, but on the body and other accessible parts furniture polish, oddly enough, works great. Also, any of the 'spray on' motorcycle cleaners that are petroleum based should work well.

adphotoman

Equipment
L3800 HST, FEL, Land Pride 6' finish mower, Land Pride box blade
Aug 23, 2016
Silver Springs, Florida
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm so glad I came across this site and this thread. After having quite a bit of difficulty getting my PTO to disengage I tried the obvious remedy of lubricating the cable and that did no good at all. I was starting to worry about a big mechanical problem when I decided it was time for an internet search. Lo and behold I can across this thread and it alleviated my angst and my mechanical issue in five minutes. So glad to find you folks.

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Dry silicone did the trick with my PTO sticking. Spray the cable at lever and where it enters housing. Part of regular service now.

Pine Tree Grower

Equipment
L3200HST
Jun 25, 2018
Soperton
I was running my rotary cutter this morning and find when I disengage the PTO it isn't stopping. I don't see any change whether I move the switch forward to engage or back to disengage.

I did a search but evidently didn't do the right string. I haven't taken off the cutter yet since I need to get done but obviously I need to be able to shut it off.

Watch this guy's video (I used PB Blaster and it worked!):

Pine Tree Grower

Equipment
L3200HST
Jun 25, 2018
Soperton

Watch this guy's video (I used PB Blaster and it worked!):